•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

After 3 years, now having a few problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Apollo

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 05 March 2021 - 06:50 AM

I've enjoyed my setup in my observatory for 3 years but recently I am experiencing a few issues which I think are all power related.  I control two scopes and the usual accessories (filter wheels, imaging cameras, guide cameras, auto-focusers, dew heater, etc) through power coming from my house which is regulated via a 12 VDC (13.8 nominal V) box on the pier.  This runs up to the both the AP mount CP-4 control box and my C11.  On the C11, I have a Linx power panel with Anderson connectors and a powered 3.0 hub for accessories to receive power.  The hub USB cable runs down through the mount to the laptop.  All has worked well for 3 years but suddenly, I am noticing a few hiccups like a filter wheel sometimes not working and most recently a view on my PHD2 screen of a snowy/grainy image which flickers to the normal black one would expect- never seeing any stars.  

With this background, I was curious what type of HUBS and other accessory connection devices (power panels) folks have found to be very good.  For example, I noticed the Acroname hub but the price is eye popping.  However, if it is the best, I'll certainly get it.  

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:52 AM

I am noticing a few hiccups like a filter wheel sometimes not working and most recently a view on my PHD2 screen of a snowy/grainy image which flickers to the normal black one would expect- never seeing any stars.  

The PHD image isnt a USB problem. If it didnt connect it might be, but not this. Downloading an image youre not expecting is more likely to be a setup/optical issue.

#3 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:24 AM

This might sound like a silly answer to your question however have you tried switching everything off and then on again!?jas anything shorted out your unaware of,check all cables are connected properly,no damaged cables.maybe you could unplug every device you use in observatory then plug in again one by one,see if you can troubleshoot that way

Edited by Supernova74, 05 March 2021 - 08:26 AM.

#4 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Apollo

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:29 AM

This might sound like a silly answer to your question however have you tried switching everything off and then on again!?jas anything shorted out your unaware of,check all cables are connected properly,no damaged cables.maybe you could unplug every device you use in observatory then plug in again one by one,see if you can troubleshoot that way

Not a silly answer- I tried all of that but still investigating.  Thanks for the suggestions.

#5 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Apollo

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:31 AM

The PHD image isnt a USB problem. If it didnt connect it might be, but not this. Downloading an image youre not expecting is more likely to be a setup/optical issue.

yes- not sure what the problem is but still checking all possibilities including setup/optical issues but after working non-stop in a permanent setup for 3 years seems pretty weird.  It can be a voltage drop coming from the Linx power panel and after speaking with Terry Platt (SX cameras) he is suspecting this could be one problem.  I just need to figure it out. 

#6 outofdark

outofdark

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SLC

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:35 AM

Just a FYI...  Anderson power pole connectors are silver and will corrode.  The are not ment to be static, rather plugged in and out from this me to time to help clean the corrosion. Check your power and possibly use no-ox on the connectors.

• happylimpet likes this

#7 my-spot

my-spot

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South East Michigan

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:43 PM

Just a FYI...  Anderson power pole connectors are silver and will corrode.  The are not ment to be static, rather plugged in and out from this me to time to help clean the corrosion. Check your power and possibly use no-ox on the connectors.

If there isn't a mechanical issue like bent or over-stressed contacts and/or wire crimps, then plugging and unplugging connections will "fix" contact issues about 90% of the time. If the Anderson power pole connectors are actually silver plated, they could be tarnished to black and still work just fine. Silver tarnish is a very thin oxide and the terminals' mechanical contact force easily breaks through it. (That comes from 30 years of electrical connector design and engineering in my day job.)

• archer1960 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics