•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI AIR PRO + STAR ADVENTURER guiding help. Please.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cresfactor

Cresfactor

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:16 AM

Hi all, 

I recently changed my entire setup to a quicker portable one. 

Redcat 51

Staradventurer pro 

Asi Air Pro
Asi 294 mc pro

Asi 120mm Mini

Zwo 30mm guidescope

I have tried two nights to connect my guidescope setup to the star adventurer to get guiding, with no luck. 

First night I tried with my Laptop, after sharpcap polar align. Got the RA calibration error: star did not move. (I didn't have dec off in settings this night). 

So I said ok, lets try with ASI AIR Pro, I set it all up, and after asi air polar align process i did guiding with asi air pro phd2, I got the following error again: 

wmonecgbbfp51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

I double checked the cables, even got a new ST4 cable. And yes, I am connecting st4 cable from guide camera to st4 slot on Star Adventurer.

Please help :( Anyone else have similar setup and can guide easily?

#2 Cometeer

Cometeer

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 05 March 2021 - 03:17 AM

I'd use 3s instead of 1s guide exposures, but that's not the issue here.

Check the calibration step and Max RA step. They should be 2000 and 1000 respectively (max DEC step doesn't matter for the SWSA). If the step size is too small, it would result in the issue you are experiencing. 

• Astronut07 likes this

#3 joeytroy

joeytroy

Messenger

• Loc: Belen, NM, USA

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:40 PM

Check out this video may help. He starts auto guiding at 23:09 but it maybe worth to watch the whole tutorial. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=-38WLuW-koY

Also make sure to update your firmware on the ASI120. You will need to plug the camera into your computer with the USB cable and run the update

https://astronomy-im...oftware-drivers

#4 RogerM

RogerM

Ranger 4

• Loc: California

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:23 PM

So it appears that you have the guide camera connected and that the ASIAir recognizes is (based on some stars visible in the screen shot.  for your ST-4 cable, make absolutely certain that it is wired 1:1 (hold up each end of the cable with the connectors side-by-side, the color coding should match left to right.)

Double check in the ASIAir app that the telescope/mount setting is set to 'On-Camera-ST4' and that the switch on the right is enabled.

#5 Cresfactor

Cresfactor

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:30 PM

Thank you for your advice, I tried all of these steps mentioned above. 
I even made sure multiple st4 cables were tried, nothing :(

Check out this video may help. He starts auto guiding at 23:09 but it maybe worth to watch the whole tutorial. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=-38WLuW-koY

Also make sure to update your firmware on the ASI120. You will need to plug the camera into your computer with the USB cable and run the update

https://astronomy-im...oftware-drivers

Thanks for this. 

Ok this may sound stupid, but in the first video, he talks about doing the guiding when you're already pointing to your target and not at pole. Does this mean I've been doing it wrong because I keep trying to guide at the NCP??!?! Like the stars there don't move much?

Could that be it, and I just need to slew the scope over to another area of sky where my target is, and then start guiding?

#6 joeytroy

joeytroy

Messenger

• Loc: Belen, NM, USA

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:59 PM

Correct don’t guide at the pole because it’s not going to move slew to your target and then start the guiding. I normally slew to my target start guiding and let it get moving and work on my focus next and then setup the capture after I’m done with focusing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics