•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jellyfish

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JOEC.

JOEC.

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:24 AM

Imaged this last night. The weather finally cooperated and the full moon is gone

get.jpg?insecure

• DeanCN, chrysalis, PirateMike and 9 others like this

#2 Sam K

Sam K

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:36 AM

Very nice, Joe. 

• JOEC. likes this

#3 sbharrat

sbharrat

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:43 AM

Nice!! You really got a lot of detail here.

I see you used an L-Extreme. I take it then that this is an emission nebula? When skimming info about Jellyfish, I didn't see anything mentioning it as such so I wasn't sure whether I would be able to use my L-Enhance on it or whether I had to go no-filter. 

#4 rj144

rj144

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:31 PM

Very nice!

But I got to ask, why are photos like this in the beginner forum?  It seems like you have a lot of experience.

Awesome photo though!

• Mike in Rancho likes this

#5 dcm_guitar

dcm_guitar

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:37 PM

Well, I was pretty happy with my Jellyfish photo.....then I saw yours!!  The level of detail is REALLY nice.  I have roughly the same amount of exposure, but nowhere near that level of resolution.  That's a REALLY lovely pic!!!!

#6 JOEC.

JOEC.

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:11 PM

Very nice!

But I got to ask, why are photos like this in the beginner forum?  It seems like you have a lot of experience.

Awesome photo though!

Still a learner, only been at it for just over a year or so. Tried once about 15 years ago for about 6 months then life got in the way. So started back up after I retired and only for a short time. No real experienced just goo out and take pictures. However, everything so far has been working in my favor. PHD2 runs perfect for me. Last night went just over 4 hours to include a manual meridian flip and PHD2 stayed about .75 arc seconds or less off. Been like that since updating to multi star tracking. Also a lot of luck. I use APT for plate solving and aiming once on target to get the exact center I want. A real big plus for me is the pole master polar camera. I still consider myself a beginner but having fun. Just don't ask me technical stuff because I cannot answer. I have no idea why it works for me.

#7 JOEC.

JOEC.

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:19 PM

Nice!! You really got a lot of detail here.

I see you used an L-Extreme. I take it then that this is an emission nebula? When skimming info about Jellyfish, I didn't see anything mentioning it as such so I wasn't sure whether I would be able to use my L-Enhance on it or whether I had to go no-filter. 

Honestly I don't know for sure. I use the l-extreme because I know there is a lot of HA in this target and the main reason I use the L-extreme is that it lessens the overall stars in the image for me, my liking. I will use the l-enhance when I want a target with more color in it to show. Then I use an Astronomik L2 UV/IR filter for real brightly colored nebulae like Orion. Have not tried any of these filters on galaxies yet but from what I have read the extreme and enhance will not be good for that. But I really don't know, I just go out and image to enjoy myself and shock myself when it all works and I get a good image. Fascinating stuff to me.

• sbharrat likes this

#8 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alta Loma, CA

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:10 PM

Wow, really nice.  waytogo.gif

I also saw the first few entries go up in the monthly thread and thought, boy, did we end up in the experienced challenge somehow lol?

This looks like it will be a tough job.  Fainter than other recent targets, likely half invisible to a normal DSLR, and the Orion region setting so early now means there's very little time to be on target.

Figure just grab an hour here and there, night after night after night?

Beautiful image!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics