•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Kudos to Explore Scientific!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BillP

BillP

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:46 PM

5 years ago I purchased a 24mm ES68.  I have 2 that I binoview with.  Recently it started to develop a little rattle sound if I shook it.  The eye and field lenses were firmly in place so not those.  I suspected an internal retaining ring might have loosened.  I would have fixed it myself except that this eyepiece is Argon purged so did not want to struggle with that.  So I sent an email to Explore Scientific Support and asked them if I can return it for repair.  The quickly sent me an "RMA" number and image to print and put on the package.  I paid the shipping to get it to them.  Today I got my eyepiece returned and repaired and at no cost (other than the postage to send to them)!  No other questioning between me sending it to them and them repairing and returning.  This is how warranty service should be!! 

Kudos to Explore Scientific!! bow.gifwaytogo.gifhamsterdance.gif

Edited by BillP, 04 March 2021 - 04:47 PM.

• jimandlaura26, BRCoz, scotsman328i and 31 others like this

#2 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:01 PM

5 years ago I purchased a 24mm ES68.  I have 2 that I binoview with.  Recently it started to develop a little rattle sound if I shook it.  The eye and field lenses were firmly in place so not those.  I suspected an internal retaining ring might have loosened.  I would have fixed it myself except that this eyepiece is Argon purged so did not want to struggle with that.  So I sent an email to Explore Scientific Support and asked them if I can return it for repair.  The quickly sent me an "RMA" number and image to print and put on the package.  I paid the shipping to get it to them.  Today I got my eyepiece returned and repaired and at no cost (other than the postage to send to them)!  No other questioning between me sending it to them and them repairing and returning.  This is how warranty service should be!! 

I too want to express gratitude for them, for the same reason.  I just sent them a 17mm ES 92 deg because there is a very large dust mote on the inside of the eyepiece on top of the last element.  They said they were take care of it for me and sent me an RMA.

Kudos to Explore Scientific!

Edited by Tyson M, 04 March 2021 - 05:31 PM.

• Midnight Skies and Stellar1 like this

#3 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:02 PM

Hi bill I think regarding good old fashioned customer services did not exsist anymore!? I guess in some cases it still exsists

you seem to get more perks on your side of the pond with Exsplore scientific.i did see an Scott Roberts interview not so long ago now, and he quoted something along the line in a customer puchased Exsplore scientific eyepieces and mis unfortunate events happened in a house fire obviously the eyepieces where beyond repair or use the customer returned them then according to the story thay replaced them.

Edited by Supernova74, 04 March 2021 - 05:04 PM.

• Stellar1 and teashea like this

#4 CuriousSubstance3

CuriousSubstance3

Sputnik

• Loc: Western Massachusetts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:44 PM

This is good to hear. I just purchased my second "grown up" eyepiece, an ES 8.8mm 82 deg., and I'm glad they care.

Edited by CuriousSubstance3, 04 March 2021 - 06:01 PM.

• teashea likes this

#5 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:52 PM

Hi bill I think regarding good old fashioned customer services did not exsist anymore!? I guess in some cases it still exsists
you seem to get more perks on your side of the pond with Exsplore scientific.i did see an Scott Roberts interview not so long ago now, and he quoted something along the line in a customer puchased Exsplore scientific eyepieces and mis unfortunate events happened in a house fire obviously the eyepieces where beyond repair or use the customer returned them then according to the story thay replaced them.

Yes we heard about that. Technically their warranty says they aren’t responsible for damage from abuse. Whether they would replace a dropped and damaged eyepiece is debatable, apparently they have before, but technically they aren’t obligated to. So if you do drop your ES eyepiece, you should burn it first before you ask for a replacement 🔥

It does seem like a rattle or dust mote aren’t necessarily signs of abuse so I would hope they would fix those based on their generous warranty. Good to hear that is the case.

Scott
  • BillP likes this

#6 sportsmed

sportsmed

Ranger 4

• Loc: Hot Springs, AR

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:55 PM

Its funny, I was searching for Telescope stores in Arkansas the other day and realized that Explore Scientific has a store/warehouse in northern Arkansas. Its the first time I even noticed that, I might have to take a trip at some point haha. Glad to hear you had a good experience with them, I still love my ES 82"s.

#7 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:18 PM

That’s awesome! A good news story. ES have been under a lot of scrutiny lately and it’s good to hear they are still doing their best to honor customer service.

• viramus and James1996 like this

#8 PJBilotta

PJBilotta

Vostok 1

• Loc: Portland, Oregon

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:39 PM

I had a similar experience with ES 20/68 that wouldn't accept filters. Completely replaced it. Impeccable customer service - simply the best.

#9 aeajr

aeajr

Hubble

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:49 PM

I have not had a problem with any of my ES gear but it is good to know they really stand behind their product. 

• BFaucett and teashea like this

#10 peleuba

peleuba

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:14 PM

The quickly sent me an "RMA" number and image to print and put on the package.  I paid the shipping to get it to them.  Today I got my eyepiece returned and repaired and at no cost (other than the postage to send to them)!  No other questioning between me sending it to them and them repairing and returning.  This is how warranty service should be!! 

Do you think ES actually repaired it/tightened the retaining ring, or did they just send a new one?  I am just curious as either way, its very good service...

I have noticed that sometimes the vendors for imported stuff just replace rather then expend the time/material to fix.

• scotsman328i and faackanders2 like this

#11 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:47 PM

They do have the equipment there to repair an eyepiece and purge it, so they could have repaired it.

If the return was quick, they probably replaced it and will deal with the returned one later.

• scotsman328i and teashea like this

#12 BillP

BillP

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:13 PM

Do you think ES actually repaired it/tightened the retaining ring, or did they just send a new one?  I am just curious as either way, its very good service...

I have noticed that sometimes the vendors for imported stuff just replace rather then expend the time/material to fix.

Serial number is the same on the housing so I would say a repair.  The return was no quick so took a 2-3 months.  Communication was good as they open a ticket on it in their system which you then have access to so all correspondence and file exchanges or whatever are kept there and you can also see their comments to each other on the eyepiece and also leave additional questions or whatever to them.  I really liked that aspect.  Well organized.

Edited by BillP, 05 March 2021 - 11:17 PM.

• peleuba, Midnight Skies, James1996 and 2 others like this

#13 SDAngler

SDAngler

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA - USA

Posted 07 March 2021 - 03:09 AM

Just purchased my first ES, a 28MM 68.  It's been too cloudy to use it, but I'm very happy to hear such great things about their customer service...waytogo.gif 

• James1996 and teashea like this

#14 Tank

Tank

Skylab

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 07 March 2021 - 07:28 AM

I had a instance where they took care of me on a 9es120
however i dont have that one anymore.
Very happy with there sevice
Also enjyoying the 3 ES eyepieces i have the 25es100 the 17es92 and the 12es92
Thumbs up to ES
  • teashea likes this

#15 MrJones

MrJones

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:23 PM

I agree they are one of the best IMO. I have a VersaGo III mount that is the same as the Twilight 1. I lost one of the leg thumbscrews in grass and asked if they would sell me one and they just shipped me one!

#16 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted 01 April 2021 - 08:38 PM

Explore Scientific is amazing. They just returned my 17ES92 after repair....it is literally a brand new eyepiece.

Just have to give them kuddos

#17 scarubia

scarubia

Viking 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada.

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:10 PM

Sometimes suppliers surprise us by doing something that was not expected, like doing what we expected them to do. 

• scotsman328i and george tatsis like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics