•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Experiment: Pleiades with Evostar 72ED & Barlow 2x

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NucleusPhoto

NucleusPhoto

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ostend, Belgium

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:22 PM

Okay.. So last night I went out and did a bit of an experiment. I tried shooting the pleiades up close: With my 420mm Evostar 72ED and a 2x barlow lens, on the Star Adventurer, unguided. This is a stack of 350+ lights, 20s, ISO 3200 (yes in retrospect ISO3200 was pushing it I suppose. As I said, it was an experiment), calibrated with 60 Flats, 50 Darks and 40 Bias frames. Stacked in APP and stretched/edited with my limited abilities in Photoshop.

Here's what I could pull out of it. It's definately not great: It's pretty noisy, the stars in the bottom left corner are elongated.. but to be honest I'm fairly happy with what I got! I didn't think this would be possible, and I think this does indeed prove I got the wobble out of my rig and my PA on point (though maybe 20 seconds is to short to conclude that, even at 840mm) 

Attached Thumbnails

• M45_Pleiades-20210305.jpg

Edited by NucleusPhoto, 06 March 2021 - 05:23 PM.

• eros312 likes this

#2 deansjc

deansjc

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 March 2021 - 10:44 PM

Same scope as OP, but at 420mm using a stock Nikon D5300.  ISO 200, 40 minutes, Bortle Class 2, no calibration frames.  Approximately 40 minutes total exposure.  This was considerable cropped.  My intention was to include Mars on 03/05.  While it did fit in the frame, it just presented poorly.  This shot suffered from a poor PA and less than crisp focus.  It was -15C with a bitter wind, making it very challenging.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

#3 NucleusPhoto

NucleusPhoto

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ostend, Belgium

Posted 07 March 2021 - 04:47 PM

Hey, good shot as well! I only cropped out the edges, but yea.. trying this with a barlow lens wasn't the best idea ever.. Still an interesting experiment & good practice. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics