•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I'm Always The New Guy

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rodney j johnson jr

rodney j johnson jr

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: kilgore, texas

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:07 AM

used my brother-in-law's telescope last night and the night before.
last night the sky was so dark i couldn't see anything.

thought maybe i was going night-blind.

then i pointed it to a strong light source (radio tower beacon) some miles away.
still nothing.

i wondered for a bit. it had worked ok on previous occasions.

i fiddled with it and then i checked the front lens.

it had a lens cap on it.

just.......shoot me now.

if making mistakes is what makes us human, then i'm the most human 

sort-of bi-pedal one you ever saw.

story from a friend:

Lol. My ex husband mike and his friend just about died one day pulling the start cable on a snowmobile one day. They checked everything and it still wouldn't start. So pull, pull, pull. I thought they were going to puke. I walked by, reached down, turned off kill switch , and just kept on walking. I'm sure they wanted to kill me.

Edited by rodney j johnson jr, 08 March 2021 - 11:12 AM.

• ravenhawk82, Synapsno, CeeKay and 2 others like this

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 12:02 PM

I think most of us have done that at least once. Usually you figure out that one pretty quick. The more confusing one was when I put another eyepiece in, a premium quality one, and the view was just awful, dim, extremely blurry. Looked at the eyepiece to see if there was any shattered glass. It was my first premium eyepiece, and the thought occurred to me that it had a good run, it was fully amortized at least if I needed to replace it. Turns out I left the semi-translucent dust cap on the nose piece.

Scott
  • Sincos, Stefano Delmonte and rodney j johnson jr like this

#3 Hexley  Happy Birthday!

Hexley

Vostok 1

• Loc: South Florida

Posted 08 March 2021 - 12:10 PM

If you can see through the lens cap, you might need a new one wink.gif

• SeattleScott, jerobe and rodney j johnson jr like this

#4 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Graham WA

Posted 08 March 2021 - 12:21 PM

I remember getting the scope all set up and being appalled at the crappy view...forgot to take the baggie off the secondary mirror.

• icomet, Sincos and rodney j johnson jr like this

#5 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:45 PM

As the King of making mistakes, take heart. Making mistakes is part of life and is one of the things that makes us human, just make sure to understand the mistake you made, what went wrong, learn from it and try not to repeat the same mistake.

I am 60 orbits around our Star old and have been doing Amateur Astronomy for 52+ years and so feel that I have learned enough and have the right to dispense "my knowledge and wisdom" to those who hopefully can make good use of it.

Do not disparage and please do not give up. Amateur Astronomy is both a rich and rewarding hobby that can take you as high and as far as your imagination and telescope can take you. Most of the human population have only "Earthly" concerns and are completely oblivious to the night sky and the rest of OUR Universe and I find this sad. We make it our business to learn and find out, that's what makes us Amateur Astronomers and makes us somewhat special. 

Good luck and clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• doctordub, Sincos and rodney j johnson jr like this

#6 Stefano Delmonte

Stefano Delmonte

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Salou (Spain) & Broni (Italy)

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:05 PM

Don't worry at all,  I think too that everybody experienced so one time or more.

This happen with the finder too or with a reflex, seems the caps enjoy doing solol.gif

Ste

• rodney j johnson jr likes this

#7 belliott4488

belliott4488

Vostok 1

• Loc: MD, US

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:50 PM

I did it with an illuminated eyepiece just last week when I was trying to align my mount. I could figure out why the alignment was so bad that the star I was trying to center wasn't even visible in the field of view.

Then I took the cap off the eyepiece.

#8 ravenhawk82

ravenhawk82

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 March 2021 - 10:03 PM

Just wait until you've driven two hours to a dark location and realize you left your mount's battery at home ;)

#9 rodney j johnson jr

rodney j johnson jr

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:41 PM

Just wait until you've driven two hours to a dark location and realize you left your mount's battery at home wink.gif

or something else critical to your mission!

can opener, toilet paper, film, _________________ (fill in the blank).

'i thought you brought it'.

'i thought YOU brought it!'

Edited by rodney j johnson jr, 08 March 2021 - 11:56 PM.

• Sincos likes this

#10 Sincos

Sincos

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: 100ft from the Atlantic Ocean in Newfoundland

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:12 PM

Who hasn’t at one time or another missed something on your mental checklist, guess that’s why pilots have their checklists on cards or some other hardcopy. So long as no damage to rig or person you have another chance to grin at yourself.   ; )

#11 rodney j johnson jr

rodney j johnson jr

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:28 PM

i was going to use miron's (brother-in-law) telescope today to play with a zoom eyepiece that we hadn't really explored.

i had the scope aimed out the dining room window to the top of a radio tower. i bet the red beacon light bulb on top is a foot high.

got it all set up and decided to use a different eyepiece first. wow, it was neat. nice and crisp and clear.

i switched to the zoom, which is more powerful, really pulling images close.

i'm messing and messing with it, but all i got was hairy-looking blurs. i took the eyepiece off and cleaned it as best i could, and the front lens of the scope.

no change; still awful and exactly the same image.

i gave up and sat back, wondering what was wrong; the telescope, the eyepiece, or me.

sometimes it takes a while, but i get a solution. i got close to the window and sho' nuff, it was FILTHY.

o'course i had to laugh at myself.

hang on- it gets worse! (i know, i know, how could it possibly get worse?)

miron was making a stroganoff for supper and i told him the story.

he laughed and told me a church story.

a preacher's wife was looking out a window one day at some kids playing outside.
she commented on how dirty those kids were and the preacher ignored her.

she kept on fussing about it for days. carrying on about how dirty they were and why didn't their moms clean them up.

he kept telling her to let it go, that it wasn't her business; but she wouldn't.

one day she's ready to start in again and gasped in surprise.

'why, they're clean! just look at them! who would have thought it? i wonder whether someone told their moms?'

her husband said 'no, i cleaned the window'.

i guess the true cause of something, good or bad, isn't always apparent. and it can be closer than we think. before he got to the punchline i was thinking maybe she wore glasses and they were dirty.

#12 NOLAMusEd

NOLAMusEd

Ranger 4

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 10 March 2021 - 12:26 AM

It's even more embarrassing when it takes you longer than it should to realize that, no, there is no phantom cloud in the sky between you and your target. No, there is no spiderweb laid ever so perfectly across your mirror clouding your image. The transparent eyepiece cap covering the field lens is still on. One of the mistakes you can make with eyepieces that have a dual 2"/1.25" skirt. Astronomy will humble you in many ways lol.gif

#13 COViewer

COViewer

Explorer 1

Posted 10 March 2021 - 08:22 PM

Been there, done that. In front of a girl in my youth, no less.
  • therealdmt likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics