I actually don't have a mount for every scope, and not every mount has a tripod. So I do a lot of inter-mixing of scopes, mounts, and tripods.
It's almost funny, it seems like the last few scopes I've purchased, they were missing their tripods.
What do they do with them? (make lamps? )
ate my own post it seems... round 2
I've made some Observing Tables from newer Alu tripods - those shaky ones, but never classics. MDF Table top w/ flush blindnut on top, 2nd disc, notched for legs @ 120° below - where original tray / spreader was, fat washer, fat knob below that, 0.5" / 12mm allthread down the center, cinch. Tight, stable, portable, cut-outs where you like.
Bestie Classics keep their mounts / tripods if they arrive with them or I otherwise have them. Sybs 'disappears' Bestie sets to LTS for safekeeping. Besties waiting a mount/tripod or OTA go to local storage / shop.
Non-Bestie - think "not RAO, CoC, etc, & not Unitron & up" OTAs get generally racked or shelved, their rings or cradles purloined & non-destructively mated to dovetails. Really functional mounts (not so common) get non-destructive adapter plates & Vixen Clamps. All other mounts / tripods get wrapped, stacked on shelves, or packed in boxes/tubs/crates - I have not sold nor thrown away a single one yet - always hope.
What we use frequently, now:
x 2 - 1st was mount only. Got the second as mount & tripod, don't remember what they were supposed to belong to. Matched legs for 1st from 2nd. They're both buttery, smooth, tight, stable.
- CG-4 x 2 (3rd, spare, in local storage/shop) Reliable.
- Meade 395 w/ adapter plate and vixen clamp - it has an identical sibling, sibling is no match
- Meade 1 arm x 2 - tracking - very useful side-by side comparisons on specific targets, light
- Celes 1 arm x 2 - same as Meade above
I seldom setup only one scope or mount, unless it's a rush night due to weather; I have my tasks & Sybs hers. Even if only one of us is out there, if you're going to do visual, try grab some images or vice versa.
When we're done fuddling, testing, learning and are finally doing serious viewing & imaging at the homesite, where the seeing and no LP warrants the end game stuff, mounts should downsize to:
- 1 60~100lb EQ - someone is looking at 12" imaging 'stuff' - !?what the devil?! - this would go on a railed trolley cart, like the big Dobs & the 1948. I hope this could be covered by a G-11, but I don't want to hear "I need a bigger mount, Dear..." a week after I set it up. And yes, she would do... If she finds happiness with her 130 APO, a ~40lb EQ or Hybrid should do.
- 1 or 2 40lb Hybrids or 1 40lb, 1 30lb - these are real base coverers - EQ / AltAz / Visual / Imaging
- 1 or 2 CG-4 - just reliable, dependable goodness
- 1 or both of the 'unknowns' - classic & very pleasurable to use
- 1 LX65-class 2 scope grab-n-go, for quick "over the ridge" jaunts
That list could be trimmed to just the Hybrid(s), CG4(s) and Unknown(s) and I'd still smile, because the Besties will come visit from LTS as well - but will I be less clumsy then?
Edited by AstroKerr, 16 March 2021 - 07:18 PM.