•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I bought a refractor telescope but barlow and eyepieces don't fit

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nawras

Nawras

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Japan

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:23 AM

Hey there,

I'm so happy to find this forum. I'm so ambitious about seeing the stars for real.

Long story short, I bought a refractor telescope and have no knowledge on how to use it.

The written information is: carton astronomical telescope; d=60 mm, f=1000 mm. I know how to mount it and how to align the finderscope.

After reading some articles I learned that I'm missing the eyepieces and barlow. So, I just bought a set of eyepieces and barlow online. But the problem is, none of these things fit my telescope. It's like the diameter is the same somehow. Can you guide me so that I can understand what I'm missing or what should I do to make it work. I have attached the telescope and the eyepieces' picture as a reference.

Thank you for you time.

Attached Thumbnails

• received_483931026311938.jpeg
  • received_288791162591768.jpeg
  • received_489588065752653.jpeg
  • received_278080937050543.jpeg
  • received_1795430960636206.jpeg
  • received_131730412190116.jpeg
  • received_170988798171596.jpeg
  • received_444550566695658.jpeg
  • received_2816405005266045.jpeg
  • received_264695025194715.jpeg

#2 Knasal

Knasal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:28 AM

Most likely the refractor supplied eyepieces and barlow are 0.965” in diameter.

Did you buy 1.25” eyepieces and barlow? That could be it.

Kevin

• Nawras likes this

#3 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Aurora

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:31 AM

There is an adapter that might help.

Gosky 0.965 to 1.25 Inch Telescope Eyepiece Adapter - Allow You use 1.25" Eyepiece on 0.965" Telescope

• Knasal and Nawras like this

#4 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:35 AM

Hi I think I can see the the problem as by the looks of things the scope you puchased looks like it was manufactured around the mid 60,s or early part of the 70,s.the reason why your eyepieces most probably will not fit as back then the standard barrel size was 0.965”,now all eyepieces produced are 1.25”,2” and even 3” barrels.you should be able to puchase an adapter which is 0.965”male to 1.25” female this slots into the focuser of the telescope,make sure firstly that a adapter is not already supplied with the scope.

• Nawras likes this

#5 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:40 AM

Hello and welcome to CN.,

That scope came with .965" eyepieces.,Are those what you bought ?  It also looks like you are missing the diagonal.,You can  use a hybrid diagonal and it will let you use 1.25" eyepieces which are what are used in today's scopes for the most part.,Here is the original diagonal and the hybrid version  on the left.,Good luck.,

Check out the classics forum here for better advise about your classic scope.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210308_093420.jpg
  • 20210308_093622.jpg

• Nawras likes this

#6 mashirts

mashirts

Viking 1

• Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:45 AM

Oh my, what a beautiful telescope.  Don't give up on it.  Those long focus achromats are wonderful.

I don't see a diagonal anywhere in the pics.  Straight viewing, looking directly at objects versus looking down with use of a 90 degree diagonal makes viewing so much easier.

• Nawras likes this

#7 siriusandthepup

siriusandthepup

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:58 AM

Carton is a darn fine telescope maker. Have a couple of those my self.

You will be happy with it once you get the eyepieces connected. That 0.965 vs 1.25" thing sometimes causes confusion for new telescopers. Both sizes are good. You also can be on the lookout here on Cloudy Nights for more eyepieces/accessories.

And - you are going to need a proper mount for it to fully enjoy it.

Welcome! waytogo.gif

• Nawras likes this

#8 dmgriff

dmgriff

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 30 degrees latitude, USA

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:56 PM

Hey there,

I'm so happy to find this forum. I'm so ambitious about seeing the stars for real.

Long story short, I bought a refractor telescope and have no knowledge on how to use it.

The written information is: carton astronomical telescope; d=60 mm, f=1000 mm. I know how to mount it and how to align the finderscope.

From the photos you have two 3 element Kellner eyepieces, RK 20mm (50x) and K 9mm (111x), which are good magnifications for your scope. 111x is about the max you will get out of the 60mm/1000mm refractor. Skip the 4 mm eyepiece, 3x barlow (useless) and 1.5x erecting eyepiece imo.

No diagonal is shown. Something similar to this GSO 0.965"/1.25" 90-deg Hybrid Mirror Star Diagonal will let you use 1.25in eyepieces in your scope. It is a .965 diagonal with a built in 1.25in eyepiece adapter. GSO is based in Taiwan and sell world wide under various brandings. The cheaper your diagonal, the less quality glass flat and alignment, is a general rule of thumb.

https://agenaastro.c...r-diagonal.html

Good viewing,

Dave

Edited by dmgriff, 08 March 2021 - 07:00 PM.

• Nawras likes this

#9 ares53405

ares53405

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Racine County, WI

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:15 PM

Since you have already purchased a set of 1.25" eyepieces, getting a hybrid star diagonal as suggested by dmgriff would be the logical thing to do.  You may get some light cut off but it should work.  If you want to stay with the scopes native .965" format, here is a source for some new .965" Plossl's.   https://optcorp.com/... Plossl 0.965"

It says that 4 of the 5 available eyepieces are in stock too. waytogo.gif

Mark

• dmgriff and Nawras like this

#10 ares53405

ares53405

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Racine County, WI

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:30 PM

I should add that all 5 of the Antares Plossl eyepieces I suggested produce magnifications that are within the useful range of your scope.  This is how you figure magnification…telescope focal length divided by the

eyepiece focal length = magnification.  With your scope just divide 1000 by the focal length of any given eyepiece.
Good luck and have fun.
Mark

• Nawras likes this

#11 rodney j johnson jr

rodney j johnson jr

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: kilgore, texas

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:35 PM

But the problem is, none of these things fit my telescope. It's like the diameter is the same somehow. Can you guide me so that I can understand what I'm missing or what should I do to make it work.

my brother-in-law had the same issue. i bought him an adapter to fit the slightly larger eyepieces i had bought him. at the time i didn't know there was a difference.

he is happy now.

• Nawras likes this

#12 Nawras

Nawras

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:32 AM

Thanks everybody for your helpful answers. I appreciate it.

Hi I think I can see the the problem as by the looks of things the scope you puchased looks like it was manufactured around the mid 60,s or early part of the 70,s.the reason why your eyepieces most probably will not fit as back then the standard barrel size was 0.965”,now all eyepieces produced are 1.25”,2” and even 3” barrels.you should be able to puchase an adapter which is 0.965”male to 1.25” female this slots into the focuser of the telescope,make sure firstly that a adapter is not already supplied with the scope.

Actually I didn't expect it to be that old since its so clean :/

Oh my, what a beautiful telescope.  Don't give up on it.  Those long focus achromats are wonderful.

I don't see a diagonal anywhere in the pics.  Straight viewing, looking directly at objects versus looking down with use of a 90 degree diagonal makes viewing so much easier.

I was wondering if the "focus achromat" (I didn't know the name laugh.gif) is useful or not 

But yeah, I don't have the diagonal.

From the photos you have two 3 element Kellner eyepieces, RK 20mm (50x) and K 9mm (111x), which are good magnifications for your scope. 111x is about the max you will get out of the 60mm/1000mm refractor. Skip the 4 mm eyepiece, 3x barlow (useless) and 1.5x erecting eyepiece imo.

No diagonal is shown. Something similar to this GSO 0.965"/1.25" 90-deg Hybrid Mirror Star Diagonal will let you use 1.25in eyepieces in your scope. It is a .965 diagonal with a built in 1.25in eyepiece adapter. GSO is based in Taiwan and sell world wide under various brandings. The cheaper your diagonal, the less quality glass flat and alignment, is a general rule of thumb.

https://agenaastro.c...r-diagonal.html

Good viewing,

Dave

Thanks for this part by part explanation. Can I ask why the 1.5x erecting eyepiece, 4 mm eyepiece and the barlow are useless? Can you also clarify the purpose or name of the two rings and a holder thing that I have I have no idea on how they can be used laugh.gif (refer the picture of eyepieces set)

Edited by Nawras, 09 March 2021 - 03:42 AM.

#13 siriusandthepup

siriusandthepup

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 09 March 2021 - 10:14 AM

No age penalty for a telescope that has been stored well. It should work just as well in 100 years as now, if stored inside and protected.

You have awesome photos for a new guy!  Pictures are so helpful.

One more tip - put something in your personal data for your location. Knowing your rough location is also useful to the community for recommendations. Doesn't have to be your street address....rofl.

Edited by siriusandthepup, 09 March 2021 - 10:14 AM.

• Nawras likes this

#14 dmgriff

dmgriff

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 30 degrees latitude, USA

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:17 PM

I was wondering if the "focus achromat" (I didn't know the name laugh.gif) is useful or not 

Thanks for this part by part explanation. Can I ask why the 1.5x erecting eyepiece, 4 mm eyepiece and the barlow are useless? Can you also clarify the purpose or name of the two rings and a holder thing that I have I have no idea on how they can be used laugh.gif (refer the picture of eyepieces set)

With the 20mm eyepiece, the plastic 3x barlow (not the best optically) will yield the equivalent of about a 6.3mm (~160x) eyepiece, which well above the rule of thumb 120x max magnification of a 60mm scope. You can try it of course. The 1.5x erecting eyepiece/barlow has a amici prism in it, I believe, and will give you a "terrestrial" erect image. These will show a visible line in the field of view. Not the best for astronomical viewing. It will yeild approximately 13mm (~75x) eyepiece with the 20mm. A nice fit, try it for the magnification, but I dont think it will compare to a kellner or plossl ep of similar focal length. The 4mm (225x) is unusable in the 60mm scope, imo.

The rings appear to be some kind of adapters/retainers?. Do your 1.25in eps fit in the one with the retaining screws? Is it threaded? It looks like you found a kit. It may fit on the end of a focuser drawtube to retain a diagonal, etc. That is a guess.

Good viewing,

Dave

Edited by dmgriff, 09 March 2021 - 12:23 PM.

• SteveG and Nawras like this

#15 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:41 PM

The term is long-focus, achromat. Your scope is an “achromatic doublet”. Because it has a long focal length, we call it “long-focus”.

Where did you get those eyepieces, and have you measured and confirmed they have 1-1/4” barrels?

I agree with those saying you need a 90 degree diagonal.

Another possible option is to replace the visual back (black part threaded onto the chrome draw-tube) with a 1-1/4” visual back, then buy all 1-1/4” accessories.

#16 Nawras

Nawras

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:05 PM

No age penalty for a telescope that has been stored well. It should work just as well in 100 years as now, if stored inside and protected.

You have awesome photos for a new guy!  Pictures are so helpful.

One more tip - put something in your personal data for your location. Knowing your rough location is also useful to the community for recommendations. Doesn't have to be your street address....rofl.

Happy to hear that. Thanks for the note, I have updated my profile info. I'm from Japan :)

The rings appear to be some kind of adapters/retainers?. Do your 1.25in eps fit in the one with the retaining screws? Is it threaded? It looks like you found a kit. It may fit on the end of a focuser drawtube to retain a diagonal, etc. That is a guess.

Thanks for your explanations.

Yup, the eyepieces can fit into the one with screws and its threaded. but it doesn't fit the telescope.

As you have guessed, the eyepieces were in one kit (bought on Japans' auction). Besides, there wasn't any information about the kit, it was on auction under "camera lens" category. I think the seller didn't quite understand what these pieces can be used for.

The term is long-focus, achromat. Your scope is an “achromatic doublet”. Because it has a long focal length, we call it “long-focus”.

Where did you get those eyepieces, and have you measured and confirmed they have 1-1/4” barrels?

I agree with those saying you need a 90 degree diagonal.

Another possible option is to replace the visual back (black part threaded onto the chrome draw-tube) with a 1-1/4” visual back, then buy all 1-1/4” accessories.

Thanks for the correcting me about the term. I got them separately from the telescope. To be honest, I don't understand this 1-1/4" thing but the eyepieces fit into the barrel with no problem

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics