•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using CPC 1100 HD's built in WiFi to transfer real time image data

Astrophotography Celestron Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ebk28

ebk28

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:28 PM

I am waiting for the delivery of a new CPC 1100 Deluxe Edge HD. It has a built in WiFi. Can this be used to connect an imaging camera attached to CPC to a computer to transfer real time images wirelessly so I would not need a USB wired connection? If so, what do you recommend for the software (I have a Mac and iPad) and any specific configurations I need to do at the CPC unit?  Thank you very much for any response. 

#2 Kelito

Kelito

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Washington, USA

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:57 PM

I don't believe this is possible. The WiFi built into Celestron mounts is for wireless control of the mount itself, for both alignment and GoTo purposes, from one of several compatible phone/tablet apps or computer software (for both Mac and iOS, I highly recommend Sky Safari Pro). It basically takes the place of the hand controller. You do that through either the built-in wireless network created by the mount, or by telling the mount to log in to your home wireless network.

For remote "wireless" imaging, you need to have some computer or other piece of hardware acting as an intermediary between your imaging camera and your WiFi network. The ZWO Air and Stellarmate are a couple of options. You can also do the same thing for cheaper with a Raspberry Pi. I use one for my imaging sessions so that I can control things from the warmth of the house once everything is set up. There's a great guide on how to get this set up here:

https://www.macobser...with-kstarsekos

Be aware that for photos of any duration (i.e., greater than 15 seconds or so depending on target in the sky) you'll run into a host of imaging issues with a fork mounted scope that's not on a wedge. You'll find lots of discussions on this site about how awful wedges are. I went the wedge route and had a lot of fun and some success with it, but ultimately wound up with an equatorial mount... and now basically only use my fork mount for visual and solar system photos.

Hope this helps, and enjoy the new telescope!

-Kelly

• ebk28 likes this

#3 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Skylab

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:22 PM

Celestron WiFi is for mount control only.

My signature explains how I use twin computers and Remote Desktop software to control mount, focuser and camera in an end to end 4K UHD system. I can observe indoors in the warm. This method is commonly employed by those pursuing EAA and there is an abundance of guidance in that Forum.
  • ebk28 likes this

#4 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:32 PM

Is this a new version as I didn't think the Any CPC's came with Factory Wifi

#5 mlord

mlord

Apollo

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:49 PM

This product?  CPC Deluxe 1100 HD:  https://www.celestro...rized-telescope

The description says it is compatible with the add-on WiFi adapter, but doesn't say anything about the scope having built-in WiFi.

#6 ebk28

ebk28

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:34 AM

My bad! WiFi is not built into the CPC 1100 EHD. I misread its brochure description on the add on WiFi module as being built in. Thank you for clarifying that WiFi is only for telescope control, not for image transmission. I'll look into ASIAir Pro and Raspberry Pi. Thank you for the link.

I am looking at CPC 1100 EHD as the one scope to do everything from visual imaging of DSOs with long to middle focal length (with 0.7x focal reducer) and astrophotography with the wedge, and ultimately very fast and wide field of view nebular photography with HyperStar addition. But if the wedge does not work out for long focal length DSO photography (which the Celestron brochure claims otherwise, especially with Permanently Programmable Error Correction), then perhaps this is a bad idea. I'll check out the forum on user's experiences on using the wedge with CPC fork mount. 

#7 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Skylab

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 05 March 2021 - 05:03 AM

You only need a wedge for long exposure AP. I sold mine when I realised I could instead pursue short stacked exposures on my Alt-Az. However, if you do want to pursue long exposure AP buy a GEM mount. A wedge can be a horribly frustrating device that is tedious to assemble.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Celestron, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics