•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What have I done to deserve this! :)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:32 AM

Screenshot_20210305-100856_Chrome.jpg

Been like this since Monday! Don't get it! Even recieved two peices of equipment this week! Still no clouds! Something ain't right! lol.gif

But I've taken advantage of every night so far and will until I can't. Finally broke a dry spell of doing almost nothing for months(clouds, tired, not feeling it, etc.).

Have done nothing but image M42 as right now it is in the one part of the southern sky in the early evening that's not obstructed. Only have about 2-3 hours from trees to trees! Been doing different exposures/gains to get a feel of what results to expect and have learned a bunch just this week! 

One thing I've really  learned is  patience and put in the time. Until now,  when I have is imaged, I seemed to be all over the place. Capture this one night, that the other night. Work on this, work on that.. and end up with a mess of files and a scattered brain!gaah.gif lol.gif

Wife will ask, "is it going to be clear tonight?"

"Yep!!"

"Great....."

grin.gif

Nah, she's good with me staying up a bit. Knows I've been waiting on some clear skies! She just falls asleep on the couch. 

Guess my one bit of advice for others just learning things, or have been for a while, is pick one object and concentrate on it for several days instead of being all over the sky!  Getting to know what results different exposures, etc. produce in the end has taught me a lot. 

Hope by the time I pick and choose through and process all I've got I will get to have something I feel I would be proud to hang on the wall! 

I hope anyone near me that is expecting equipment delivered in the next couple days has their package delayed! shocked.gif grin.gif lol.gif

• okiestarman56 and jeffreym like this

#2 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Apollo

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:45 AM

I like to tell people that AP is the one time I can say to my wife, "Honey, I'll be out all night" and not have her get angry about it :D.

• jeffreym, MeenSeen and MrDan like this

#3 windowpane

windowpane

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:47 AM

Duck!

#4 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:08 PM

"What have I done to observe this?"

#5 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:26 PM

Don,t jinx it then and share your good fortunes with other members you make it rain 

#6 imtl

imtl

Gemini

• Loc: Down in a hole

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:06 PM

I like to tell people that AP is the one time I can say to my wife, "Honey, I'll be out all night" and not have her get angry about it laugh.gif.

Or husband in the name of equality.

But that's because they do not appreciate our intimate relationship with our scopes and mounts....

#7 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:16 PM

Mine is very unreliable (New England) and very unpredictable.  Just 16hrs ago, it was said to be a clear night tonight, now it's clouds after 8pm.  
Just look at the bottom of my signature, I can guarantee you those dots gonna change from blue to white and versa within hours. It's like, they can't predict it anymore and their best guess is as good as mine by looking out the window. 
It happens the other way too. Go from mostly cloudy to completely clear within one hour from the predicted "cloudy all night". 
It makes it very challenging and frustration a good work out, clarrying out equpment and carrying it all back just a few hours later. 
Truth to be said, there has not being a clear night all night since December.  It's always 2-3hrs max, then it's foggy or cloudy. 
Sunday night looks good, but I have bet it's gonna change in the next 24-48hrs to something else. 

Edited by unimatrix0, 05 March 2021 - 01:18 PM.

#8 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Apollo

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:22 PM

Mine is very unreliable (New England) and very unpredictable.  Just 16hrs ago, it was said to be a clear night tonight, now it's clouds after 8pm.  
Just look at the bottom of my signature, I can guarantee you those dots gonna change from blue to white and versa within hours. It's like, they can't predict it anymore and their best guess is as good as mine by looking out the window. 
It happens the other way too. Go from mostly cloudy to completely clear within one hour from the predicted "cloudy all night". 
It makes it very challenging and frustration a good work out, clarrying out equpment and carrying it all back just a few hours later. 
Truth to be said, there has not being a clear night all night since December.  It's always 2-3hrs max, then it's foggy or cloudy. 
Sunday night looks good, but I have bet it's gonna change in the next 24-48hrs to something else. 

I'm from NH. We had a saying... don't like the weather? Wait a minute.

#9 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Apollo

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:24 PM

Or husband in the name of equality.

But that's because they do not appreciate our intimate relationship with our scopes and mounts....

There is a tee-shirt somewhere in this...

Astrophotographers: We do all our mounting at night.

• joeytroy and sbharrat like this

#10 joeytroy

joeytroy

Messenger

• Loc: Belen, NM, USA

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:26 PM

I like to tell people that AP is the one time I can say to my wife, "Honey, I'll be out all night" and not have her get angry about it laugh.gif.

You need a way to just polar align and come in and sit on the couch with your spouse with a whiskey or scotch. We have been marathoning Wicked Tuna lately while my ASI Air Pro has been snapping 600s subs for me. Life is good to be warm and channel surfing while my mount does all the hard work lol.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics