•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Uses for 6" f/8 GSO primary?

ATM Astrophotography Beginner Mirror Making
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Keudn

Keudn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kansas

Posted 06 March 2021 - 10:51 AM

Hi guys,

I have recently come into possession (for free) of a 6" f/8 GSO primary mirror, and I have been thinking about what I could use it for. I'm not really interested in using it for visual as I have an 8" dob, so I'm leaning towards having it refigured and ground down to f/5 or so for astrophotography use. I've currently got an ED80 on my LXD75, and having a short newt might be useful for planetary and planetary nebulae. My concern, and the reason I am making this post, is that I have read some threads here about issues with stress in these cheap mirrors, and I'm wondering if people think its worth it to put some money into refiguring and buying a secondary for it. I have access to lots of spare 80/20 and a 3D printer, so it won't cost me much to build an OTA for it. Do you think its worth utilizing? Would I be better off just selling it, if its even worth selling either?

Edited by Keudn, 06 March 2021 - 10:53 AM.

#2 DAG792

DAG792

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 March 2021 - 11:13 AM

It would be a lot of work to refigure the F/8 mirror to an F/5. I reckon you could buy two GSO F/5 mirrors for the same price. You could sell it but personally, if I had it... and if I had the time, I'd buy another 6 inch F/8 GSO mirror and make a binoscope. It is a lot of work though, and while the binoscope may not show as much as your 8 inch dob, it would be a really nice visual experience.

However, enough fantasizing, I really think its not a good idea to refigure an already fine optical surface. If you need an F/5 mirror, you're better off selling this one and buying a new GSO F/5 mirror. 

• Bob4BVM, Augustus and Matthew Paul like this

#3 starcanoe

starcanoe

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Gulf Coast, Panhandle of Florida

Posted 06 March 2021 - 11:54 AM

Easy project. Make a 6 inch dob...BUT just slap a 2 INCH diagonal secondary mirror (maybe even a bit bigger) in there.. Use that set up with a 2 inch long focal length eyepiece like one of the more modestly priced 50mm ish plossls or 40mm ish wider field eyepieces.

The poor man's NP101 bigger cousin.

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:12 PM

At that point it's no more than just a cheap, questionable piece of glass. If you want a custom 6" F/5, the shop would want to provide a reliable substrate, rather than start whittling on something of meh pedigree. Taking a mirror from F/8 to F/5 is not refiguring --- it's starting from scratch.    Tom

• Bob4BVM and jelloptic like this

#5 starcanoe

starcanoe

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:48 PM

. Taking a mirror from F/8 to F/5 is not refiguring --- it's starting from scratch.    Tom

Naw...you just got polish longer and harder than usual...

#6 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 06 March 2021 - 02:58 PM

Naw...you just got polish longer and harder than usual...

But the sun might only last another four billion years.    Tom

• MKV, jelloptic and DAG792 like this

#7 starcanoe

starcanoe

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:01 PM

Dang Tom...I was hoping you'd take the bait and do the calculations....

#8 davidc135

davidc135

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:44 PM

If, as is likely, it's a sphere, I'd see if I could go the extra step and figure it to a smooth paraboloid with a 1'' diagonal. Or make it available for someone else to turn it from good to excellent. If the coating was stripped it could easily be checked for strain.  David

• MKV likes this

#9 MKV

MKV

Cosmos

• Loc: Southeast, USA

Posted 06 March 2021 - 04:25 PM

My advice is -- keep the f/8. The 6-inch f/8 is my favorite all around telescope.

• TOMDEY and LU1AR like this

#10 Steve Dodds

Steve Dodds

Viking 1

• Loc: Utah

Posted 06 March 2021 - 04:55 PM

The cheapest route is to sell the f/8 and buy the f/5 you want.

• sopticals and Augustus like this

#11 LU1AR

LU1AR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 March 2021 - 04:09 PM

My advice is -- keep the f/8. The 6-inch f/8 is my favorite all around telescope.

I own a TAL 6" F/8 and enjoy it, from a quarter of century now.
With a mask, become a beautifull planetary device.
Is tolerant to my microscope eyepiece adaptations.
Regards.
Edgardo

• MKV likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATM, Astrophotography, Beginner, Mirror Making

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics