•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moon in color 2020-02-20

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 12 March 2021 - 02:13 PM

Mare Australe seen as a group of darker patches near the edge of the Moon's disc. The first of them with a distinct edge and elliptical shape is the Oken crater.

51030732142_ae8fdaa109_o_d.jpg

SW 120ED + ZWO ASI 178 MC.

Edited by LukaszLu, 12 March 2021 - 07:40 PM.

• Kenny V., jim kuhns, photomagica and 13 others like this

#2 alvarete

alvarete

Messenger

Posted 12 March 2021 - 02:32 PM

Wanderfull shot Lukasz. I like colours and sharpness
  • LukaszLu likes this

#3 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 March 2021 - 04:55 PM

Thanks, the color is a bit like the effects achieved by Apollo crews with an analog Hasselblad camera. It may not be fully contrasting, but those old photos were also like that - I thought it had its charm :-)

#4 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 March 2021 - 06:23 PM

Spectacular, especially at the preview resolution.

#5 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 March 2021 - 06:51 PM

Thank you Borodog! What you see as a preview depends on your screen resolution and web browser rendering engine. Choosing the right resolution for an image is always a difficult decision for me. It is obvious that the more we reduce the size of the picture, the apparently sharper the details and the less visible grain. On the other hand, in such a process, you can easily lose small details - and after all, they are what we hunt with our cameras ...

• Borodog likes this

#6 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 March 2021 - 10:43 AM

I don’t mind a bit of grain. Gives it a photographic feel that I like aesthetically. But noise aside, I find myself more and more tending to like a sharper presentation over a larger format one that may make the smallest details easier to see. But this is probably because my highest resolution attempts to date have been disappointing.

#7 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 March 2021 - 02:55 PM

Balancing this is really hard. Usually I make several versions of which I try to choose the optimal one in terms of size / resolution and, frankly speaking, it is often the case that repeating this comparison the next day gives completely different results :-)

• Borodog and licho52 like this

#8 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 March 2021 - 04:57 PM

Balancing this is really hard. Usually I make several versions of which I try to choose the optimal one in terms of size / resolution and, frankly speaking, it is often the case that repeating this comparison the next day gives completely different results :-)

Don't I know it. I have tried to implement a "fire and forget" policy to minimize endless fiddling. But then I still fail at said policy.

#9 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 March 2021 - 06:56 AM

I have recently had the biggest problems with the correct brightness setting during processing. I try to take pictures in such a way so as not to burn through the brightest details with white, but because the brightest ones are much brighter than the rest, the rest is squeezed into a rather narrow tonal range in such a situation. If you want to restore the appropriate brightness during processing, it is very easy to lose the detail in the brightest parts. It is like in the case of sharpening and grain - the constant Fight Between Carnival and Lent ... :-)

Another attempt to break out of these dilemmas. Mare Imbrium with three spectacular mountain ranges surrounding it. Plato and Eratosthenes emerging from the shadow on the terminator's line...

51045973607_e13b976cc9_o_d.jpg

• Kenny V., John_Moore, ponybird and 1 other like this

#10 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 March 2021 - 08:13 AM

Excellent. I have said before that no photograph can capture what your eye sees in the telescope, mostly because of the fantastic dynamic range compression your eye can do without any apparent loss of color resolution. Hence the Moon is fantastically bright nearly to the terminator with no apparent loss of detail. I wish I could produce an image of what I see, but I can’t, mainly because of the limited color resolution of my displays.

#11 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 March 2021 - 09:03 AM

Thank you. Color is the next big question about the Moon. What is the true color of the moon? Is this the color we see in the photos from Apollo? Or maybe what the modern Japanese Kaguya has shown? The question is all the more bothering as the camera gives an almost monochrome image and during processing everyone faces a dilemma: which direction to go ...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics