•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

what could be wrong w my laptop: no connection to Ioptron mount

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:41 PM

how does one search their .net framework? I looked on the apps but I do not see it and I did a search in the computer.

#27 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:44 PM

Not sure but Google is your friend. 

#28 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:45 PM

shouldn't the ports be listed in the red circle area?

Attached Thumbnails

• dm.png

#29 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:47 PM

Did you set View to Show hidden devices of Device Manager. See top of screen.

#30 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:49 PM

I wonder if this is the problem. You did mention hidden devices, didnt you?

from the internet:

If Ports (COM& LPT) is not showing in the Device Manager, it's possible that they are hidden or they are disabled in the BIOS (basic input/output system). To help you resolve this issue, we recommend that you follow the steps provided by MK9866 on this thread which have helped a lot of users who previously experienced the same issue.

#31 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:52 PM

That's why I told you what I just said. This is not a problem. It allows to show you all installed devices. Hidden means devices not connected but if you see the COM ports with Show hidden devices set it means the device is installed. 

#32 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:55 PM

If you uninstalled COM port numbers AND device drivers, then you have to re-connect the devices for the first time in order to see new COM port numbers created.

• psandelle likes this

#33 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:56 PM

i follow the instructions to add a legacy driver here but I do not recognize any of the named drivers.

Attached Thumbnails

• driver select.png

#34 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:59 PM

I never said to add legacy driver. Why would you do that?

This is what I meant:

Device_Manager1.jpg

Every time you open Device Manager you have to repeat what I showed you in above screenshot.

• psandelle likes this

#35 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:59 PM

If you uninstalled COM port numbers AND device drivers, then you have to re-connect the devices for the first time in order to see new COM port numbers created.

yeah well i have reconnected many times.  when I choose "show hidden" in the device manager, still no ports are appearing.

#36 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:01 PM

Do you have a friend nearby who's knowledgeable about computers? I am afraid you might do more harm than good to your computer because it does not sound like you've done this before. I don't think I can be much more of help.

Edited by Peter in Reno, 08 March 2021 - 06:02 PM.

#37 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:16 PM

but do you think we are on the right track?   the reason why I mentioned legacy is because I found the internet that is where to look to add ports.  I don't know. I suppose I could take it in to a shop.

#38 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:19 PM

but do you think we are on the right track?   the reason why I mentioned legacy is because I found the internet that is where to look to add ports.  I don't know. I suppose I could take it in to a shop.

That's incorrect. You are not on the right track.

• psandelle likes this

#39 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:22 PM

That's incorrect. You are not on the right track.

that's encouraging

#40 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:25 PM

I'm in Carlsbad and happy to help (even in person now that I've been vaccinated). I've owned three of these mounts and used them all under Win10 Pro and never had a problem. I do not own a "Surface" but I really don't think that matters. Just send me a PM if that would be useful.

With all due respect did either of you take a look at the link that I sent you? iOptron has been changing drivers for a while now to support a newer and richer command language. The new mounts' firmware uses the latest versions of commander.

It appears from what I saw on the support website that the older iEQ45 Pro needs ASCOM 6.4.1.1 and an older driver. If this has already been covered then fine and  I will post here no more. 

Rgrds-Ross

#41 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:27 PM

Well, you haven't exactly follow my procedures the way I said it and we are a thousands miles apart. From your lack of experience with this hobby and computers it's difficult to communicate like this.

A local friend of mine had almost an exact same issue and couldn't help him remotely but resolved it when I visited him a few miles away.

#42 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:29 PM

I'm in Carlsbad and happy to help (even in person now that I've been vaccinated). I've owned three of these mounts and used them all under Win10 Pro and never had a problem. I do not own a "Surface" but I really don't think that matters. Just send me a PM if that would be useful.

With all due respect did either of you take a look at the link that I sent you? iOptron has been changing drivers for a while now to support a newer and richer command language. The new mounts' firmware uses the latest versions of commander.

It appears from what I saw on the support website that the older iEQ45 Pro needs ASCOM 6.4.1.1 and an older driver. If this has already been covered then fine and  I will post here no more. 

Rgrds-Ross

I saw it and mentioned it to him as well in post #21.

Peter 

Edited by Peter in Reno, 08 March 2021 - 06:30 PM.

#43 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:42 PM

I accidentally found this 

https://forum.sequen...ont-start/14876

Sounds identical to your issues. Reported about 4 hours ago.

Edited by Peter in Reno, 08 March 2021 - 06:43 PM.

• Ballyhoo likes this

#44 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:17 PM

I accidentally found this 

https://forum.sequen...ont-start/14876

Sounds identical to your issues. Reported about 4 hours ago.

Yes at first SGP would not load up and Jared told me to uninstall and reinstall ASCOM which I did. That solved the SGP issue and it solved the issues on the other laptops.

I am still thinking  how to proceed on this. I will re-read the posts and see if I may have missed something otherwise I am still thinking about doing a clean install of Windows. I do not use the laptop for anything but imaging. 

#45 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:24 PM

Clean install of Windows will likely fix it but won't you lose valuable data?

If worst comes to worst, somebody said that Windows Surface laptop has a feature to allow you to reset your Surface laptop to factory fresh as if you bought it brand new which is probably the easiest method. Don't ask me how because I don't have Surface.

Your issue sounds pretty simple to fix but it's too difficult to do this remotely. If you get help locally and fix it, you will learn something that you may have to repeat this in the future without resetting your Surface laptop to factory fresh again and it's very time consuming.

Take Ross' offer to look at your computer and equipment. 

Peter

Edited by Peter in Reno, 08 March 2021 - 07:41 PM.

#46 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:26 AM

Clean install of Windows will likely fix it but won't you lose valuable data?

If worst comes to worst, somebody said that Windows Surface laptop has a feature to allow you to reset your Surface laptop to factory fresh as if you bought it brand new which is probably the easiest method. Don't ask me how because I don't have Surface.

Your issue sounds pretty simple to fix but it's too difficult to do this remotely. If you get help locally and fix it, you will learn something that you may have to repeat this in the future without resetting your Surface laptop to factory fresh again and it's very time consuming.

Take Ross' offer to look at your computer and equipment. 

Peter

There is no data I need on that laptop because it is just for imaging. What data I need is transferred so, hopefully the Windows reset is succesful. After it reset I will just install my ascom 6.5 and drivers and hope for the best. I am not sure about that .Netframe but I will look into that. 

#47 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:11 AM

If you get a clean install, think about creating a restore point or making a backup so if you have computer problems (even away from home) you can recover to a good configuration. That has saved me a couple of times over the years out in the field.

Rgrds-Ross

• psandelle and CoHPhasor like this

#48 CoHPhasor

CoHPhasor

Messenger

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:31 AM

The Surface reset should work, but if not, there are instructions from microsft to download windows 10 abd install it to a USB to install it.

#49 fmeschia

fmeschia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:43 AM

I’m running my iEQ45 Pro with ASCOM 6.5.0 and the iOptron driver version 5.75 as I write this. No problem with those versions.

Edited by fmeschia, 09 March 2021 - 01:44 AM.

• psandelle likes this

#50 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:21 AM

I’m running my iEQ45 Pro with ASCOM 6.5.0 and the iOptron driver version 5.75 as I write this. No problem with those versions.

Well, I had to do a complete reinstall of Windows to make this work and thankfully everything is connecting now to SGP, but only when I use Ioptron 5741.  I do not think that is the latest version but that was the only version I was able to make work so far.

Now I just have to dial in my SGP which, if I can migrate the profiles that should be easy, and making sure I download my favorite plate solver ASTAP.

It is always a bit of a challenge when you start up a new computer because now I need all my same setting from PHD2, SGP , and what else?   I do not think either software has a seamless way to transfer profiles, but there is a method to the madness somehow., somewhere.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics