•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stacking pleiades and mars - 91x2min

Planet Astrophotography DSO
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jarosatori

jarosatori

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:57 PM

Hi, I cannot find a way how to stack 91x2min exposure of Mars and pleiades. I have shot the conjunction but I cannot find the way how to do it so the Mars will be as a single point. I tried to do it in pixinsight. The results are very odd as the moving mars causing real problems to my final image... laugh.gif I would be grateful if somebody is able to advise me or send me some manual how to do it smile.gif Many thanks

Edited by jarosatori, 06 March 2021 - 06:11 PM.

#2 tlindema

tlindema

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:15 PM

I don't think any stacking software will keep Mars at a single point, since it is actually moving with respect to the stars. I encountered the same issue over a 2.5 hour imaging session. My solution was to stack less exposures (~15 min) for Mars, and blend it into the longer exposed image in Photoshop.

Edited by tlindema, 06 March 2021 - 06:16 PM.

#3 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:21 PM

Stack it normally and with Mars as a comet, and then merge the images in photoshop.

Edited by happylimpet, 06 March 2021 - 06:22 PM.

• B 26354 and Anhydrite like this

#4 jarosatori

jarosatori

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 March 2021 - 04:35 AM

Thank you. I tried it as a comet. It still does not work, but I hope I will somehow solve it today. Pixinsight has quite a problem to get rid of the Mars when it is trying to do it with 91 frames. Should I maybe try less images? It seems thart result is better when I use very low value in Image integration -> Pixel rejection( 2) -> sigma high (I set it below 1) when trying to stack Mars as a comet after comet alignment - but there are still some artifacts which stayed after bright stars and nebulae in the Pleiades, but it is manageable I think. What is worse is that I do not have good results from stacked picture of stars without the mars. I have there and an artifacts around the stars and I have there an odd red shape instead of Mars... Any ideas how to set values in image integration properly  when stacking Image which was substracted from the frame of a comet (comet alignment -> substraction and as a file I use stacked Mars without stars)? Or any other tip what I do badly in process? :)

Edited by jarosatori, 07 March 2021 - 04:43 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Planet, Astrophotography, DSO

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics