I am looking for a recommendation for a second scope. I have a Nexstar 6 SE SCT and have enjoyed using it but are wishing for more FOV. Even with focal reducers I am limited to about ½ degree FOV. I view mostly in the spring/summer/fall in a bortle 3 zone. I would like something that would give me at least a 2 degree FOV for larger DSOs.
I want to be able to repurpose my current alt/az mount, so am looking for just an OTA. I am not interested in serious astrophotography, but would like to continue my short-exposure EAA with my ZWO ASI224MC camera and Sharpcap, and also like to take afocal photos with my cell phone though the eyepiece. All my eyepieces are 1.25 inch and I don’t plan to upgrade them.
I have been reading about refractors and it seems that maybe a refractor in the f/5 range might fit the bill. From what I have read the more expensive ones minimize chromatic aberration, but I don’t know much this might be an issue for my purposes.
So, my requirements:
• Compatible with my current mount, Celestron says the weight limit is 12 lbs.
• Be able to mount a dovetail on the side on the OTA so that it will orient properly in the mount fork arm and not be so long that it hits the mount and limits elevation too much (although I have no need normally above 70 degrees).
• Be able to use 1.25 inch eyepieces, handle my uncooled astrocamera.
• Give a FOV of 2 degrees or more with up to 32 mm. eyepieces.
• Chromatic aberration not terrible for my purposes
• Budget of $500
Thanks in advance for any useful info that the always helpful CN community can provide.