•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3 Aux into one on Nexstar

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 PMac1

PMac1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: London

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:12 PM

Hello all, I have a nexstar 8SE mount with a single aux port. I am running a wifi portal so got the Celestron dongle. I am now looking to add starsense and potentially the celestron motor focuser. So I need 3 aux ports

here are my 3 Qs:

(1) how do I get to 3 AUX without daisy chaining. Does the handset utilise an Aux port where I could also use another splitter to end up with 4 Aux total which would fit my purpose?

(2) I am running the Nexstar off a Celestron Lithium 7.2 Ah LiFePO4 Powertank. Is that likely up to the task of powering all those electronics?

(3) it looks like any focuser (celestron or two) may interfere with a DSLR mounted prime any opinions on that? it's a tight space between the SCT and mount base but I plan to use an extended dovetail to gain an inch or so

Thanks for guidance!

#2 AtlantaAstro

AtlantaAstro

Mariner 2

• Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:55 PM

There is a 3 bank aux connector that is discontinued. This will allow you to plug three things into 1 aux port. I see them every now and then for sale here

#3 mlord

mlord

Apollo

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 08 March 2021 - 03:24 PM

(1) how do I get to 3 AUX without daisy chaining. Does the handset utilise an Aux port where I could also use another splitter to end up with 4 Aux total which would fit my purpose?

Yes, the "handset port" is actually another AUX port.  All of the AUX ports are wired together in parallel, so it doesn't matter much which connector is used for what, with the caveat the the one on the fork arm has longer wiring than the one on the base, and wire length matters sometimes.  Daisy chaining off of the base port is probably at least as good as putting one of the splitters on the fork arm port because of that.

If you can acquire or crimp a proper RJ12 patch cable, then there's a 4-way splitter board on Amazon for about US$10 that would also solve the issue without having to get and daisy chain Celestron branded splitters.

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B017B69D3U/

Edited by mlord, 08 March 2021 - 03:28 PM.

#4 PMac1

PMac1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 05:45 AM

There is a 3 bank aux connector that is discontinued. This will allow you to plug three things into 1 aux port. I see them every now and then for sale here

The only 3 aux connector I could see is the one supplied with the "skywatcher" version of the starsense, but I don't think celestron sell those as a separate accessory, otherwise could be quite neat

https://www.celestro...-watcher-mounts

#5 PMac1

PMac1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 05:52 AM

Yes, the "handset port" is actually another AUX port.  All of the AUX ports are wired together in parallel, so it doesn't matter much which connector is used for what, with the caveat the the one on the fork arm has longer wiring than the one on the base, and wire length matters sometimes.  Daisy chaining off of the base port is probably at least as good as putting one of the splitters on the fork arm port because of that.

If you can acquire or crimp a proper RJ12 patch cable, then there's a 4-way splitter board on Amazon for about US$10 that would also solve the issue without having to get and daisy chain Celestron branded splitters.

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B017B69D3U/

Thank you that's a good recommendation. I'm trying to end up with as "neat" a setup as I can in order to avoid too much stuff trailing around as a temptation for small curious kids' hands ;-)

I was hoping that I could for example use the handset Aux with a splitter to connect both the HC and the wifi permanently. As I use the sky portal app, I have little use for the handset other than the occasional small slew correction. I remember seeing on here somewhere somebody who did a neat installation of the handset in some kind of cradle attached to the mount arm, but I can't find it anymore ..  Regarding the 4-way splitter board on amazon, do you just let it "hang" with the three aux connected to it (starsense, focuser, wifi)? doesn't that tangle up after a while?

#6 mlord

mlord

Apollo

Posted 09 March 2021 - 07:12 AM

Regarding the 4-way splitter board on amazon, do you just let it "hang" with the three aux connected to it (starsense, focuser, wifi)? doesn't that tangle up after a while?

When I used it here, I built it into a small plastic project box and velcro'd the box to the side of the fork arm.  The same box also contained other electronics (GPS unit) so mine was larger than necessary.  Smaller boxes are commonplace.

https://www.cloudyni...8#entry10697449

I have seen another person who simply mounted it into the cavity on the 8se where the handset was normally stowed.  So long as it is attached to the moving part of the mount (rather than the legs), nothing gets cord-wrapped or tangled.

Going this route does require a properly crimped short patch cable to connect it though.  There are two ways to crimp a connector onto the end of flat 6c cabling: top, or bottom side.  Get it wrong at one end, and it will damage the Celestron electronics.  Simple thing, but so so complex for many people to get right.  There are NUMEROUS threads here on CN with photos showing the correct orientations of the two end connectors.

#7 Gamewarden

Gamewarden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Centreville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 March 2021 - 07:23 AM

I have the 6se and run the focuser, wifi and Srarsense with 2 splitters. One plugged into the regular aux and the other into the handset aux, works great.

#8 Chote

Chote

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:16 AM

Another way to connect it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 25F953A8-FD74-4002-A8F9-3B4EA04B0DB7.png

• imrj likes this

#9 PMac1

PMac1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:49 AM

I have the 6se and run the focuser, wifi and Srarsense with 2 splitters. One plugged into the regular aux and the other into the handset aux, works great.

by plugging the splitter into the handset aux are you still able to keep the handset in its place without modifying the handset cradle on the arm? That could be the neatest solution with the splitter then sitting just below the handset outside the arm and the sky portal wifi dongle connected straight into it

#10 PMac1

PMac1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:50 AM

When I used it here, I built it into a small plastic project box and velcro'd the box to the side of the fork arm.  The same box also contained other electronics (GPS unit) so mine was larger than necessary.  Smaller boxes are commonplace.

https://www.cloudyni...8#entry10697449

I have seen another person who simply mounted it into the cavity on the 8se where the handset was normally stowed.  So long as it is attached to the moving part of the mount (rather than the legs), nothing gets cord-wrapped or tangled.

Going this route does require a properly crimped short patch cable to connect it though.  There are two ways to crimp a connector onto the end of flat 6c cabling: top, or bottom side.  Get it wrong at one end, and it will damage the Celestron electronics.  Simple thing, but so so complex for many people to get right.  There are NUMEROUS threads here on CN with photos showing the correct orientations of the two end connectors.

Thank you, if the handset AUX port splitter thing doesn't pan out I'll try that

#11 PMac1

PMac1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:51 AM

Another way to connect it.

Thanks for the picture

#12 Gamewarden

Gamewarden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Centreville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:36 PM

If you plug the splitter into the handset aux you need to place the handset elsewhere. I use one of those sticky command hooks and hang the handset on it so it rides with the mount. The other connection I plug in the wifi module trying to keep it as far away as possible from my USB 3 cable.

#13 TomDiego

TomDiego

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 09 March 2021 - 06:26 PM

I have a 6SE and I plug the Celestron 2-port AUX splitter into the HC port on the arm.  Then I plug the WiFi module into the splitter because it won't fit inside the HC cavity.  I plug the StarSense into the AUX port on the mount using a RJ12 coiled "telephone-type" cord (not an actual coiled telephone cord, which is RJ11) and that keeps things neat and tidy.  I use SkySafari to control the scope.  I had a part 3D printed that hangs on the HC cavity which will hold a Talentcell battery and the AUX splitter, and has a place to hang the HC if I decide to use that.  Since everything is on the arm or the mount there are no cord wrap problems.

Edited by TomDiego, 09 March 2021 - 06:27 PM.

#14 rocice

rocice

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 10 March 2021 - 09:14 AM

Hand set cradle https://starizona.co...control-bracket

We use the handset port with a splitter.  Attach wifi to one port and HC to 2nd port.  We use SkySafari on an Android phone.  During the winter, prefer larger slew buttons on the HC 

#15 PMac1

PMac1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2021 - 10:07 AM

Hand set cradle https://starizona.co...control-bracket

We use the handset port with a splitter. Attach wifi to one port and HC to 2nd port. We use SkySafari on an Android phone. During the winter, prefer larger slew buttons on the HC

#16 PMac1

PMac1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2021 - 10:09 AM

Very neat, unfortunately can’t get them in U.K. starizona ship for $60.. I’ll come up with something taking inspiration from the multiple designs on CN

#17 Maritime

Maritime

Viking 1

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:15 AM

Very neat, unfortunately can’t get them in U.K. starizona ship for $60.. I’ll come up with something taking inspiration from the multiple designs on CN

I suspect us postage is much lower. Buy one, have it sent to me, and I’ll send it to you as a gift, charging only us postage. I bought one from them for my Evo and love it. 

#18 PMac1

PMac1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2021 - 12:25 PM

I suspect us postage is much lower. Buy one, have it sent to me, and I’ll send it to you as a gift, charging only us postage. I bought one from them for my Evo and love it. 

Hey that's very kind. I'll PM you

#19 Maritime

Maritime

Viking 1

Posted 10 March 2021 - 01:37 PM

Check your pms. Always glad to help a UK dude. 

• mlord likes this

#20 PMac1

PMac1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2021 - 03:27 PM

Thanks again

#21 Maritime

Maritime

Viking 1

Posted 10 March 2021 - 03:29 PM

Pleasure. 

#22 imrj

imrj

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 March 2021 - 08:20 PM

i 3d printed something similar to that, from thingiverse, very helpful, comes in handy....

https://www.thingive...m/thing:3242670

of course you would need a 3D printer, which ran me $1,000...alas not for this purpose alone  :)

#23 mlord

mlord

Apollo

Posted 10 March 2021 - 08:22 PM

Lots of municipal libraries around the world seem to have 3D printers available for use at modest fees..

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics