•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

WiFi question (basic)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 James Benton

James Benton

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 97850

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:28 PM

I have an 8se with Starsense. It would be great to add WiFi, and I’m wondering if the Celestron dongle is the only one that will work, or if there are other options, less expensive brands etc. I know this is a rookie question, but better than guessing.

#2 Maineiac78

Maineiac78

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Kittery Maine

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:33 PM

I think skyportal wifi from Celestron is 120 bucks. I looked into getting Skyfi as an alternative due to being useable on multiple brands of scopes.. however it is 200ish dollars. Supposedly the celestron skyportal wifi has had improvements in signal strength in past few editions.

#3 robbieg147

robbieg147

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:57 PM

The problem with WiFi is if it drops out you have to start all over and realign again etc. WiFi will give you nothing but frustration unless you live in a WiFi clutter free area. The exception is if you have a mini PC at the scope with a WiFi link to your main computer indoors, if the WiFi drops it won't affect the scope as it is still being controlled by the mini PC.

I gave up using WiFi a while ago and use a USB ethernet hub which has so far never caused me a problem.

In answer to your question there are other options like StarFi though I have only ever used Celestron's WiFi dongle.

I think StarFi is around $50 ?

Edited by robbieg147, 06 March 2021 - 05:58 PM.

#4 3snows

3snows

Ranger 4

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:58 PM

I have an older 8SE (non USB handset) and went with this device https://www.usconver...df9cc7d2fbfe398

It is cheaper but mostly I went this direction since at the time the Celestron wifi unit was getting awful reviews. This device works well and I still use it.

#5 mlord

mlord

Apollo

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:10 PM

If using Skyportal app, and if the firmware in the Celestron dongle has been updated by the end user, then it is normally usable.  If it "drops out", one simply then presses "connect" again in the app and then continue from where things left off.

With older firmware in the dongle, as shipped from the factory, one does indeed have to "start all over" from scratch.

For anyone technically capable, there are also the HomeBrew WiFi+BT adapters, which can be constructed for under $30.

#6 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:13 PM

Well if you plan in using just the nextstar 8se go with the skyportal at around $130 then the app is free to download via your phone or iPad etc.and in some ways it’s more advanced compared to other devices as you can align your scope from the app itself.with celestrons any bright 3 star alignment procedure.i own the skyfi WiFi module which partners with skysafari and depending on which version you use costs over double the cost,also the scope has to be aligned via your hand set firstly before you can use skysafari.however when the price comes into its own a bit more is that skyfi can be used with many different scope mounts on the market when skyportal cannot.

#7 Maineiac78

Maineiac78

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Kittery Maine

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:14 PM

So many options!

#8 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:33 PM

So many options!

Well theoretically speaking there are only few options,the problem is if you went with skyportal then decide to sell Scope that then becomes redundant unless you puchase another celestron scope.however admittedly yes the skyfi to skysafari is more of an additional outlay in cash however more versatility there to use with many scope brands.

#9 James Benton

James Benton

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 97850

Posted 07 March 2021 - 05:27 PM

Thanks everybody. This helps.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics