•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

8SE Stable and accurate on wedge? - Best cheap stable mount for 8SE

Mount SCT Planet Equipment EQ Celestron Astrophotography Accessories Planetarium Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FinTGM

FinTGM

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 March 2021 - 04:41 PM

So I was wondering would an Alt-Az Celestron NexStar 8SE have precise tracking and stability when used on a wedge? My main purpose is to capture planets such as Mars. If I used a stable German EQ mount, would I get better results on the German EQ mount than the Fork Armed 8SE on a wedge If I captured long exposure images of Mars? 

Also I was wondering. What would be the best stable accurate German EQ tracking mount for an 8SE? One that is £500 or under that is to be exact.

Thanks.

#2 Al_N

Al_N

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Courtenay, Vancouver Island

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:37 PM

I use a 6SE on a wedge. Have made guided exposures of up to 300". Guiding RMS error is ~1.2". I guide in RA only, due to excessive backlash in DEC. Doable with a good polar alignment using Sharpcap.

Why would you take a long exposure image of Mars? Usually that's a video capture target?

Edit to add:  Any GEM with an appropriate weight rating would be a better choice.

CS

Al

Edited by Al_N, 06 March 2021 - 05:39 PM.

#3 Taosmath

Taosmath

Apollo

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:38 PM

I found my C8 stable on my CG5.  They can be bought used for about $400. Don't know about the prices in the  UK - I suspect a used AVX would be easier to find.

#4 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:39 PM

Hi well you would need a wedge of some discription anyway to do any form of ap,imaging as you mentioned to follow the earths axis once polar aligned,also sct cassagrains are not very beginner friendly and do intale more important set up requirements,you won,t be able to achieve long exposure times as much as an German Equatorial mount as thay are designed for that purpose in improved tracking accuracy once polar aligned

i think with your initial budget of £500 personally I don,t think it would be adequate enough for requirements DSLR photography shouldn’t be an issue with your current C8 for imaging is a different ball game altogether as the time you consider the scope itself,guidscope,imaging camera + any other additional accessories you may require the weight is starting to build up a bit and if you are considering imaging the payload of your scope plus accessories should roughly be half of the mounts full load capacity.

#5 Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson

Viking 1

• Loc: Stockholm, NJ

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:50 PM

http://Alt/Az on a Wedge, works great!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount, SCT, Planet, Equipment, EQ, Celestron, Astrophotography, Accessories, Planetarium, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics