•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another Mars and Pleiades

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tlindema

tlindema

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:54 PM

Perhaps a bit overdone the past week, but oh well, it's the first image I'm happy with.

200mm f/3.5 Asahi Super Takumar lens (stopped down to 5.6)

Stock Canon Rebel T2i

Optolong L-Pro light pollution filter

iOptron Skyguider Pro (unguided)

2.5min subs (60 lights, 20 flats, and 20 darks stacked in Sequator)

Mars moved enough during imaging to turn it into a blown-out caterpillar, so I blended ~15 min of Mars in with the rest of the image. I used photoshop for the standard curve stretches, levels adjustment, denoise, etc. I've ordered some filter rings to help diminish diffraction spikes for future imaging, but tbh I like the look of them in this image.

I'm still learning, so I welcome any tips on how to improve my imaging or post-processing.

Pleaides and Mars 03-04-21.jpg

• eros312, nighthoek, Hypoxic and 9 others like this

#2 Avgvstvs

Avgvstvs

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:22 PM

Looking good.

Nice to see some Takumar Lenses being used, I use a few

I actually like diffraction spikes around the bright stars

• tlindema likes this

#3 Alen K

Alen K

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 March 2021 - 11:41 PM

Nice to see an example of this target using a lens close to what I have been using myself these past few nights, specifically an SMC Pentax-M 200mm f/4. I stepped it down to f/5.4 or thereabouts using a 52mm to 37mm step-down ring. On some targets I like the look of diffraction spikes, but not on the Pleiades. 

How much reduction in the sky background do you estimate the L-Pro filter is giving you? And what level of light pollution are you starting with? And does your town or city use mostly LED streetlights or something older? 

In lieu of an LP filter, I have just been capturing a lot of light frames. Over the last three nights I have now collected about 4.5 hours worth. I'm in a Bortle 6 area, so I'm not sure 4.5 hours is enough to show as much of the nebulosity in and around the Pleiades as I would like. With respect to Mars, I will just select a position from one of the nights (probably from the 4th) and erase it everywhere else as you have done. Thankfully, that's a lot easier than dealing with the relative motion of a comet! I still haven't figured out the best way to do that. 

• tlindema likes this

#4 jerobe

jerobe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:02 PM

Good work, good image.

• tlindema likes this

#5 tlindema

tlindema

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:41 PM

Nice to see an example of this target using a lens close to what I have been using myself these past few nights, specifically an SMC Pentax-M 200mm f/4. I stepped it down to f/5.4 or thereabouts using a 52mm to 37mm step-down ring. On some targets I like the look of diffraction spikes, but not on the Pleiades. 

How much reduction in the sky background do you estimate the L-Pro filter is giving you? And what level of light pollution are you starting with? And does your town or city use mostly LED streetlights or something older? 

In lieu of an LP filter, I have just been capturing a lot of light frames. Over the last three nights I have now collected about 4.5 hours worth. I'm in a Bortle 6 area, so I'm not sure 4.5 hours is enough to show as much of the nebulosity in and around the Pleiades as I would like. With respect to Mars, I will just select a position from one of the nights (probably from the 4th) and erase it everywhere else as you have done. Thankfully, that's a lot easier than dealing with the relative motion of a comet! I still haven't figured out the best way to do that. 

Unfortunately I don't have any estimate of the improvement I'm getting with the L-Pro from this location. It's probably Bortles 5-6, and the streetlights are mostly sodium vapor lamps. Last night I was able to resolve the Horsehead with ~2 hours of imaging at ISO 1600 (I shot the pleiades at 800), so the light pollution doesn't seem too bad.

Edited by tlindema, 07 March 2021 - 09:41 PM.

#6 Geokolb1

Geokolb1

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Posted 14 March 2021 - 08:10 PM

Very nice

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics