•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher Star Adventurer owners, how do you power your tracker?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cresfactor

Cresfactor

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:56 PM

I have to questions regarding this: 

1. Can you power this with a good Anker USB charging pack? 
2. When at home, can I use a USB socket to connect to my house power plug and power it via that? 

#2 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Apollo

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:05 PM

I used a Celestron Powertank 7Ah to power it. One long USB A to Mini USB cable running from the SA to the battery, which I kept under the tripod.

#3 DJL

DJL

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:04 AM

I started using mine with rechargeable AA's. It runs for more than a night on one set, as I discovered when I used to forget to turn it off. Then I got a powered USB hub to connect my DSLR to my camera indoors and also used it to drive the Star Adventurer.

#4 CoyoteVB

CoyoteVB

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: 38.896564, -121076889

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:11 AM

I have used a Anker USB battery pack.

#5 qswat72

qswat72

Mariner 2

Posted 06 March 2021 - 01:22 AM

I connect it to my home via the USB when I am there. If I’m traveling, I just use the battery compartment.

#6 TikiTom

TikiTom

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central WI

Posted 06 March 2021 - 04:22 AM

Depends on the location, but I power any of my 3 small trackers using either with a Anker cell phone battery pack or with wall 110v. I keep these units with fresh AA-battery installed too, just in case...

#7 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:29 AM

I do not have the SA but the Polarie which works at 5v too.

I have always used a phone charger, even in the cases when could have powered it from the grid or from a PC, because of the convenience.

Due to the very limited absorption of this class of device you do not need an especially large powerpack: I use a 7Ah generic "phone charger" and this lasts for several days (by summer may even think to charge the battery once a week)

#8 jimsmith

jimsmith

Mariner 2

• Loc: Herefordshire, UK

Posted 06 March 2021 - 08:30 AM

I bought an Anker PowerCore 10000 to power my Star Adventurer and it always cut out after a minute or two even though it was fully charged. It works fine with my iPhone so it must be something about the SA that it doesn't like.

I now use a 10Ah Tracer 12V LiPo battery with a car-to-usb adapter to give me 5V. That works fine for at least two hours.

#9 Cresfactor

Cresfactor

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 March 2021 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for the responses. Good to know I can buy a 20,000 mAh to run it. 

As for the home plug, I did try it plugging it into my extension cord running to my house which had a USB slot. So i connected the USB A to USB MINI cable to it, Seems to be working fine for now...I hope its not too much power?

#10 SteveInNZ

SteveInNZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:11 PM

The Star Adventurer draws less than 50mA, which is why the phone chargers turn off. They're designed to do that when the current draw is low, indicating a charged phone. All of the other trackers that I've measured draw much more than that.

Some people always run a dew strip, just to prevent the shutdown, but of course that chews through the power.

The low current draw makes them ideal for powering from low discharge AA's (like Eneloops) which will give you several nights on one charge. The low discharge type mean that you'll be ready to go next time too.

Steve.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics