•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rosette Nebula with ZWO ASI294MM Pro

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Maurice Toet

Maurice Toet

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Zoetermeer, Netherlands

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:21 PM

The last two weeks we had a surprisingly large amount of clear skies in The Netherlands. I decided to go narrowband all the way on the Rosette nebula and captured data though Baader Highspeed Ha, OIII and SII filters with an ZWO ASI294MM Pro and Takahashi Epsilon-180ED. Total integration time is 14.5 hours: 18x 600s SII, 46x 600s Ha, 23x 600s OIII.

Processing a multi-colour narrowband image is quite different from a regular RGB/one shot colour image. My mind wants to make a natural looking image, but that's nonsense when your actually creating a false colour image. Pure SHO colour mapping didn't give satisfying results, so I ended up mixing the colours over the three channels which resulted in this pastel-shaded Rosette. Ha only was used for luminance.

i-g2RSwfj-XL.jpg

i-qMmr6fD-XL.jpg

• blackhaz, sparkyht, John O'Grady and 26 others like this

#2 micromaxcomputer

micromaxcomputer

Sputnik

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:39 PM

Remarkable

• Maurice Toet likes this

#3 AstroCatinfo

AstroCatinfo

Messenger

• Loc: Prades, Catalunya - Spain

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:46 PM

Really well done! Did you use bin2 mode? Which Gain setting were you using? I have a brand ASI294MM and I’m wondering which settings to use with my FSQ85.

Thanks so much. This is a great great image!

#4 iwannabswiss

iwannabswiss

Apollo

• Loc: Somewhere in Space

Posted 09 March 2021 - 10:52 AM

Pure SHO colour mapping didn't give satisfying results, so I ended up mixing the colours over the three channels which resulted in this pastel-shaded Rosette. Ha only was used for luminance.

The coloring is gorgeous.

I'm assuming you used PI?  What were the equations used for each channel?

#5 Maurice Toet

Maurice Toet

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:16 PM

Thank you for your comments.

@AstroCatinfo: this was indeed captured at the native bin 2x2 mode of the ASI294MM. Gain was set at 120. A higher resolution version can be found on my website: https://www.mauricet...Sky/i-g2RSwfj/A

@iwannebswiss: I used AstroPixelProcessor (APP) and actually mixed an HOO and SHO version in Photoshop and did some final colour stretching in Photoshop's Lab colour mode. Colour settings in APP were as follows:

HOO
Ha: 86% R - 64% G - 38% B
OIII: 14% R - 36% G - 63% B

SHO
SII: 67% R - 40% G - 20% B
OIII: 33% R - 33% G - 32% B
Ha: 0% R - 27% G - 47% B

Edited by Maurice Toet, 09 March 2021 - 01:01 PM.

• iwannabswiss and bigeastro like this

#6 Mert

Mert

Cosmos

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:27 PM

Lovely image Maurice, well done

#7 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:55 PM

WHERE IS THE DREADED BANDING??

:) :) : ) :)

#8 bigeastro

bigeastro

Vanguard

• Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:28 PM

I am not quite sure how many times this needs to be said, but banding is not an issue on the 11MP mode exposures, or LRGB on 11MP or 47MP or even some may claim on any of the ZWO modes.  Let's see how you do on the 1x1 47MP mode.  Let me know if you have any issues.

Maurice, 

Awesome  image and really a result of what the camera can do in capable hands. 

Truly spectacular.

• Maurice Toet, Peter in Reno and rockstarbill like this

#9 lucam

lucam

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY, USA

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:54 PM

Beautiful work, Maurice! lovely colors and detail.

#10 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:53 PM

I am not quite sure how many times this needs to be said, but banding is not an issue on the 11MP mode exposures, or LRGB on 11MP or 47MP or even some may claim on any of the ZWO modes.  Let's see how you do on the 1x1 47MP mode.  Let me know if you have any issues.

Maurice, 

Awesome  image and really a result of what the camera can do in capable hands. 

Truly spectacular.

I deleted my other lest the CN police critique for being OT but, again, the OP is wonderful.   I was told by someone here on CN that changing the mode does not affect hard drive space but my unbinned images, 1 x1 resolution 8288 5644 is 91M. Is it OT for me to ask in light of this wonderful image from our Dutch friend, where then the issue is? He shot 2 x 2 and I shot 1 x1 LRGB and no banding in either.  I just don't want people to be discouraged from this camera for false reasons.   What is 11MP? Can I ask that here without anyone getting hot under the collor about OT? Thank you!

• Complexmystery likes this

#11 Complexmystery

Complexmystery

Ranger 4

• Loc: Baton Rouge

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:58 PM

I deleted my other lest the CN police critique for being OT but, again, the OP is wonderful.  

You’re a wanted man Ballyhoo. 

#12 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:05 PM

He shot 2 x 2 and I shot 1 x1 LRGB and no banding in either. 

Bin 2x2 was never a problem. Bin 1x1 LRGB was never a problem. Bin 1x1 SHO (Narrowband) is a problem.

• sparkyht and Peter in Reno like this

#13 Maurice Toet

Maurice Toet

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:05 PM

I deleted my other lest the CN police critique for being OT but, again, the OP is wonderful.   I was told by someone here on CN that changing the mode does not affect hard drive space but my unbinned images, 1 x1 resolution 8288 5644 is 91M. Is it OT for me to ask in light of this wonderful image from our Dutch friend, where then the issue is? He shot 2 x 2 and I shot 1 x1 LRGB and no banding in either.  I just don't want people to be discouraged from this camera for false reasons.   What is 11MP? Can I ask that here without anyone getting hot under the collor about OT? Thank you!

I haven't noticed any banding issues with the ASI294MM. It's perfectly normal that your files sizes in MB are approximately the double of the number of MP. So about 22 MB when used 2x2 binned (11 MP) and 94 MB when used 1x1 binned (47 MP).  

• Ballyhoo likes this

#14 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:18 PM

That is a fantastic image, thanks for sharing. I like the colors, and you seem to have that Epsilon well under control judging from the sharpness.

#15 Maurice Toet

Maurice Toet

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:22 PM

Thanks Rasfahan (and others who have commented in the mean time). Considering the sharpness of the stars: there's room for improvement on collimation, especially noticeable in the original files at full resolution.

#16 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:17 PM

Thanks Rasfahan (and others who have commented in the mean time). Considering the sharpness of the stars: there's room for improvement on collimation, especially noticeable in the original files at full resolution.

I am sure you feel that way but even in the crop at your website I don‘t see the problem zooming in. I‘ld be glad if I got to that point with my reflectors. This is solely meant as a compliment, I totally understand the constant strive for improvement.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics