•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sw bk 80/400 as finder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ftraw

Ftraw

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:51 AM

Hello this is my first post on this forum. I'm from Poland so if i'll make some language mistakes please correct me :) Just like on topic. Has anyone used refraktor sw 80/400 as a finder with big newton 10/12"?? I'm quite dissapointed with 50mm finder so i'm trying to get something bigger. Svbony 60/240 or sw bk 80/400. Thanks and regards.

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 09 March 2021 - 05:14 AM

Ftraw:

Hello and :welcome: to Cloudy Nights.

First a question:  Why are you disappointed with the 50mm finder?  Normally you should know expect to see the DSO you are looking for in the finder.  

People do use 80mm F/5s as finders.  The field of view will be narrower and balancing the scope can be a big challenge, particularly with a Dobsonian.

Jon

#3 Ftraw

Ftraw

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 05:30 AM

Dissapointed with a Field od view. I'm begginer and not quite experienced with star hoppig so i'm always loosing to much time for searching galaxies i want to see. Sw 80/400 should show more than 50.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 09 March 2021 - 07:09 AM

Dissapointed with a Field od view. I'm begginer and not quite experienced with star hoppig so i'm always loosing to much time for searching galaxies i want to see. Sw 80/400 should show more than 50.

So when you say you are disappointed with the field of view, do you mean, it's too narrow or that you do not see enough stars?

For galaxies, very few will be visible in an 80mm F/5, learning to star hop is an important skill.   This is what I find most effective for star hopping:

- A red dot finder or a Telrad.  These allow me to point the scope to the first star I have chosen.

- A 50mm Right Angle Correct Image finder.  This is the main tool, I use Sky Safari Pro for my charts, I position the scope based on the star field.

- A 2 inch ~30mm wide field eyepiece. This serves as finder eyepiece and allows me to star hopping in the main eyepiece of the telescope

Jon

• cookjaiii and astrocanito like this

#5 Ftraw

Ftraw

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 March 2021 - 07:50 AM

Both of them. Too narrow and cant see enough i think.

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 10 March 2021 - 03:45 AM

Both of them. Too narrow and cant see enough i think

Larger apertures mean narrow fields of view.  Star hopping takes practice.  Having good finders is important but patience and perseverance are necessary. There is a learning curve. 

Mapping out a route from an easily identifiable star to the the star field with the object is the first step.

Jon 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics