•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASTAP platesolving in SharpCap unreliable?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:25 PM

Steve,

Are you binning the 183?

Yes, I am Rick at bin 2.

Steve

#27 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:35 PM

When SC does a plate solve, does it use gain and exposure settings that you may have made or does it have ‘set’ combination of exposure and gain?

#28 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:38 PM

When SC does a plate solve, does it use gain and exposure settings that you may have made or does it have ‘set’ combination of exposure and gain?

No Sharpcap uses what ever gain and exposure time you set.

Steve

#29 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• Loc: Arctic

Posted 07 March 2021 - 03:10 PM

If you are having trouble with plate solving with ASTAP, you can increase exposure time and gain. I use the highest gain and exposure time of 1 to 5 seconds.

#30 han.k

han.k

ASTAP Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: the Netherlands

Posted 07 March 2021 - 03:54 PM

For small fields you have to expose longer to see enough stars. Expose 20, 30 seconds or longer till it solves. For ASI183 binning 0 (auto) or 2.  I don't think gain makes much difference.

For small field you should have the H18 or G18 installed and H17 and G17 removed or not selected

The number of detected of stars are reported in the popup notifier and ASTAP GUI, stack menu ctrl+A. It should detect at least 30 but better 50 stars.

Han

Popup notifier showing 141 stars:

Untitled2.png

Stack menu:

Untitled.png

• Rickster, barbarosa, alphatripleplus and 3 others like this

#31 jrschmidt2

jrschmidt2

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Fitchburg, WI

Posted 07 March 2021 - 05:36 PM

Interestingly, I found better luck (with my small 0.5x0.4 FOV, and high gain) with SHORTER exposures vs. longer.  I had cases where my 5s exposure failed to solve, but my 1s exposure solved immediately.  Note that I am running at f/3 so highly reduced (and thus very bright).  But this shows that in at least some cases my former problems may have been that ASTAP seems more sensitive to over exposure vs. Astronomy.net.

#32 Rickster

Rickster

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NC Kansas Bortle 3 SQM 21.8+

Posted 07 March 2021 - 06:03 PM

I tried exposures from 1 to 30 sec, ASTAP bin set at 0 (auto), fresh downloads of ASTAP and H18 installed and selected.  And so on.  ASPS solved easily, so I don't think it was the number of available stars.  I did get ASTAP to solve a few times.  But repeating at the same settings would fail.  Evidently I still have a setting off somewhere.  I will post some screen shots of the settings.

• DSO_Viewer likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics