•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Strange PI Integration Artifacts

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:47 PM

I am getting Strange PI Integration Artifacts using Adaptive Normalization, with "No Adaptive Scale Components" UNCHECKED.  These settings are unchanged from how I have using ImageIntegration w/ Adaptive Normalization for NB in earlier PI builds.  There is an "dotted line oval" inside M42, a "boomerang dotted artifact" to the left of M42.

This image has zero processing, only ImageIntegration and STF.  This is Ha 114x60s, using my Esprit 100 at f/4.13, ASI183mm-Pro, and Baader 7nm Ha filter.  I was surprised that a short 60s exposures would be my "long" stack for HDR, but 60s clips and left toe is WELL OFF the zero bound.

M42_Ha_60s1.png

#2 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:51 PM

Here is the PI Integration using Adaptive Normalization, BUT with "No Adaptive Scale Components" CHECKED.   NO other changes.

The "dotted line oval" inside M42, and "boomerang dotted artifact" to the left of M42 have disappeared, but there is now a Black Clipped area to the left of M42.  (The underlying data is FAR from Black Clipping.)

M42_Ha_60s2.png

#3 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:01 PM

Here is the PI Integration using Multiplicative with Scaling, again with "No Adaptive Scale Components" UNCHECKED.   NO other changes.

The artifacts have disappeared, and the Black Clipped area is NOT there.  This looks good. 

I normally prefer Adaptive Normalization for NB images, as it seems to GREATLY minimize edge overlap artifacts from minor rotations and dithering movements.  This result with Multiplicative with Scaling looks as good as Adaptive Normalization on the edges.  Has PI improved this in their latest release?

What is going on with Adaptive Normalization?

M42_Ha_60s3.png

#4 imtl

imtl

Gemini

• Loc: Down in a hole

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:24 PM

Honestly I stopped using it a while back. I don't find it that much useful and I kept getting the same artifacts you have without finding out what is causing it and how to control it properly. So I dumped it.

#5 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:26 PM

Here is another comparison, this time without any artifacts.  (I have previously NOT found artifacts in using Adaptive Normalization for NB; but NEVER found it worked on LRGB or NB with large framing differences.)   But, Adaptive Normalization shows different gradients compared to using Multiplicative with Scaling.   Below is Oiii stack of Tadpoles.  Notice that using Adaptive Normalization (below) has a much lighter bottom left corner.

Tadpole_O3_AdaptEq.png

Edited by SilverLitz, 05 March 2021 - 12:27 PM.

#6 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:30 PM

Here is the exact same data but using Multiplicative with Scaling.  Notice that using Multiplicative with Scaling (below)  bottom left corner is noticeably darker, but upper left corner is much lighter than the Adaptive Normalization version.

Tadpole_O3_MultScale.png

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics