•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Practical aspects of Antlia 3nm filters versus Baader Filters, Rosette and Seagull Nebulas

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:16 PM

So I bought the Antlia 3nm Ha filter a few months ago.  I have used it extensively and like it a lot.  The O3 and S2 filters then came in and I did a comparison of all three filters versus my Baader filters.

The Baader filters have various bandpasses of 7nm for Ha, 8.5nm for O3 and 8nm for S2.  The Antlia's are all 3nm.  The Antlia's are the most recent filters.  In my case all these filters are 2" mounted and this comparison was done with a Tak FSQ 106 and an ASI 6200mm camera.

There has been a lot of discussion on CNs about these Antlia filters and whether they are a poor man's version of Chroma or Astrodon filters.

My general observations are as as follows:

1. The Antlia Ha filter produces next to no halos and is a nice alternative to the Baader Ha filter.

2. The O3 filter is better than the Baader O3 filter.  There are still halos.  They are not as pronounced, but they are there.  O3 filters are     tough in this regard.

3. The Antlia S2 filter is again slightly better than the Baader filter w.r.t. halos.  Seems to work fine.

4. 3nm filters gather less light.  That might be great in light polluted skies. I was able to stretch the 3nm data and get good images.  But the wider bandpasses allowed more light to pass.

5. Personally, I think processing is more important thant filter issues such as halos.  Either set gives good images.

6. For the price difference I would buy the Antlia filters.  IMHO I don't think filters 2-3x more expensive are worth the cost.

7. 2" mounted filters work with full frame cameras.  There is vignetting.  There are reflections off the metal mounting rings.  My Baader 7nm Ha filter had pronounced reflections.  It showed up in flats and made it hard to calibrate out.  I took the filter apart and painted the metal rings flat black which helped with reflections and made the flats work much better.  This is a drag.  I think it is an issue with all 2" mounted filters.  2" mounted filters are more than enough for APS sized sensors without having to worry about this issue.

The next posts will show some comparisons.  These are stacks of 27x5m images with simple level stretches to bring out the halos.  If you looked at one sub you would see the same.  The stacks were done in APP with dark, bias and flat frames.  I am showing crops on the few bright stars in the image.  I think this is representative of most imaging.  There have been some Antlia images posted on very bright stars including Sirius.  Personally,I wouldn't make a decision based upon performance on the brightest stars in the sky.

Images follow.

• Ballyhoo, leviathan, Jii and 3 others like this

#2 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:19 PM

Starting with the Ha filters imaging the Rosette.  Self explanatory (I hope.)

Attached Thumbnails

• Ha Comparison #2.jpg

• elmiko, leviathan and Tayson82 like this

#3 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:21 PM

And two brighter stars further away.

Attached Thumbnails

• Ha Comparison #1.jpg

• leviathan and Tayson82 like this

#4 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:24 PM

Those were the Ha filters.  Now the S2 filters.

Attached Thumbnails

• S2 Comparison #2.jpg

• Jim Waters, elmiko and leviathan like this

#5 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:26 PM

Next S2 image.

Attached Thumbnails

• S2 Comparison #1.jpg

#6 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:28 PM

Finally the O3 filters.

Attached Thumbnails

• O3 Comparison #1.jpg

#7 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:29 PM

Last O3 image.

Attached Thumbnails

• O3 Comparison #2.jpg

#8 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:32 PM

These images were processed side by side with just level stretches to bring out the halos.  Nothing perfect here.

The next images will look at final HOO and SHO processed images.  These were all processed with PS.

• Jim Waters likes this

#9 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:40 PM

Here is a wide field view, HOO of the Rosette with the Antlia filters.

Much better version here:

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

Attached Thumbnails

• Rosette_Antlia_Ha OO Flickr.jpg

• Jim Waters, elmiko, Jii and 1 other like this

#10 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:42 PM

Here is the same with the Baader filters.  I tried to keep the processing as close as possible.

Much better version on Flickr:

Attached Thumbnails

• Rosette_Baader_Ha OO #2 CNs.jpg

• Jim Waters and elmiko like this

#11 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:51 PM

Now a SHO version with the Antlia filters.

Better here:

Attached Thumbnails

• Antlia SHO PSProcessed Crop CNs.jpg

• Jim Waters, elmiko, leviathan and 2 others like this

#12 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:52 PM

And the Baader filters.

Flickr here:

Attached Thumbnails

• Baader SHO Crop Cns.jpg

• Jim Waters and elmiko like this

#13 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:02 AM

Joe - thanks for taking the time to post your filter analysis.

• leviathan likes this

#14 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:08 AM

Sure.  I'll post some more info tomorrow.

waytogo.gif

#15 lynnelkriver

lynnelkriver

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Elk River, Mn.

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:18 AM

Really nice work Joe!  All the best, Scott

#16 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:37 AM

So I bought the Antlia 3nm Ha filter a few months ago.  I have used it extensively and like it a lot.  The O3 and S2 filters then came in and I did a comparison of all three filters versus my Baader filters.

The Baader filters have various bandpasses of 7nm for Ha, 8.5nm for O3 and 8nm for S2.  The Antlia's are all 3nm.  The Antlia's are the most recent filters.  In my case all these filters are 2" mounted and this comparison was done with a Tak FSQ 106 and an ASI 6200mm camera.

There has been a lot of discussion on CNs about these Antlia filters and whether they are a poor man's version of Chroma or Astrodon filters.

My general observations are as as follows:

1. The Antlia Ha filter produces next to no halos and is a nice alternative to the Baader Ha filter.

2. The O3 filter is better than the Baader O3 filter.  There are still halos.  They are not as pronounced, but they are there.  O3 filters are     tough in this regard.

3. The Antlia S2 filter is again slightly better than the Baader filter w.r.t. halos.  Seems to work fine.

4. 3nm filters gather less light.  That might be great in light polluted skies. I was able to stretch the 3nm data and get good images.  But the wider bandpasses allowed more light to pass.

5. Personally, I think processing is more important thant filter issues such as halos.  Either set gives good images.

6. For the price difference I would buy the Antlia filters.  IMHO I don't think filters 2-3x more expensive are worth the cost.

7. 2" mounted filters work with full frame cameras.  There is vignetting.  There are reflections off the metal mounting rings.  My Baader 7nm Ha filter had pronounced reflections.  It showed up in flats and made it hard to calibrate out.  I took the filter apart and painted the metal rings flat black which helped with reflections and made the flats work much better.  This is a drag.  I think it is an issue with all 2" mounted filters.  2" mounted filters are more than enough for APS sized sensors without having to worry about this issue.

The next posts will show some comparisons.  These are stacks of 27x5m images with simple level stretches to bring out the halos.  If you looked at one sub you would see the same.  The stacks were done in APP with dark, bias and flat frames.  I am showing crops on the few bright stars in the image.  I think this is representative of most imaging.  There have been some Antlia images posted on very bright stars including Sirius.  Personally,I wouldn't make a decision based upon performance on the brightest stars in the sky.

Images follow.

Wow, I just ordered my Antila's yesterday, just the SHO filters. I am on the fence how important nicer filters are for LRGB but, thanks now I have no buyers remorse. I owe you a beer, or a coffee, whichever you prefer. :)

#17 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:31 PM

This isn't a comparison between the Antlia and Baader filters.  Just a comparison for the Antlia SHO filters.  These are processed 50x5m images, again with a Tak FSQ 106 and ASI 6200mm.

As expected the OIII filter has the worst halo, although I don't think it is that bad, followed by the S2 filter.  I have used the Antlia Ha filter extensively and there have been close to zero halos.

Another thing I neglected to point out in my first post is that the stars are much tighter/smaller with the Antlia 3nm filter. And they are closer in size between filters which makes combining easier and the stars to be more consistent.

Comparison:

Attached Thumbnails

• Seagull Filter Comparison.jpg

#18 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:42 PM

Here is a processed HOO image of the Seagull.

Better here:

Attached Thumbnails

• Seagull HOO Antlia CNs.jpg

#19 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:43 PM

And finally a SHO image.

Attached Thumbnails

• Seagull_Antlia_O3_50x5m-mod-lpc PS #1 CNs.jpg

#20 HAlfie

HAlfie

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: EU

Posted 11 March 2021 - 05:06 PM

Thanks a lot for these tests with full image available and with perfect autofocus!

That's very interesting. Antlia seem to handle better halo issues than Baader for Ha and SII, except for the OIII where antlia seem to be slightly better. OIII is the most tricky filter for halos anyway.

One thing that surprises me a little bit, having in the past compared Astrodon 5nm Ha with 3nm Ha and seen comparison between 7nm and 3nm, the size of stars seem not much different between Antlia 3nm & Baader 7-8,5nm.

Regarding S/N it seems very close while I was expecting an much higher improvment.

For instance Baader Ha7nm on the left vs Astrodon Ha3nm on the right posted by someone else under full moon: you can clearly see the difference of star size.

Ha7nm_fullmoon.jpg Ha3nm_fullmoon.jpg

Edited by HAlfie, 11 March 2021 - 05:18 PM.

#21 Joe G

Joe G

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 March 2021 - 09:30 PM

HAlfie,

I posted this thread when I first received the Antlia Ha filter.

In general, the 3nm filter produces tighter stars.

https://www.cloudyni.../#entry10833640

#22 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 12 March 2021 - 11:36 AM

HAlfie,

I posted this thread when I first received the Antlia Ha filter.

In general, the 3nm filter produces tighter stars.

https://www.cloudyni.../#entry10833640

I commented there, and i am really planning to buy only Antlia Ha 3nm, because i already have Chroma both OIII and SII 3nm at 1.25" size, so i can't afford again Chroma or Astrodon Ha 3nm now, i already had Astrodon Ha 5nm from the past also 1.25", so i want to complete with 3nm no matter which brand anymore as long it is cheaper.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics