•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Boogeyman...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:59 PM

Sometimes I wonder how objects get their unofficial names.  LDN1622, also called the Boogeyman nebula, is a dark nebula surrounded by glowing hydrogen gas.  There are also two van den Bergh objects in this image.  vdB62 is the bright feature lower right from center at the head of LDN1622, and vdB63 is the faint yellow patch to the left of center that looks like a diffuse star.

I've been wanting to image LDN1622 for a long time, but I also have a goal of capturing the van den Bergh catalog so this was a nice project for me.  Imaged last November and December, about 19hrs total exposure.

LDN1622_1.png

• lukasik, Joe G, jeffweiss9 and 15 others like this

#2 fallenstarseven

fallenstarseven

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Mateo, CA, USA

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:40 PM

Wow that's beautiful!

• buckeyestargazer likes this

#3 lucam

lucam

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY, USA

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:36 AM

Always a great target. Nicely done, Joel! What's your image acquisition strategy with the dual scope setup? Luminance on the larger aperture system and color on the smaller one?

• buckeyestargazer likes this

#4 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:51 AM

Always a great target. Nicely done, Joel! What's your image acquisition strategy with the dual scope setup? Luminance on the larger aperture system and color on the smaller one?

Yes, the CFF135/ASI6200MM (0.86"/px) captures the LUM data while the CFF105/ASI2600MC (1.23"/px) captures OSC color data.  This has worked quite well.  For a brief time I considered changing the 2600MC to the new 2600MM, but I really don't see that there would be much improvement and it would just cost more.  I even take Ha data with the 2600MC with an 8nm Ha filter and that works surprisingly well also.  

• lucam likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics