•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

fc100 number9049

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Barker

Phil Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: hokitika New Zealand

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:54 AM

Well today with my good friend Larry Field I cleaned the lens on an fc100 number 9049 which had some mould on the front element.  It cleaned up easily no need to do anymore than gently clean the front of the lens with detergent and finally alcohol.  came up beautifully.

We tested the scope on a green led artificial star 300 metres away with a 133 lpi ronchi and on several nearby objects in daylight as its cloudy :(

The correction is clearly superb identical either side of focus.    Wow is all I can say I could barely see some CA on tree branches at 283 times with a 2.8mm ortho.

Absolutely snapped into focus and seems to be very sharp. Focuser very sharp and smooth even at 283 times amazing.  The lens is multi coated and this includes the inner element I could clearly see the inner R4 which is florite was coated!!

There is no red letter in the decal either but the florite is coated.

I now own this scope which came with a superb finderscope 50mm aperture.  I will be parting with some of the extras that came with it including adaptors and the turret whicb  is .965 and I want to use 1.25 inch eyepieces and a diagonal.fc100 (2).jpg

I like the 6mm and 18mm .965 orthos and will use those.  Didn't do too badly but did pay a fair price for the scope which is bigger and heaver than the newer versions.  I believe its around 30 years old anyone know?  It was owned by a late Japanese astronomer who knew the owner at Takahashi and sadly passed earlier this year.

• EricCCD, Erik Bakker, plyscope and 9 others like this

#2 TxStars

TxStars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:13 AM

Welcome to the FC100 club 

#90198 here.. Yep it will be 31 years old this year.

• Phil Barker likes this

#3 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 09 March 2021 - 06:08 AM

That is a superb optic and scope indeed. With a wonderful history. Thanks for sharing it here!
  • Phil Barker likes this

#4 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:53 AM

Congrats on a nice restoration! waytogo.gif

I hope this wonderful scope provides you with another thirty years of beautiful views.

Cheers,

Ron

(Happy owner of FC-100 #94055)

• Kevin Barker and Phil Barker like this

#5 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 09 March 2021 - 10:59 AM

Well today with my good friend Larry Field I cleaned the lens on an fc100 number 9049 which had some mould on the front element.  It cleaned up easily no need to do anymore than gently clean the front of the lens with detergent and finally alcohol.  came up beautifully.

We tested the scope on a green led artificial star 300 metres away with a 133 lpi ronchi and on several nearby objects in daylight as its cloudy frown.gif

The correction is clearly superb identical either side of focus.    Wow is all I can say I could barely see some CA on tree branches at 283 times with a 2.8mm ortho.

Absolutely snapped into focus and seems to be very sharp. Focuser very sharp and smooth even at 283 times amazing.  The lens is multi coated and this includes the inner element I could clearly see the inner R4 which is florite was coated!!

I now own this scope which came with a superb finderscope 50mm aperture.  I will be parting with some of the extras that came with it including adaptors and the turret whicb  is .965 and I want to use 1.25 inch eyepieces and a diagonal.attachicon.giffc100 (2).jpg

I like the 6mm and 18mm .965 orthos and will use those.  Didn't do too badly but did pay a fair price for the scope which is bigger and heaver than the newer versions.  I believe its around 30 years old anyone know?  It was owned by a late Japanese astronomer who knew the owner at Takahashi and sadly passed earlier this year.

It sounds like FC100 9049 has found a very caring new owner that will take it on many more night sky adventures for years to come.  The lens looks beautiful Phil, and I'm confident you're going to have great fun observing with it. And to add icing on the cake, you and Ron (FC100 94055) are now practically blood relations. smile.gif

• Kevin Barker and Phil Barker like this

#6 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

Posted 09 March 2021 - 11:16 AM

It sounds like FC100 9049 has found a very caring new owner that will take it on many more night sky adventures for years to come.  The lens looks beautiful Phil, and I'm confident you're going to have great fun observing with it. And to add icing on the cake, you and Ron (FC100 94055) are now practically blood relations. smile.gif

Let's not forget TxStars (90198). He is a bit "closer" than I am. lol.gif  

Ron

• Phil Barker and mikeDnight like this

#7 Phil Barker

Phil Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 11:26 AM

I notice with the scope the fit and finish is good and apart from from some very minor paint damage to the dew shield in great condition.

The prism in the turret is uncoated by the looks not sure what difference that will make I prefer mirror diagonals anyway but may look at getting it coated if thats possible looks to be easy to remove the prism.  Its a work of art the turret beautifully made and very functional.

I will make a box to store the scope in.  I used a 9mm nagler type 6 yesterday on some distant vistas and it seemed razor sharp to the edge.  Now in for months of cloud as usually happens when you are keen to use a scope,

Brother kevin had an early APQ100/1000 that  was in an AS tube  and the fit finish and general look remind me of that beautiful scope long sold sadly.   I know its a doublet and won't quite have the colour correction of the APQ but hopefully will have the superb planetary contrast that florite triplet had. 

• plyscope, Kevin Barker and Marcus Roman like this

#8 Marcus Roman

Marcus Roman

Ranger 4

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:39 PM

We tested the scope on a green led artificial star 300 metres away with a 133 lpi ronchi and on several nearby objects in daylight as its cloudy frown.gif

I now own this scope which came with a superb finderscope 50mm aperture.  I will be parting with some of the extras that came with it including adaptors and the turret whicb  is .965 and I want to use 1.25 inch eyepieces and a diagonal.attachicon.giffc100 (2).jpg

There is vast consensus and literature about the great quality and correction of vintage fluorite FC doublets, FC100 is really great! I think yours is an early 1989 specimen, as per the 4 digits rule which was clarified in this forum some time ago. Great purchase! Try on Jupiter and Saturn this summer and you’ll realise...

• Phil Barker and mikeDnight like this

#9 Marcus Roman

Marcus Roman

Ranger 4

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:40 PM

There is vast consensus and literature about the great quality and correction of vintage fluorite FC doublets, FC100 is really great! I think yours is an early 1989 specimen, as per the 4 digits rule which was clarified in this forum some time ago. Great purchase! Try on Jupiter and Saturn this summer and you’ll realise...

In addition, combination with a Takahashi 0,96” diagonal and 0,96” MC orthos is really astounding!

• Phil Barker likes this

#10 Phil Barker

Phil Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:59 PM

Yes re .96 takahashi diagonal interested if I can get one.

One of the adaptors works ok with 1.25 inch ( tiny bit of ducktape and fits beautifully :) ok for now) may settle for a 1.25 inch takahashi prism.

the 2.8mm ortho didn't come with the scope Larry owns that clearly this beauty will handle ridiculous magnisfication from what I've already seen daylight 283 times and a sharp image!    

Just weighed ota 5.2 kg with finder and daigonal not including clamshell.  The end cap weight .5 kg so 4.7 kg without it.

I could rattle on about the finder what a work of art has a recticle and is illuminated.    

In addition, combination with a Takahashi 0,96” diagonal and 0,96” MC orthos is really astounding!

• Marcus Roman likes this

#11 TxStars

TxStars

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:17 PM

I use the Large prism diagonal and swap between the 0.965" and 1-1/4" compression ring adapters and the Tak thread on eyepieces.

The old 0.965 Tak eyepieces provide great views in the fc100 and any other scope.

• Kevin Barker, Phil Barker and Marcus Roman like this

#12 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

• Loc: Auckland, NZ

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:34 PM

Looking at pictures and video's Phil has sent me about this scope in the past day I have to say it looks stunning.

I wonder if this older generation and perhaps the FS series are a little easier on the eye than the current DF, DC and DL fc 100's. Perhaps it is the stockier tube?

I am certainly looking forward to viewing through this scope when I next visit Phil.

Has anyone ever compared the optical performance of one of the vintage fc-100's to the current fc-100 scopes.

I have read somewhere the vintage fc-100 scope's may have used a lead based flint glass to match the fluorite.

Would this lead to better chromatic or spherical correction??

My guess is they are all consistently excellent. The only scope that I have seen tested by an interferometer was in an astromart ad and it showed a Strehl around 93% but this scope was one of the very earliest fc-100's.

• Phil Barker likes this

#13 Phil Barker

Phil Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:07 PM

had a first light lived up expectations.  very sharp no false colour on sirius could only go up to 133 x with 6mm but lets just say I've now seen perfection.  Eta carina at 23 x was amazing using a 35mm ultima.  The .965 orthos both went well its 9mm and 18mm I have..

looked at m46 and planetary very obvious.  got glimpse of 6th star in trapezium also I can see a purchase of a 3 and 4mm eyepiece coming up.

Attached Thumbnails

• the turret (3).jpg

Edited by Phil Barker, 11 March 2021 - 04:02 AM.

• Eric P, Erik Bakker and RAKing like this

#14 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

Posted 11 March 2021 - 09:58 AM

For some reason, these little gems handle higher magnification quite well.  I routinely use 4mm and 3.5mm eyepieces with my FC-100.

Enjoy!

Ron

• Phil Barker likes this

#15 Marcus Roman

Marcus Roman

Ranger 4

Posted 11 March 2021 - 03:55 PM

I tried a MC Ortho 2,8mm on a FC100-N f/10 and the image of Saturn was well sharp and detailed though less bright (at 360x!).... but it was clear to me it would have afforded even higher magnifications had I had a shorter ep!

• Kevin Barker, Phil Barker and JeremySh like this

#16 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 11 March 2021 - 04:14 PM

[....] lets just say I've now seen perfection.  [....]

That bow.gif bow.gif

• Kevin Barker likes this

#17 ris242

ris242

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Posted 12 March 2021 - 03:20 AM

Is this what you bought from your trademe sales?

#18 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

Posted 14 March 2021 - 01:21 PM

I tried a MC Ortho 2,8mm on a FC100-N f/10 and the image of Saturn was well sharp and detailed though less bright (at 360x!).... but it was clear to me it would have afforded even higher magnifications had I had a shorter ep!

My old APQ100/1000 was like that. On Saturn it took 333 X without appearing to lose any subtle detail when seeing was good. Jupiter was best at 166 X and would go to 200 X in the very best seeing conditions without losing much in the way of fine or subtle detail. It was mesmerising at times. For 10 years it was my main instrument. Friends who observed through it were hard to get away from the eyepiece. I would watch a shadow transit unfold drinking tea over 3-4 hours etc

The contrast per brightness in 100 mm fluorite doublets/triplets is impressive and hard to beat aesthetically. I remember the star images as pure pinpoints with a dark background. I am sure the latest ED doublet scopes can do this too.

In could be argued the wee Takahashi  fluorite doublets are the perfect portable visual instrument. I have only viewed through a FS 102 for a couple of nights and whilst it was excellent my Zeiss was very slightly brighter and a wee bit better on Mars and Jupiter through my biased eyes!!

• Phil Barker and Marcus Roman like this

#19 Phil Barker

Phil Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 March 2021 - 08:21 PM

Is this what you bought from your trademe sales?

I have a mewlon 180c on order also?   

The Fc100 has superb optics Split sirius easily last night this thing puts so little energy into the rings it isn't hard in good seeing.    works well with 21mm baader hyperion too.  The sharpness and well defined airy discs are very enjoyable.   My old Vixen 115 eds was similar although not quite as sharp.   Sirius has no CA in focus none whatsoever.  Florite has some strange advantage especially in the red part of the spectrum.  Red stars are so vivid in this thing really notice that.

Been using a gso 1.25 dielectric daigonal.    There is quite a bit of field curvature in the scope as there was in the Vixen.   

• Erik Bakker and Marcus Roman like this

#20 Phil Barker

Phil Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 March 2021 - 09:15 PM

My old APQ100/1000 was like that. On Saturn it took 333 X without appearing to lose any subtle detail when seeing was good. Jupiter was best at 166 X and would go to 200 X in the very best seeing conditions without losing much in the way of fine or subtle detail. It was mesmerising at times. For 10 years it was my main instrument. Friends who observed through it were hard to get away from the eyepiece. I would watch a shadow transit unfold drinking tea over 3-4 hours etc

The contrast per brightness in 100 mm fluorite doublets/triplets is impressive and hard to beat aesthetically. I remember the star images as pure pinpoints with a dark background. I am sure the latest ED doublet scopes can do this too.

In could be argued the wee Takahashi  fluorite doublets are the perfect portable visual instrument. I have only viewed through a FS 102 for a couple of nights and whilst it was excellent my Zeiss was very slightly brighter and a wee bit better on Mars and Jupiter through my biased eyes!!

I see youve ordered a tak fc100DZ kev.   That will closely match the old 100/1000 I reakon.  I recall the apq 100 like you say people had to fight to get to the eyepiece.  I showed the wifes grandmother when in her late 70's Saturn at 333 x in that scope in perfect seeing she just couldn't believe it and spent a lot of time looking at it.  She had never even looked in a telescope before.   

• Erik Bakker, RAKing and Kevin Barker like this

#21 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

Posted 15 March 2021 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE;"I see youve ordered a tak fc100DZ kev"

SSSShhh Phil, I was keeping it quiet. The cat is out of the bag now.

• Phil Barker likes this

#22 TxStars

TxStars

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 March 2021 - 10:06 PM

Don't worry the clouds are all ready on the way..storm.gif

• Kevin Barker and Stopforths like this

#23 Stopforths

Stopforths

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 March 2021 - 02:44 PM

The vintage FC100  was put through its paces on an Heq5 and thats my favorite setup I have to say.  Went very well.  excellent views with several wider field eyepieces ie

9mm type 6 nagler

21mm hyperion

16mm uwan

overall weight with daigonal finder tube holder and dovetail is just under 7 kg.

If the house was on fire I'd take that nagler with me on the way out  its a whisker better than the other 2.  Very sharp very good contrast etc.

I noticed a bit of field curvature the other day with a 35mm ultima but not with the 3 above very nice views to be had.

Phil B 

• Kevin Barker likes this

#24 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

Posted 18 March 2021 - 01:48 AM

I like Phil's venerable old HEQ 5 mount. It works well if the polar alignment is roughly South.

The Picture is of my APQ 130/1000. On a simple GEM with a RA drive. The scope has a good finder and all ones needs is a decent star map. This scope is rather large, the ota is around the 10/11 kg mark with a prism etc

I also use a couple of GOTO mounts with some scopes but if I am honest I prefer a simple mount that does not beep too much and can be pointed here and there etc without reading a screen.

IMG_1082.jpg

Edited by Kevin Barker, 18 March 2021 - 01:50 AM.

• daquad and Stopforths like this

#25 Stopforths

Stopforths

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 March 2021 - 06:14 PM

finally had a chance to give the old Takahashi a workout on Jupiter.   Very very sharp etching line image only went to 180 x using a televue plossl and barlow and seeing not perfect but showing real potential.  Tried to split Antares and only got glimpses of the secondary.  Seems a bit closer than a couple of decades ago just outside the first diffraction ring.  In good air be good to see if it be seen constantly as overhead here in New Zealand.

Using it on the old eq5 mount I have which works fine.

Saturn nice but begging for more power will need eyepiece in the 2-3mm range for that given its location high in the sky here.

• Kevin Barker and Marcus Roman like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics