•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I've been keeping a vague, but constant eye on EAA - this might give more insight?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mrcloc

Mrcloc

Vendor - SvBony Eyepieces

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pretoria, South Africa

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:12 AM

So I really enjoy AP and other related videos from Astrobiscuit, and he recently released this trailer. I'm quite keen to see what that Stellina can do. I've given it a search, but there isn't much info here on Stellina, but it's an interesting thing.

https://www.youtube....h?v=q6GMNCtZs8k

#2 Hexley

Hexley

Vostok 1

• Loc: South Florida

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:24 AM

If they can get that price down from its astronomical level down to sub-$2000, it'll be hugely popular.

#3 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Viking 1

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:48 AM

The next step will be renting access to an image database from a robotic observatory so that you can manipulate said data in order to call the images your own.  "We don't need no stinkin' astro gear!"  Oh, wait . . . .

#4 Mrcloc

Mrcloc

Vendor - SvBony Eyepieces

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pretoria, South Africa

Posted 08 March 2021 - 12:21 PM

If they can get that price down from its astronomical level down to sub-$2000, it'll be hugely popular.

I went and watched some reviews. I honestly don't think it does that well, considering the consistency of the images in the reviews, and what I've seen here and from other dedicated AP setups. Those reviews say it's going for over $4000!! No way, thanks. I see value in some assisted-observing, but it's not live enough to show an Io transit, for example (and if it is, the FL is too short, IMO).

I think if one can, it's great to get into AP. Perhaps it would be an excuse for me to get that 150-600mm Tamron lens for my camera that I've wanted for wildlife photography, but for me, I can simply search for images on Google if I want to see a photo of something (it's not like they're going anywhere).

Maybe for $4000, a 12" guided Dobsonian with a dedicated sensor would be a better close-to-live image?

Still, I look forward to Astrobiscuit's video - it's always entertaining, and I hope his channel does well.

#5 shakafell

shakafell

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:23 PM

I'm quite keen to see what that Stellina can do. I've given it a search, but there isn't much info here on Stellina,

Here's a 12 page thread on it

https://www.cloudyni...an-the-evscope/

#6 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:30 PM

So I really enjoy AP and other related videos from Astrobiscuit, and he recently released this trailer. I'm quite keen to see what that Stellina can do. I've given it a search, but there isn't much info here on Stellina, but it's an interesting thing.

https://www.youtube....h?v=q6GMNCtZs8k

For less money you can do way better!

Steve

#7 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:55 PM

As there is an existing EAA topic on the Stellina, please continue the discussion here. Thanks.lock.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics