•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Scope Nights Global Stargazing Forecast Outage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MRD

MRD

Vendor - Scope Nights

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Liverpool, UK

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:55 AM

As you’ve noticed the Scope Nights app isn’t receiving global stargazing forecasts at the moment. I’m currently looking into it and am hoping to issue a fix in the coming weeks.

Scope Nights global forecast uses a free public domain weather service with no service level agreement. It seems as though the service was updated but I didn't receive any prior notice. Unfortunately this particular update has broken the global stargazing forecasts in Scope Nights.

If you’re in the UK or US you should still be able to get a national stargazing forecast, even though the app may complain about the missing global forecast. I found that after restarting the app, the latest UK or US forecast is still displayed.

Free weather services are not the most reliable and are slowly being replaced by commercial services. As a result I was thinking of adding a more reliable commercial global weather provider within a new and improved version of Scope nights. There would obviously have to be a small subscription fee to cover my costs, but if that’s something you’d be interested in then let me know and I'll look into it further.

Also if you have any feature requests for a future version please let me know.

I’ll post an update in the coming weeks once I’ve had time to debug and test properly. Fingers crossed it's a fairly quick fix.

Clear Skies,
Martin

#2 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:24 AM

Well even as we share the same passion in Astronomy,and on the other side of the coin also I share your frustration,for most part for uk amateurs use clearoutside app.for me on most part I’ve found it not to be very accurate unfortunately it’s almost impossible to predict weather don’t always believe what the weather man is saying.if i relied on just one app like I just mentioned cannot tell you the many times the app stated green icons along the hour parameters only to find out it was,nt so clear outside after all packed up my scope cursing at the sky’s,now what I do is look at least 3 sources of information to predict the weather to rule out the average and if all three states good to go it generally is.

#3 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully you can find a bet to r source of data to ensure the best forecasts. I look at all the forecasts I can when there are clouds out....

Peter

#4 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Vanguard

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5ºW

Posted 07 March 2021 - 04:25 AM

I'm admin at netweather.tv which you might already know about? The owner, Paul, might be able to give you a hand in securing a decent source. 

team@netweather.tv

#5 Dave The Drummer

Dave The Drummer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 March 2021 - 04:36 PM

Ah! Good to finally know what's gone wrong.

Definitely interested in a paid version.

Looking forward to the app back in service as I've missed it a lot. Even though the weather in the UK has been uniformly awful.

Edited by Dave The Drummer, 07 March 2021 - 04:38 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics