•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A good representation of how Bortle 1 really looks like in person

Observing Report LP
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ghost332

Ghost332

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 March 2021 - 05:07 PM

Hi all,

I grew up in a small Town where we had bortle 4 skies. This is where I received my first refractor (60mm) when I was 14. It was truly a joy to use in the garden.

As I got older,  we moved to a bigger city, thats where I realized just how badly LP affects our skies. I have Experienced bortle 5-6 and even 8-9.

In 2018 my Partner and I decided to go on a 6 month trip around the world. Having visited Australia during this trip, our friends lived in a tiny village, away from any city light. On the light pollution map its being showed as SQM 21.99, so we can safely say its a Bortle 1. Here, I thought our small bortle 4 city sky was good. Oh boy, how wrong I was.

Even my partner ( she isn't particularly interested in Astronomy ) was shocked just how the sky looked. The milky was was soo white and bright and WIDE. I really wish I had any kind of telescope with me, but even what we could see with our naked eye was astonishing.

So later on, I tried to looked for an actual image that represent the image of that sky, but didnt find anything online that could give the same vibe.

Anyway, I was playing with the settings in Stellarium, so if anybody is interested in a close representation of how Bortle 1 actually looks in person, this image is very close to what we have seen in Australia.

Bortle 1 v2jp.jpg

Edited by Ghost332, 07 March 2021 - 05:21 PM.

#2 blackhaz

blackhaz

Vanguard

• Loc: London, England

Posted 07 March 2021 - 05:11 PM

baby-crying-loudly-with-runny-nose-meme-

From London's Bortle 9.

#3 Ghost332

Ghost332

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 March 2021 - 05:28 PM

And this is the other side

Orion b1.jpg

#4 Ghost332

Ghost332

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 March 2021 - 05:29 PM

Any idea how can I attach these images in their original quality? The images I attached got cropped quite significantly.

#5 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:26 PM

baby-crying-loudly-with-runny-nose-meme-

From London's Bortle 9.

Why its the man in the moon, lol !

#6 starcanoe

starcanoe

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Gulf Coast, Panhandle of Florida

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:12 PM

That was me when I realized that didn't I win that lottery for taking a ride to the ISS on a space X rocket with one billionaire and two others.

Seriously..I donated some money..then filled out the no donation required but you get an entry form another 95 times. Took the better part of a day.

Oh well....plan B is writing that Japanese Billionaire and trying to bum a ride when he and perhaps 8 others take a trip around the moon in 2023.

Edited by starcanoe, 08 March 2021 - 01:16 PM.

#7 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:38 PM

Folks, this thread has gone completely off topic. lock.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Observing Report, LP

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics