•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tripod mount rocking

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 davelpg

davelpg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:35 AM

Bought one of these a few months ago from our friends at Orion:

https://www.telescop...60/p/101877.uts

Seemed like a simple solution to mount binos on a tripod until...... I actually did and try as I might, the binos "rock" about an inch or two after I tighten the thing up.  Tried a couple of washers on the mounting bolt but "rock" still there but reduced.

Suggestions - including a different/better mounting adapter.

TIA

#2 harbinjer

harbinjer

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:14 AM

I had the same issue with a binocular recently, and 1 washer was enough. It does work perfectly with many of my binoculars, so the the adapter isn't at fault, I would say.

If a washer can't fix it, how about a small metal plate, with grippy rubber on it(like the stuff you buy to keep things from sliding).  Something that would hold the binocular body more than at just the hinge? 

Also can you tell us which binocular it is that isn't help in place well, and maybe a picture.

If you can't get that working, you could try something like this: https://www.adorama....rce=adl-gbase-p

Edited by harbinjer, 05 March 2021 - 11:14 AM.

• jcj380 and ihf like this

#3 davelpg

davelpg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the reply and the binos are the Orion Shoreview 10x42.

https://www.telescop...E6RU2qK2_Wmt7Mg

Photo at link with "rock" after tightening adapter to binos with washer(s). 

https://flic.kr/p/2kHgN5R

#4 jcj380

jcj380

Vanguard

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:59 AM

I had the same problem with my old 15x70s until I added a rubber washer to the mix.  Not rock tight, but a big improvement.

The other thought I had but didn't try was to cut a washer out of rubber kitchen shelf liner - the kind with a waffled texture that compresses a bit to get a good grip, not too smooth.

FWIW.

Edited by jcj380, 05 March 2021 - 12:01 PM.

#5 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:09 PM

Oh, that kind of rocking.  Yes, a rubber washer possibly backed by a steel one, if necessary, will likely give you the stiction you need.  Sometimes that "roll" axis is handy if mounted on a monopod or some p-grams.

My Pentax adapter came equipped with a hybrid rubber/metal washer and works well.

Rich

#6 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:51 PM

Because of the wrong type of rocking, I don’t use this type of mount adapter anymore. 
I found this to work much better

https://www.cloudyni...anks-to-john-f/

#7 davelpg

davelpg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:17 PM

I did find a hard plastic washer that now holds w/o the rocking. I'll end this with why did I and others have to resort to this fix to begin with? 🤔

#8 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Surveyor 1

• Loc: In the class 8/9 glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:25 PM

I did find a hard plastic washer that now holds w/o the rocking. I'll end this with why did I and others have to resort to this fix to begin with?

Probably because it’s a universal product but only tested on small sample of combinations.

#9 harbinjer

harbinjer

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 06 March 2021 - 01:59 AM

I did find a hard plastic washer that now holds w/o the rocking. I'll end this with why did I and others have to resort to this fix to begin with?

I would guess that "mounting point" was a ticky-box that had to be satisfied in designing the binoculars, and it was maybe tested on one mount adapter, but not 2-3, when the binoculars were being designed/prototyped?  The mount adapter isn't new. I would guess that the mounting hole isn't deep enough on the binocular to securely hold this adapter. 

Edited by harbinjer, 06 March 2021 - 01:59 AM.

#10 davelpg

davelpg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 March 2021 - 09:07 AM

I would guess that "mounting point" was a ticky-box that had to be satisfied in designing the binoculars, and it was maybe tested on one mount adapter, but not 2-3, when the binoculars were being designed/prototyped?  The mount adapter isn't new. I would guess that the mounting hole isn't deep enough on the binocular to securely hold this adapter. 

I did poke around here and there and found other mounting adapters of similar design. Common complaint by users:  rocking (with the washer "fix")

I did check the depth of the bino's mounting hole. It was deeper than the adapter's screw. 

#11 jcj380

jcj380

Vanguard

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 06 March 2021 - 09:56 AM

I've had binos that snugged down tight without washers while others needed washers.  Could be QC deficiencies or could just be slight manufacturing variation.  I get your point, but these are not laboratory-grade scientific instruments, at least based on cost.  YMMV.

• davelpg likes this

#12 ihf

ihf

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 06 March 2021 - 11:29 AM

I have never been able to tighten binos down enough so I could hold them while adjusting the view. One does work is to have a handle on the video head, grab the pistol grip or gimbal and adjust the view from there. That way no excessive force is put on the simple 1/4 or 3/8 inch screws.

#13 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 06 March 2021 - 11:54 AM

Various bino's mounting surfaces don't always match a particular bracket as well as it should.  Issues with fit can come up.  I have several L bracket types to choose from and they all fit a bit differently.   

I've also found that using a pan handle to move a video head "from the bottom up" to point the bino is far better than using the bino to steer the head "from the top down" through that small, easily loosened 1/4" hinge interface.

Rich

• jcj380 and WWTech like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics