•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

what could be wrong w my laptop: no connection to Ioptron mount

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 08 March 2021 - 12:37 AM

I can't be sure but I think the problem was when I updated ASCOM to 6.5, no matter what, Ioptron will not connect to my Surface laptop. This is the laptop I designated to image with because it has low power requirements in the field and w one charge will last for hours, but when I added an ASI294 MM pro to the equation, I then updated to ascom 6.5 . i have tried everything but I just cannot get the mount to communicate with the computer. I have two other laptops which are both Windows 10, and on all laptops I have made sure to have the latest windows 10 updates. the device manager shows com 3 as active. you see the red Commander dialogue box, it should show ports to choose from. In fact, port 3 should appear in the dropdown where it says autodetection.  

Could I be missing a driver somewhere? I have compared all the drivers from the two other laptops and I am not seeing any missing drivers.  I am at the point where I am thinking to uninstall everything on this laptop even the OS and start up again, though I am not sure how to uninstall windows 10.

Any insight would be appreciated, particularly if it lends to a solution!

Attached Thumbnails

• no connection.png
  • devicemgr.jpg
  • apps.png

Edited by Ballyhoo, 08 March 2021 - 12:42 AM.

#2 Dwight J

Dwight J

Soyuz

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 08 March 2021 - 12:50 AM

I had a similar problem with an ASCOM mount driver in Win10 when connecting in PhD2.  The port was wrong so I disconnected the mount cable, closed PhD2, put the mount cable back into the same port and reopened Phd2.  Bingo with the port and mount being recognized.  Why, only windows knows but usb is always an adventure.  I fondly recall usb fun with Win XP.

#3 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:03 AM

I had a similar problem with an ASCOM mount driver in Win10 when connecting in PhD2.  The port was wrong so I disconnected the mount cable, closed PhD2, put the mount cable back into the same port and reopened Phd2.  Bingo with the port and mount being recognized.  Why, only windows knows but usb is always an adventure.  I fondly recall usb fun with Win XP.

I wished this case was so simple.

#4 daveco2

daveco2

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Torrance, CA

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:38 AM

Make sure you have the FTDI USB driver installed. I just set my CEM40 up on a second computer and had to perform that last step. It would also help to make sure nothing else is connected when connecting the mount to make all com ports available.  All this is detailed in the Ioptron installation PDF, which I reread when I had problems.

• psandelle, Whichwayisnorth and Gehring9006 like this

#5 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:42 AM

Make sure you have the FTDI USB driver installed. I just set my CEM40 up on a second computer and had to perform that last step. It would also help to make sure nothing else is connected when connecting the mount to make all com ports available.  All this is detailed in the Ioptron installation PDF, which I reread when I had problems.

The FTDI usb is in the handset right?  Keep in mind when reading this that everything works on the two other laptops. It is not a handset issue or a mount issue per say. It most likely is something in the PC.

#6 CoHPhasor

CoHPhasor

Messenger

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 08 March 2021 - 03:01 AM

I would uninstall ascom 6.5, reboot, reinstall ascom 6.5.

If that doesnt work, do it again and install the previous version instead and see if communication returns.

Just trying to quadrant the problem a little

Edited by CoHPhasor, 08 March 2021 - 02:34 PM.

#7 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 08 March 2021 - 10:25 AM

The last thing that I would do is to uninstall and reinstall ASCOM 6.5. If you are going to uninstall ASCOM 6.5, at least drop back to 6.4 and see if that works. The only way that a reinstall is going to work is the case where you installed the original with privileges (As Admin) and reinstalled it correctly without privileges. When you make this mistake, Win10 will not let you connect a non-privileged app to a privileged app without some work. 

I think that you have two different iOptron drivers installed. Get rid of the one that you don't use and just use Commander. I think that's what's wrong - you are connecting somehow or the COM3 port is getting grabbed by the old driver. I remember having exactly this problem when I bought my CEM120 - the old driver needed to be "gone" for the system to work. (Now that was three years ago and my memory, like yours, is not eidetic these days.) Since you have the iEQ45, I might have this reversed and you need the "old" driver but I'm pretty sure that all iOptron mounts work now with commander even the older ones. 

There's another iOptron problem floating around these days. The Commander release 6.4 does not work with the CEM70 and CEM120 mounts (verified by iOptron technical support) and so if you are using that version it might also affect the iEQ45. If that's the case, revert one level back and see if that fixes it. 

FWIW, if the Moonlite focuser works then you have the FTDI drivers but they really are not needed for the more current iOptron mounts. Also,  no matter what you do, reboot the computer over and over again as you change things. Rebooting Win10 computers that have connection issues seems to clear up a ton of change related problems, in my experience. 

Rgrds-Ross

• psandelle likes this

#8 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:36 AM

The last thing that I would do is to uninstall and reinstall ASCOM 6.5. If you are going to uninstall ASCOM 6.5, at least drop back to 6.4 and see if that works. The only way that a reinstall is going to work is the case where you installed the original with privileges (As Admin) and reinstalled it correctly without privileges. When you make this mistake, Win10 will not let you connect a non-privileged app to a privileged app without some work. 

I think that you have two different iOptron drivers installed. Get rid of the one that you don't use and just use Commander. I think that's what's wrong - you are connecting somehow or the COM3 port is getting grabbed by the old driver. I remember having exactly this problem when I bought my CEM120 - the old driver 

Rgrds-Ross

I am now only using one commander driver but it had no effect. 

#9 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 08 March 2021 - 12:57 PM

Which one are you using?

Rgrds-Ross

#10 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:04 PM

Which one are you using?

Rgrds-Ross

#11 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:05 PM

Since everytihng works fine on the other two power hunrgy laptops I am considering a complete uninstall of the Windows 10 OS and reinstalling from square one. I remember in the older days laptops came with boot disks though. My Surface laptop does not have that.

#12 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:14 PM

All I know is, that particular laptop stopped connecting to the moonlight focuser and the Ioptron after I installed the latest ZWO driver and the latest ASCOM, and now, no amount of reverting to any particular heretofore ascom or zwo version will allow a connection to either and to check my sanity I continually check the connections with the other two laptops -- but they are really too power hungry to use in the field, unless I buy a larger lithium power pack. 

Does anyone know how to uninstall and reinstall Windows 10? 

#13 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:16 PM

Did you manually assign COM port number to port 3 (or any other available COM port) in ASCOM configuration setup for your mount? Auto detection may not always work. 

Bottom line, it's not, cannot and should not be ASCOM driver as a culprit. It's possible that your mount ASCOM driver does not support ASCOM 6.5SP1. 

Uninstalling Windows will very likely NOT help.

• psandelle likes this

#14 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:19 PM

All I know is, that particular laptop stopped connecting to the moonlight focuser and the Ioptron after I installed the latest ZWO driver and the latest ASCOM, and now, no amount of reverting to any particular heretofore ascom or zwo version will allow a connection to either and to check my sanity I continually check the connections with the other two laptops -- but they are really too power hungry to use in the field, unless I buy a larger lithium power pack. 

Does anyone know how to uninstall and reinstall Windows 10? 

OK.

Uninstall all native and ASCOM related device drivers including platform, mount, camera, etc. Install 6.5SP1 first and then install device drivers. Test device first before installing next device driver.

Edited by Peter in Reno, 08 March 2021 - 01:27 PM.

• psandelle likes this

#15 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:39 PM

I proceeded as recommended:  I uninstalled all ascom drivers and Ioptron plus moonlight drivers, restarting the laptop at every step.

Then I installed ASCOM 6.5. Restarted. Installed the Ioptron Commander driver. Restarted. Tested. installed the ioptron ascom driver, restarted, tested. No connection. Uninstalled everything again. Installed ASCOM 6.5. restarted installed Moonlight driver. Tested focuser. No connection.  It is something about the laptop as far as I can tell. 

#16 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:41 PM

I get that Peter is thinking that there is a device conflict somewhere but I continue to think that it's simply an iOptron driver issue and perhaps the driver for that mount has issues with ASCOM 6.5. Please revert to ASCOM 6.4.1 - see below----

https://www.ioptron....cles.asp?ID=295 should be carefully read. I think it means is that you need to uninstall Commander and then the correct driver for your mount and then it should work. 

Rgrds-Ross

#17 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:49 PM

I get that Peter is thinking that there is a device conflict somewhere but I continue to think that it's simply an iOptron driver issue and perhaps the driver for that mount has issues with ASCOM 6.5. Please revert to ASCOM 6.4.1 - see below----

https://www.ioptron....cles.asp?ID=295 should be carefully read. I think it means is that you need to uninstall Commander and then the correct driver for your mount and then it should work. 

Rgrds-Ross

I have revereted and that did not help and that would not explain to me why also Moonlight focuser will not connect. 

#18 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:58 PM

It's possible the USB-to-Serial drivers got lost. I don't know anything about iOptron mount but it's possible you may have to install USB-to-Serial driver for that mount.

Also, I went to Moonlite web site for drivers and it has instructions for installing FTDI USB-to-Serial driver for the focuser. http://focuser.com/downloads.php

• psandelle likes this

#19 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 08 March 2021 - 03:40 PM

Oh yes! If the moonlite won't connect then you are for sure missing the chipset driver for it. I still think that a careful perusal of the iOptron link may fix this but that particular mount may well be one that requires a driver unlike the newer mounts just to connect. 

Rgrds-Ross

• psandelle likes this

#20 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 03:51 PM

In your OP, with Device Manager opened, click on "View" and then click on "Show hidden devices". This will show ALL devices installed whether they are connected or not. If you see two or more COM port numbers installed, make sure all COM port numbers are disconnected from your Surface laptop, right click on each COM port number and click on "Uninstall Device" and make sure you don't see COM port numbers anymore.

After uninstalling all COM port devices and while looking at Device Manager screen, plug in your mount to Surface laptop and see if a new COM port number pops up. If it does, then manually enter that COM port number in your ASCOM mount driver setup. If you don't see new COM port number pop up, then the COM port driver for the mount is not installed.

Next plug in Moonlite focuser to Surface laptop and if you don't see another COM port number pop up, then you will need to install FTDI driver from http://focuser.com/downloads.php (scroll down halfway) or https://ftdichip.com...rs/vcp-drivers/

If you are not comfortable removing COM port devices, please give us a screenshot of your Device Manager and make sure "Show hidden devices" is selected. Expand "Ports (COM & LPT)".

Edited by Peter in Reno, 08 March 2021 - 04:01 PM.

• psandelle likes this

#21 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 04:09 PM

Rgrds-Ross

Click on the link above Ross provided. At the bottom of web site, click on "ASCOM 5.7 Update Notes" and inside the history note, it says:

"2020-07-30

New features:
Supports ASCOM Platform 6.5.

Improvements:
Update Named Deep Sky Objects, which matched with latest 8407 hand controller.
Now checks if .NET Framework 4.8 has been installed.
IsPulseGuiding now have better compatibility.
Installer will deploy FTDI USB to RS232 driver automatically.

Bug fixes:
Discard Changes sometimes might not work.

Passed test of ASCOM Conform 6.5.0.3091."

You probably need to install the latest iOptron mount driver to support ASCOM 6.5.

Also check if your .NET Framework revision is 4.8 or later.

Edited by Peter in Reno, 08 March 2021 - 04:10 PM.

• psandelle and Ballyhoo like this

#22 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 04:37 PM

In your Device Manager screenshot, did you notice yellow triangle exclamation point for COM 3? That's likely the source of the problem and likely both your mount and Moonlite share the same COM port numbers. Uninstall all visible COM port numbers I described earlier. 

Edited by Peter in Reno, 08 March 2021 - 04:43 PM.

• psandelle likes this

#23 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:26 PM

I uninstalled all of the usb devices, restarted my machine . uninstalled the ascom drivers an reinstalled the drivers. no improvement. this is what the device manager looks like now,

Attached Thumbnails

• dm.png

Edited by Ballyhoo, 08 March 2021 - 05:27 PM.

#24 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:36 PM

You probably need to install the latest iOptron mount driver to support ASCOM 6.5.

Also check if your .NET Framework revision is 4.8 or later.

yeah  I really believe  I have the latest Ioptron driver. regarding the .net framework, I know much less about. 

thank you!

#25 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:41 PM

I uninstalled all of the usb devices, restarted my machine . uninstalled the ascom drivers an reinstalled the drivers. no improvement. this is what the device manager looks like now,

Not USB, look at COM ports. Set "View" to "Show hidden devices" so you can see all COM ports. I don't care about USB devices.

Edited by Peter in Reno, 08 March 2021 - 05:42 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics