•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

There is no limit of exposure time with the SKY-WATCHER STAR ADVENTURER MINI?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 caballerodiez91

caballerodiez91

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:25 PM

Hello,

There is no limit of exposure time with the SKY-WATCHER STAR ADVENTURER MINI or MoveShootMove?

I mean, if I want to take a single image with a 200mm lens for example, can the exposure be like 5 straight minutes without trailing?

Thanks!

Edited by caballerodiez91, 04 March 2021 - 11:37 PM.

#2 qswat72

qswat72

Mariner 2

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:45 PM

Nope, I wouldn’t even want to go past 135mm on a SAM, or MSM. They aren’t built to handle those sorts of payloads. Even the full sized SWSA can’t do 5 minutes at 200mm unguided. So no, you cannot do the long exposures you mentioned on the mounts above.

#3 caballerodiez91

caballerodiez91

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:12 AM

Nope, I wouldn’t even want to go past 135mm on a SAM, or MSM. They aren’t built to handle those sorts of payloads. Even the full sized SWSA can’t do 5 minutes at 200mm unguided. So no, you cannot do the long exposures you mentioned on the mounts above.

Thanks.

I got this answer form move shoot move:

• longer focal lengths may be used if the effect of torque is considered. In order to not exceed recommended torque and possibly damage the tracker, the maximum length of your lens must be 305mm (12 inches) or less.

#4 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:29 AM

Unless are using a truly slow lens or a very archaic DSLR it is quite unlikely that will need to take 5' or longer subs.

Anyway, the practical limit for exposure with these devices is given basically by three parameters.

First and foremost, the sky/target brightness (you do not have to take the longest subs, but the rightly exposed subs. I could, but do not take 5' subs because this would mean "burning" the brighter areas).

Second, the accuracy of your alignment to the pole

Third, the tracking device intrinsic mechanical accuracy.

If are good with the polarscope, and take your time to trim it, you can attain a polar alignment good enough for 5' at 200mm; however it is highly unlikely that the mechanical accuracy of the Star Adventurer will allow you to take such subs without trailing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics