•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can not connect to my telescope wifi

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Albanyco

Albanyco

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Albany, NY

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:05 AM

Hi guys,

I have a skywatcher 250P that I got over the summer. I have been unable to get my ipad or my iPhone to connect to it. I would like to use sky safari to control the telescope as I understand the issues with having to use two devices were sorted out. Does anybody have a YouTube video that can help? I’ve searched but have not found anything useful. I did download the synscan app and I can not connect to my telescope with that either. Thanks,

Garrett

#2 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:12 AM

Hi just a silly question maybe did you align your scope first with the supplied synscan handset!?

#3 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:20 AM

Is it possible you got an older model that didn't come with the integrated Wifi? (It's a fairly recent addition)

#4 Albanyco

Albanyco

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:33 AM

It has the wifi, I can see it my wifi list but it won’t connect. No, I did not align it with the handset first, I pointed it north and had it set to zero on the degree thing on the side. By the way, is that supposed to read 0 with the scope being level? Mine points up a little bit.

#5 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:54 AM

Just checking simple possibilities.

Did you first connect the OTA Wifi and Tablet (or phone)?

Sometimes a stronger Wifi signal (home) will bump out the OTA Wifi.

#6 Albanyco

Albanyco

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:50 AM

No, I could not get it to connect. Perhaps that is the issue, a lot of wifi around here.

#7 Albanyco

Albanyco

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:08 AM

Tried to post a pic of the mount but can’t seem to figure out how to do it in a reply....at any rate the alt/az mechanism definitely has the wifi symbol and it does put out a network I can see on my iPad it just won’t connect and doesn’t really give me any information. If there is interference is there a cable I can use and just plug it into my MacBook?

#8 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:18 AM

No you cannot use Mac note book I believe seems to be a little confusion along the way skywatcher do a separate WiFi dingle,adapter is it that which is plugged into the azimuth base as you discribed in your post!? If that’s the case this device is not compatible to skysafari as i Believe skywatcher have there own platform app.

#9 Albanyco

Albanyco

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:16 AM

No, there is no separate dongle. Let me see if I can post a link to telescope specs, I think that may help clear up some confusion.

#10 Albanyco

Albanyco

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:25 AM

This is it https://www.skywatch...be-250p-synscan

#11 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:52 AM

Ok freedom find I get as it doesn’t loose its alignment when the scope is moved manually,however to the very best of my knowledge is the WIFI icon just means its compatible to other devices as mentioned skywatchers own app.it seems to me you still need the skywatcher WiFi module this usually plugs in to the auxiliary port of the mount!? Then there own app is downloaded form smartphone or iPad

then the useall process for skysafari you need to puchase the skyfi WiFi module separately this is required to operate the scope in the skysafari app which also is downloaded at a small cost.then what you need to do is connect the WiFi module via usb or pc connection with a cable which runs to the auxiliary port Next to the synscan HC cable goes then the synscan cable goes to the side of the azimuth base of your dob.

then once the scope is aligned from your synscan HC then what happens is you switch the skyfi module on as the WiFi signal processes you can then go into settings click on skysafari etc then the scope should be connected.however it’s also. Important that you go through sky safari settings click on telescope brand name telescope type ie azimuth,Equatorial click on that then you should be ready to control from the skysafari planetarium app and a round curcle with cross hairs should appear on the same object you previously aligned with the synscan HC.

Edited by Supernova74, 05 March 2021 - 11:55 AM.

#12 Albanyco

Albanyco

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:00 PM

Ok I made some progress, I was able to connect and move the telescope with the synscan app. Still can not get sky safari to connect.

#13 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:21 PM

Ok I made some progress, I was able to connect and move the telescope with the synscan app. Still can not get sky safari to connect.

Like I said if you haven’t got the skyfi WiFi module $250 or there about s you won,t be able to go on skysafari it’s different hardware and software as synscan app has nothing to do with skysafari it’s skywatchers own app

#14 Albanyco

Albanyco

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 03:13 PM

Ah ok, so being able to control the telescope from your phone over wifi and the adapter are different? I just thought they built it into the new mounts.

#15 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2021 - 03:28 PM

Ah ok, so being able to control the telescope from your phone over wifi and the adapter are different? I just thought they built it into the new mounts.

Well put it this way I’ve never heard of skywatcher putting in a built in WiFi module into there dob line up of scopes 

there smaller range of mounts do ie like the star discovery mount,AZ gti mount I believe sky safari is superior to the skywatcher platform anyway,admittedly even if it’s more exspensive 

#16 NearVision

NearVision

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:56 PM

You may want to check the topics on the SkyWatcher AZ-GTI over in the Mounts section. Some of them talk about connection problems with Apple devices. From what I remember of the discussions the problem is the OS can't handle 2 apps being active at the same time for most versions. If you can stay connected to the mount with the SyncScan app then your WIFI is good and it will be a matter of getting other apps to work also.

I've also seen cases where the default channel used by the mount WIFI is busy with other signals. The 2.4Ghz band is very full with WIFI, Bluetooth, ETC., you may want to use an app on your phone to check what channels are being used and how strong the signals are. Search for 'network analyzer' that includes WIFI. I use Android so anything I'd recommend may not have an Apple counterpart. If you find that the mount WIFI channel has some strong neighbors you can change it in the setup. You usually want your channel to be a few away from others for best isolation. If you default to channel 4 and there are others on that channel you may want to go to 1 or 7 or higher. My experience with the AZ-GTI is that it's a good WIFI system just not a very strong signal so it drops off quickly as you move away from the mount.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics