•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion ed80 ed glass type?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zandrew

Zandrew

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Williamsburg WV

Posted 07 March 2021 - 06:13 PM

I purchased one of these from a member and it appears to be an older model. What I am wondering is if it still has the same glass as the newer models which is supposed to be flp53. I have AT72ed with fpl51 and I am going to be letting one of these go. Just trying to make my mind up. 

It is 9895 model.

I will be using for viewing and imaging. Thanks for any help offered. 

#2 John Huntley

John Huntley

Gemini

• ***--
  • Loc: SW England

Posted 07 March 2021 - 06:48 PM

My understanding is that they used an FPL-53 element from the start with these.

I've owned old ones (Skywatcher and Orion branded) and compared the optical performance with a much more recent one and I could not see any difference.

Edited by John Huntley, 07 March 2021 - 06:51 PM.

#3 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 07 March 2021 - 06:58 PM

All are fpl53.  The Orion 80ED, from almost 20 years ago, was the beginning of the inexpensive 'APO' revolution in amateur Astronomy.   Thank goodness, they haven't changed the optics one bit!

• Jon Isaacs, Scott in NC and John Huntley like this

#4 Zandrew

Zandrew

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Williamsburg WV

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:01 PM

Good deal, thank you. I am honestly not in tune with the major yet subtle differences between scopes. CA jumps out too me but that's about it so far and to my eyes the ed80 has virtually none. 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics