•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3-4 more months to wait - or pivot?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sigo24

sigo24

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:29 PM

I ordered the ES ED80 FCD100 Feb. 7th and just got an email saying it should arrive at the warehouse in June. What would you do? 

Bottom line: I'm a beginner and need better optics than my Canon 24-240mm that I had for personal daytime use. I don't want to wait until June. I've tried a few sites, but am I not aware of a vendor that may have it sooner? Should I consider a different scope at this point? Am I just not informed it could take months even this far into COVID? I'm open to options, but not sure I want to go much higher in cost. 

My quick equipment situation / experience.

EQ6-R as of a few weeks ago. Been practicing ever since with my EOS RP + 240mm + Astronomik CLS filter. Prior to this I just had an Astromaster AZ 70.... I've been able to capture acceptable images, but obviously limited by my focal length and lens quality.

Thank you for your opinions in advance!

Edited by sigo24, 04 March 2021 - 07:13 PM.

• scotsman328i likes this

#2 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:43 PM

Have you looked at other 80mm triplets, e.g the Astro-Tech AT80EDT? Check with Astronomics to see if they expect the next shipment within 3 months, but you may be faced with a wait wherever you go.

Also, you may be happy with a good FPL-53 ED doublet, depending on your needs. That may open you up to more scopes -  I'm happy with the AT72EDII.

• Jon Isaacs, scotsman328i and dswtan like this

#3 sigo24

sigo24

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:07 PM

Thanks. Will take a look at others for sure. Made the original purchase based on multiple reviews and threads. Would love to validate it’s also just worth the wait for the quality of the FCD.

#4 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:15 PM

Thanks. Will take a look at others for sure. Made the original purchase based on multiple reviews and threads. Would love to validate it’s also just worth the wait for the quality of the FCD.

Yep! I’d say pivot! Alpha definitely pointed you into the right direction.

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:38 PM

You've probably painted yourself into a corner with the lowest price conditional. A quick search for that or similar scopes in that price range --- seem all are backordered, more on the way, etc. etc. I assume it is more related to demand being up, and not so much CoVid slowing down production or delivery. You are competing against other amateur astronomers on a budget with the same idea. Under those conditions --- patiently waiting seems the only reasonable option.

On the other hand --- This >>> could be in your hands in a few days... for double the price.

Getting things earlier does indeed have value; the cost of time varies from person to person.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 33 espirit 80 ED APO Triplet.jpg

#6 Avgvstvs

Avgvstvs

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:08 PM

Yes cancel the order and make sure the next scope is in stock.

I always phone them up before placing any orders.

Again lowest price is not always the best

#7 Mitchell M.

Mitchell M.

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mountains of Western NC

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:09 PM

ORION (telescope.com) has the ED80 ($499.99) with the expected ship date 4/17. Ed Ting just re-reviewed the scope a couple weeks ago. They also got the ED80T CF ($999.99) with a ship date 4/29.

It has been my limited experience that they're pretty close on their expected ship date.

#8 KTAZ

KTAZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:22 PM

You've probably painted yourself into a corner with the lowest price conditional. A quick search for that or similar scopes in that price range --- seem all are backordered, more on the way, etc. etc. I assume it is more related to demand being up, and not so much CoVid slowing down production or delivery. You are competing against other amateur astronomers on a budget with the same idea. Under those conditions --- patiently waiting seems the only reasonable option.

On the other hand --- This >>> could be in your hands in a few days... for double the price.

Getting things earlier does indeed have value; the cost of time varies from person to person.    Tom

Well, that scope is also not in the same league as an Esprit!

#9 sigo24

sigo24

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:06 PM

To add I'm also looking to start my adventure down the Messier object catalog. 400mm seems a little short I would think.

I did decide to spend a little more. I just jumped on an open box of ES ED102 FCD100 f/7 ($1600) at High Point. The larger aperture and FL of 700mm seems to work for most objects, but for M31 I may want to consider a reducer depending on framing.

While this is a little knee jerk, I'm ready to make the adjustments to my plan and accept the probable less time unguided until I take the next steps. Although 3 minutes right now with my Canon is very nice lol.

Edited by sigo24, 04 March 2021 - 09:06 PM.

#10 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 06 March 2021 - 08:58 PM

Keep your place in line for now.  Buy something used off the classified to hold you over.  Might even get something nicer than 

what you were originally wanting for less money.  At that point you have options.  You can always sell the used scope for almost what you have in it.if the used scope is really nice you can always cancel the order.

• DSOGabe likes this

#11 PJBilotta

PJBilotta

Vostok 1

• Loc: Portland, Oregon

Posted 07 March 2021 - 02:58 AM

I know it's hard when you want that great new scope. But right now, we all have to be a bit more patient.

Covid has so disrupted supply chains that everything is a mess and backordered. It doesn't help that billions of people also have slowed down enough to actually pause and look at the night sky.

You have been wanting and waiting for this scope. Be patient and it will eventually come. Don't settle for something else unless you truly feel it is a better choice. If you don't, every time you look through or image with that second choice, you'll wonder if your original plan would have been better.

Believe me, it's true. I originally chose wrongly and pined over the scope I didn't buy for years. And, then, I eventually admitted my error and bought it.

Edited by PJBilotta, 07 March 2021 - 03:00 AM.

#12 jerr

jerr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czarny Las, Poland

Posted 07 March 2021 - 04:27 AM

Providing that you need to wait for months I would keep an eye on a secondhand scopes that keep popping up on CN classifieds.
Another option would be to check European sites that ship to the US:
I see these in stock:

https://www.teleskop...gen-Auszug.html

https://www.altairas...actor-465-p.asp

One other site:

Telescope experts Astroshop

#13 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:15 AM

I did decide to spend a little more. I just jumped on an open box of ES ED102 FCD100 f/7 ($1600) at High Point. The larger aperture and FL of 700mm seems to work for most objects, but for M31 I may want to consider a reducer depending on framing.

Congrats. That should keep you busy along with your EQ-6.

#14 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:30 AM

I ordered a scope back in October 2020, i am still waiting it, by all that time waiting and wasted i could get something else and start imaging for a while, but i decided to wait, so i learn about waiting longer in my journey, and i will order another one even if it will take long time to be available.

• ram812 likes this

#15 RichA

RichA

Gemini

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:14 PM

I ordered the ES ED80 FCD100 Feb. 7th and just got an email saying it should arrive at the warehouse in June. What would you do? 

Bottom line: I'm a beginner and need better optics than my Canon 24-240mm that I had for personal daytime use. I don't want to wait until June. I've tried a few sites, but am I not aware of a vendor that may have it sooner? Should I consider a different scope at this point? Am I just not informed it could take months even this far into COVID? I'm open to options, but not sure I want to go much higher in cost. 

My quick equipment situation / experience.

EQ6-R as of a few weeks ago. Been practicing ever since with my EOS RP + 240mm + Astronomik CLS filter. Prior to this I just had an Astromaster AZ 70.... I've been able to capture acceptable images, but obviously limited by my focal length and lens quality.

Thank you for your opinions in advance!

buy a used scope.  You're likely to see one long before new scopes appear.  Your only other choice is spending a LOT more money for a premium scope.

#16 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 10 March 2021 - 04:17 PM

I ordered this same scope in January directly from Explore Scientific and was told August i would see it. Maybe they will arrive sooner? Dont forget ES gives you a lifetime warranty. To me thats worth the wait.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics