•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sh2-101 Tulip

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mika76

Mika76

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:34 AM

I wanted to share my first SHO image based on starless tonemapping in Pixinsight (using Starnet). I have been struggling with SHO for some time (years!), and I didnt really "get" the tonemapping technique. In the past I used to work only on the SHO composite, while now I just use the starless SHO image for colors and the Ha as the luminance layer, combined with the LRGBcombniation process in PI. The difference in the end result is quite stunning to me, with the same data. Many (most?!) of you here probably understand this since ages, but it took me some time to get there! Any comments on things that could be improved (I know, RGB stars!!) would he appreciated. As a side note the data is from end of 2019, this years restrictions have meant zero data for me.

High res picture here: https://www.astrobin...1a9/B/?nc=userĀ 

Mikael

Attached Thumbnails

• FinalSHO2_scaled.png

• astrovienna, buckeyestargazer, jdupton and 9 others like this

#2 astrovienna

astrovienna

Gemini

• Loc: The NoVa White Zone

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:29 AM

Very nice image, Mikael.  The colors are really well done.  As for Ha as luminance, a lot of times I find that to work out well on emission nebulae, but sometimes using all three channels for luminance can actually give more detail.  If you use layers in Photoshop, you can select which channels to use, and what % to use of each, in any given area by apply masks of varying shades from black to white.  You can also do this in PI, with GAME script masks, but I find it's a bit harder that way.

I hope you can get out into the field again soon.

Kevin

#3 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Viking 1

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:03 AM

Very nice,  I like the picture of the person in the lower left, just above the bright star in the gold part of the tulip.

Atleast that is what I see.      Thanks for sharing,   Joe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics