•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Circle K on focuser-

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 kowen

kowen

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:52 PM

Just a question,

I noticed a telescope on Ebay, http://tinyurl.com/rcxd7
and it has a circle K on the focuser, it's made in Japan. I'm not going to bid on it but just wondering does that mean it could be from Kokusai Kohki?? Just thought I'd ask the experts here, it kind of resembles a Pentax(?). It does have a ep tube with 15x-60x stops on it. Any info is appreciated, I have nothing to do with this telescope-owner, listing or otherwise, I did write to ask what was the letter on the focuser though.
Regards,

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:55 PM

Your link does not work

#3 kowen

kowen

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:01 PM

Post deleted by kowen

#4 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:05 PM

still doesn't work

Please fix or remove it.

#5 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:15 PM

I think this is the link :

http://cgi.liveaucti...em=300023458273

MikeG

#6 kowen

kowen

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:21 PM

Not a "he", I edited the first post, sorry for the trouble...

Here is the link again:

http://tinyurl.com/rcxd7

#7 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:43 PM

Not a "he", I edited the first post, sorry for the trouble...

Here is the link again:

My bad! Sorry. And I didn't even notice you were from SE Louisiana too! Boy, my head was in the clouds.

Greetings from Houma.

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

#8 kowen

kowen

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:53 PM

Greetings from the big town of Cut Off, Mike. That's okay, I should add my middle name (or just use it) Elizabeth...Getting plenty mosquitoes? I know we are...:smash:

#9 hub

hub

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:06 PM

Hi Kerry,
I've been told that the Company now known as Vixen used the Circle K logo until the late 1960's. I'm not 100 percent sure, but I believe the circle K on this scope probably indicates that it was made by Vixen before it was called Vixen.
I had a very nice 60mm scope in the mid 1960's with the circle K engraved on the focuser. From what I've been able to find out, it probably was a Vixen. Anyway, the shape of focuser and knobs on the one you're looking at appear identical to the one I had, although mine used interchangeable eyepieces rather than a fixed zoom eyepiece.
There a some very knowledgeable people on this forum who may be able to give you more and probably better information, but that's my guess.

John

#10 kowen

kowen

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:34 PM

John,

I thought I might have read the same thing about Vixen somewhere, could have been here-someone describing a telescope in their collection and talking about the circle K logo, and also dropping in Vixen's name, now that you mention that. Barry Simon and others might know for sure. Another thin, the owner said her brother said the wooden legs look like teak or mahogany, but I'd think mahogany is kind of soft for that.

I appreciate the information, thank you.

Clear skies,

#11 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:58 PM

Just to be in poor taste- auction ends on Sept.11- winner can justifiably refer to it as their 'terror'scope.

Jess Tauber

#12 tybee

tybee

Ranger 4

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:39 PM

I've got a little Tasco 4VTE that has a similar clickstop zoom on it. The knurling on the collar, the focus knobs and the rack mechanism look identical and mine has a Japan circle K logo on it as well as the Tasco name. The yoke mounting and the objective cell look similar as well. My click stop is the opposite of this one however as my lowest magnification is with the clickstop all the way out.

#13 hub

hub

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:30 PM

Hi Kerry,

I've seen quite of few Japanese made scopes from the 1960's and 70's that used Phillipine Mahogony (Luan) for the tripod legs. That's likely the wood that makes up the legs on the scope yoy've been looking at. Up until recently it was a very common and economical wood. It seems to be getting harder to find. I've used it myself to make tripod legs as it has some good physical qualities and can look really nice when varnished.

John

John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics