•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is it possible to uninstall Microsoft 10 and reinstall it on my Surface Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:23 PM

The reason is, I just cannot get it to connect to my astronomy rig properly and it should be able to because my other two laptops which are Windows 10 have no issues but I need this particular laptop to work for me as it is less power hungry and the other laptops I use for work. So I want to start from square one. I think its called a clean install.    however I am not sure how to proceed with that.  thank you!

#2 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:30 PM

DON'T DO IT!!!!! IT'S NOT ASCOM DRIVER. I BET IT'S OPERATOR ERROR!!!!!!

#3 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:35 PM

Exactly what specific model number is your Surface? Please give us an exact link of your Surface, make sure it has exactly same CPU, RAM size, etc.

#4 kkt

kkt

Aurora

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:42 PM

Do you find that you get better responses by yelling at people?

#5 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Viking 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:48 PM

There is a feature in Win 10 where you can reset it to factory fresh - no reinstall required. You will have a computer that looked just like when it was bought. Gone are the days of having to have a disc or media to reinstall, thank goodness.

BUT I think you possibly have the incorrect drivers loaded, especially if you're using a serial adapter. You can uninstall those first and start there, saving a bunch of time.

• psandelle likes this

#6 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:00 PM

Do you find that you get better responses by yelling at people?

See his other related threads and he's not listening well.

• iwannabswiss likes this

#7 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:05 PM

Which operator error? I believe I have duplicated my settings and drivers to those of the other two laptops. 

#8 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:07 PM

See his other related threads and he's not listening well.

I will try exactly how you stated. I am not sure I have not already but I will try again. 

#9 astrohamp

astrohamp

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 04:19 PM

Rather then cleaning your system disk by 'reverting' or wiping, how about replacing the SSD with a new one and install a new Win 10 Pro, bloat ware free.  A complete driver set for the computer should be obtained prior to the task.  Microsoft has some instructions here that may help.  A full version (non-oem) of the operating system from a different build and current Windows key may work and save cost of new Win10 Pro software.   Note that some computers don't have removable/replaceable hard drives.

Keep old version as backup.  As needed.   Image the working system drive when it is stable and add to the archive.  Repeat as necessary.

#10 skywolf856

skywolf856

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:21 PM

If you have an OEM version of windows it is locked to the computer it was installed on.

If you have the full retail version of windows, then you can uninstall and reinstall on any pc. Just can't have more than one version running to be legal.

One way to check which version of windows you have.

https://www.tenforum...ail-volume.html

#11 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 09 March 2021 - 10:00 AM

Assuming this is just a reload of the same machine, see post #5. When machines are so messed up that this can't be done, one can download the windows image (just use the MediaCreation tool?) and reload. The keys are stored in BIOS (I'm old, it will always be BIOS) these days so it should work without licensing issues.

Dan

#12 skywolf856

skywolf856

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:41 PM

I don't think the keys are in BIOS, I think MS keeps them on there servers.

If it's a reload, just omit putting the key in, MS will authenticate it over the web.

#13 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:09 PM

I don't think the keys are in BIOS, I think MS keeps them on there servers.

If it's a reload, just omit putting the key in, MS will authenticate it over the web.

This was true in the past but not so for the last few years. This is why there are not key stickers on machines now.

#14 HasAnyoneSeenMyNebula

HasAnyoneSeenMyNebula

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 March 2021 - 09:47 AM

I back up all my images and docs on the cloud. I’ve had several issues where the only solution was to wipe the drive and re-install. The first time it seemed like a big deal. Now it’s not. With everything being subscription these days I just searched my email for the welcome pages for each program and reinstalled those too. It takes about a day to get it all back together. And I agree, much less bloatware

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics