•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The 2021 Stellafane Convention

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 16 March 2021 - 04:01 PM

The 2021 Stellafane Convention is planned for August 5-8, 2021.

They say, “You should expect that convention will different from past years. It is likely that attendance will be limited to prevent overcrowding (think back to the pre-1985 days before we owned Stellafane East). That also means everyone, including children and infants, will have to register in advance with required contact tracing information for each attendee; there will be no 'walk in' admissions the days of the event. Event food service businesses have been impacted by the pandemic, and many are out of business; we do know that food service at convention will be more limited this year than in recent past.” 

More info is on the Stellafane.org site.

• tim53, steve t, Marc-Andre and 2 others like this

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 16 March 2021 - 04:13 PM

You can count me out! I'm not interested in going to a sad husk that merely resembles the convention without even a semblance of normalcy, especially given how many people will be vaccinated at that point. I'll make a donation in lieu of attending I guess.

Edited by Augustus, 16 March 2021 - 04:14 PM.

• RichA, Terra Nova, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#3 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 16 March 2021 - 04:46 PM

I'm in. I believe it will be almost normal by then.

Peter

• tim53, Dave Trott, Marc-Andre and 4 others like this

#4 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

Posted 16 March 2021 - 04:56 PM

I'm in. I believe it will be almost normal by then.
Peter

It seems the Stellafane organizers do not share your sentiment. If you’re right and it is “normal” I am going to go but the tone of their statement wasn’t encouraging. I hope I’m wrong, I really do.

Edited by Augustus, 16 March 2021 - 04:58 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#5 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 16 March 2021 - 06:09 PM

I’m fully vaxed but not excited about wearing a mask the whole time. I’m gonna wait a while before I make my decision but I’m leaning toward sitting this year out and waiting for 2022.

• rcwolpert, TOM KIEHL, GreyDay and 2 others like this

#6 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 16 March 2021 - 06:12 PM

It seems the Stellafane organizers do not share your sentiment. If you’re right and it is “normal” I am going to go but the tone of their statement wasn’t encouraging. I hope I’m wrong, I really do.

I agree with Zane. I got the e-mail today as well and it was a downer.

• Marc-Andre, rcwolpert, TOM KIEHL and 1 other like this

#7 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:00 PM

I agree with Zane. I got the e-mail today as well and it was a downer.

Regardless of anyone’s personal opinion of what the world will be like in August, I don’t get the point of making any announcements this early beside the fact that the convention is still planned to go on. There are just so many unknowns and to already be constraining it into something that’s... honestly not worth going to for many people seems rather pessimistic and not a great way to conduct affairs.

#8 RichA

RichA

Gemini

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:02 PM

I’m fully vaxed but not excited about wearing a mask the whole time. I’m gonna wait a while before I make my decision but I’m leaning toward sitting this year out and waiting for 2022.

Touching eyepieces, side by side at talks, etc.  Some will be  paranoid about letting people looking through their equipmentl

#9 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:14 PM

The 2021 Stellafane Convention is planned for August 5-8, 2021.

They say, “You should expect that convention will different from past years. It is likely that attendance will be limited to prevent overcrowding (think back to the pre-1985 days before we owned Stellafane East). That also means everyone, including children and infants, will have to register in advance with required contact tracing information for each attendee; there will be no 'walk in' admissions the days of the event. Event food service businesses have been impacted by the pandemic, and many are out of business; we do know that food service at convention will be more limited this year than in recent past.” 

More info is on the Stellafane.org site.

I was hoping last year would be my first trip to Stellafane but now I think I'll wait until 2021.

#10 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:39 PM

You have to understand that there are  many things that are not under the control of the Springfield Telescope Maker. Some of the major ones  are decided by the state and local governments. So we are doing our best to put on the Convention with what we know now and to do it safely for all. We also need to be sure that we make enough money to cover our costs and have enough to put on the convention for next year. Planning for each years convention starts in Oct and it takes many months of work  to put on the Convention.  Because of Covid19 club members have not be able to travel to Vermont to help to start to prepare and Vermont is just starting to open up so we are doing our best in a reduced time frame to prepare. Another issues is some of the vendors are no longer in business and/or have reducers their services.  For example the Hartness House which many stayed at is now closed.  

The good news is that there will be a Stellafane Convention this year. 

- Dave 

• tim53, pbealo, astro140 and 6 others like this

#11 godelescher

godelescher

Mariner 2

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:47 PM

You have to understand that there are  many things that are not under the control of the Springfield Telescope Maker. Some of the major ones  are decided by the state and local governments. So we are doing our best to put on the Convention with what we know now and to do it safely for all. We also need to be sure that we make enough money to cover our costs and have enough to put on the convention for next year. Planning for each years convention starts in Oct and it takes many months of work  to put on the Convention.  Because of Covid19 club members have not be able to travel to Vermont to help to start to prepare and Vermont is just starting to open up so we are doing our best in a reduced time frame to prepare. Another issues is some of the vendors are no longer in business and/or have reducers their services.  For example the Hartness House which many stayed at is now closed.  

The good news is that there will be a Stellafane Convention this year. 

- Dave 

If you didn't read the above paragraph, I strongly suggest you do. They're doing everything in their power to give you what you want. The times are what they are. I suggest supporting them instead of complaining.

• pbealo, steve t, rcwolpert and 3 others like this

#12 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:23 PM

I'd really like to go again this year, but may be overwhelmed, still, with two rovers and a helicopter on Mars to support.  smile.gif

If I can get the time, I'd like to drive again.

• DreamWeaver, steve t, Marc-Andre and 5 others like this

#13 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 17 March 2021 - 08:16 AM

I'd really like to go again this year, but may be overwhelmed, still, with two rovers and a helicopter on Mars to support.  smile.gif

If I can get the time, I'd like to drive again.

I love the drive up. Especially US-20 all the way across upstate NY along the north end of the Finger Lakes from Buffalo to Schenectady and then Hwy 7 up to Bennington. I take a couple of days and avoid the Interstates from Cleveland on. It’s a wonderful drive!

• steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#14 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

Posted 17 March 2021 - 11:23 AM

Please keep in mind that members of the Springfield Telescope Makers have the  same concerns for their health as many of the people that attend the convention.  Our club is not made up of people in their 20's that if they get Covid19 it would  be a minor issue, for some of our club members it could be very much worse.  We all volunteer our time to put on the Convention and some members may not come because of health concerns. So we maybe limited in our man power. No one gets paid and many take off two weeks  from work before the convention to come to Stellafane  for the major push to get things ready.  As I said preparation usually start in Oct to put on the convention and  under normal conditions each year has it's challenges. For example just lining  up the food service that can feed around 1000 people three meals a day  for three days  and making sure that they won't back out at the last minute, is a challenge.  After 2020 many of these business have gone under.  We need to have a security service, and Porta potties and a bus service. There are acres of grass that needs to be cut and the camping area prepared. It takes a small army of volunteers to get all this done . We are happy to do it each year but I can tell you at the end of the convention we are all dead tired.  It is work for us so other can enjoy themselves.  So please understand we are doing our best under these unique conditions.  It will be different but I look forward to seeing many of you on the Hill this year. 

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 17 March 2021 - 12:19 PM.

• Joe Bergeron, davidmcgo, tim53 and 9 others like this

#15 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 17 March 2021 - 01:02 PM

It is okay to play it by ear.......Hope for the best and wait and see.....But I want to go......

It might be somewhat different  or markedly different but I still would like to go...

In 2019 I only brought  binoculars  and I had so many opportunities to observe with folks and observe through many great scopes..... that might be way different this year.   I will be  bringing a scope or two... and  I can see  a place  for   something like the Revolution Imager system perhaps even with a slightly larger screen so no one looks in an eyepiece...I bought it with Covid outreach in mind anyway...If I could only figure out how all these settings work? 

I also love car trips   but for me in South West Connecticut  it is easy... got an issue   drive 3.00 plus hours home. Others can't really do that.

Vaccinations  R  us.....I had shot one Sunday. Shot two coming the day after Easter. Many folks of  a certain age will be vaccinated, so there is that....But I will still sleep with one eye open concerning the pandemic. I don't trust Covid 19. We should still be ever vigilant. 

Respect everyone's preferences.... Yes  we can do that.  It will be a smaller event inevitably based on some folks   near and far taking a pass this year. We all can respect that view.  I would think it will be better than   a Zoom NEAF, which as was pointed out might be more about advertising than previous Neafs

Finally, I hope the organizers can make it happen and I respect whatever decisions they make. Augustus makes a good point about making a donation for the future good of the convention if one cannot attend. I myself would even volunteer as a helper if needed. And thanks to all those who work to make it happen each year....

Attached Thumbnails

• stellafane5IMG_3691.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 17 March 2021 - 04:32 PM.

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

#16 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 17 March 2021 - 01:09 PM

Dave,

As a long time attendee I have the utmost respect for the amount of work STM goes through in preparing for Stellafane and making it all happen.

For me, I'd be happy if you just opened the gate and let us camp, maybe have a few talks in the pavillion. If I know no food is available, I'd bring a coffee pot, Coleman stove and a cooler. Whatever is "lacking" will be more than made up for by helping us all just get out of our quarantine!! All I "expect" is good communication of conditions before we arrive so we can plan for them.

Many moons ago, prior to me becoming an ATMoB member in 1980, I understand ATMoB played a role in preparing and working the convention. Perhaps STM should consider reaching out to ATMoB and other "local" clubs to see if a small army could be rallied to help?? A rabble army, but an army nonetheless! Just a thought.

Peter

• tim53, steve t, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#17 rguasto

rguasto

Apollo

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 17 March 2021 - 01:54 PM

It is okay to play it by ear.......Hope for the best and wait and see.....But I want to go......
It might be somewhat different or markedly different but I still would like to go...

In 2019 I only brought binoculars and I had so many opportunities to observe with folks and observe through many great scopes..... that might be way different this year. I will be bringing a scope or two... and I can see a place for something like the Revolution Imager system perhaps even with a slightly larger screen so no ones looks in an eyepiece...I bought it with Covid outreach in mind anyway...If I could only figure out how all these settings work?

I also love car trips but for me in South West Connecticut it is easy... got an issue drive 3.00 plus hours home. Others can't really do that.

Vaccinations R us.....I had shot one Sunday. Shot two coming the day after Easter. Many folks of a certain age will be vaccinated, so there is that....But I will still sleep with one eye open concerning the pandemic. I don't trust Covid 19. We should still be ever vigilant.

Respect everyone's preferences.... Yes we can do that. It will be a smaller event inevitably based on some folks near and far taking a pass this year. We all can respect that view. I would think it will be better than a Zoom NEAF, which as was pointed out might be more about advertising than previous Neafs

Finally, I hope they organizers can make it happen and I respect whatever decisions they make. Augustus makes a good point about making a donation for the future good of the convention if one cannot attend. I myself would even volunteer as a helper if needed. And thanks to all those who work to make it happen each year....

https://www.cloudyni...-1616003998.jpg
Hey!
I took that picture of you! I remember asking if you'd stand next to the dob so there was a sense of how tall it was and you replied "only if you send me a copy", which I did via text.

-Rob

Edited by rguasto, 17 March 2021 - 01:57 PM.

• steve t, deepwoods1, Augustus and 2 others like this

#18 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

Posted 17 March 2021 - 03:19 PM

Each Stellafane is different. Anyone who has come has memories of the experience. I remember the hot ones and cold ones, the rainy ones and clear ones. The year I met Alan Bean of the 4th Man to walk on the Moon. The year Clyde Tombaugh came. My first when I  was 17 and the telescope I made. won a 1st. My Dad said it looks like I just might have what it take to be engineer like him. In  2019 I won a bag full of Televue eyepiece with only buying  $5 in raffle tickets. First light in the  spectrohelioscope I helped restore.  The years I meet  our Augustus (Zane) and gave him 6" mirror blank that start his path in telescope making.  So yes this year will be different but it doesn't mean it will be bad and maybe just maybe like myself you'll  have memories that will last a life time.  Hope to see you on the hill, mask and all !

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 17 March 2021 - 03:21 PM.

• tim53, steve t, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#19 rguasto

rguasto

Apollo

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 17 March 2021 - 04:16 PM

I'm glad they are strongly considering holding it this year, but stellafane with a mask and social distancing is not very appealing to me. There's no way I would attend.
We will see how lax state and CDC guidelines are in august. I'm not too optimistic though. A few days observing at cherry springs is more likely for me.

-Rob

Edited by rguasto, 17 March 2021 - 04:17 PM.

• steve t and Augustus like this

#20 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

Posted 17 March 2021 - 04:38 PM

Dave,

As a long time attendee I have the utmost respect for the amount of work STM goes through in preparing for Stellafane and making it all happen.

For me, I'd be happy if you just opened the gate and let us camp, maybe have a few talks in the pavillion. If I know no food is available, I'd bring a coffee pot, Coleman stove and a cooler. Whatever is "lacking" will be more than made up for by helping us all just get out of our quarantine!! All I "expect" is good communication of conditions before we arrive so we can plan for them.

Many moons ago, prior to me becoming an ATMoB member in 1980, I understand ATMoB played a role in preparing and working the convention. Perhaps STM should consider reaching out to ATMoB and other "local" clubs to see if a small army could be rallied to help?? A rabble army, but an army nonetheless! Just a thought.

Peter

Right     if must needs be   folks can bring what they require...Bring some supplies and  a way to make coffee in the morning and I would be good.  Heck  I could stand a couple of days of reduced calorie intake. I would volunteer as  a worker bee  in Peter's platoon in a New York minute.

• pbealo and steve t like this

#21 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 17 March 2021 - 07:24 PM

Our Plan is to stay put until all health orders are lifted. We have only one chance to get this right. As our local group becomes vaccinated we plan on using our time to get ready to welcome visitors back to our observatory. I almost lost my dear wife of 37 years last year, I’m doing everything that I can to keep her safe, including not bringing this thing home with me.

This will pass...

• tim53, godelescher, steve t and 5 others like this

#22 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 08:16 PM

Each Stellafane is different. Anyone who has come has memories of the experience. I remember the hot ones and cold ones, the rainy ones and clear ones. The year I met Alan Bean of the 4th Man to walk on the Moon. The year Clyde Tombaugh came. My first when I  was 17 and the telescope I made. won a 1st. My Dad said it looks like I just might have what it take to be engineer like him. In  2019 I won a bag full of Televue eyepiece with only buying  $5 in raffle tickets. First light in the  spectrohelioscope I helped restore.  The years I meet  our Augustus (Zane) and gave him 6" mirror blank that start his path in telescope making.  So yes this year will be different but it doesn't mean it will be bad and maybe just maybe like myself you'll  have memories that will last a life time.  Hope to see you on the hill, mask and all !

- Dave 

I still have the poster that Clyde Tombaugh signed for my wife and me. I also remember going up to spend a Saturday on a work detail when the new site was being cleared. Left my umbrella at the little restaurant in the strip mall. Six months later I went back for another work day, and the umbrella was still on the hat stand. 

Chip W. 

• steve t, Marc-Andre, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#23 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 17 March 2021 - 08:26 PM

I’ve got the same poster signed by Clyde Tombaugh when he was sitting in the club house with his wife. It was quite an honor to talk with him and get that poster.

• photiost, steve t, Marc-Andre and 3 others like this

#24 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 08:49 PM

Out of the blue, yesterday, my wife said she wanted to go to Stellafane this year. I had not brought this up. She happened to be looking at an ad for a fancy tent with a dog vestibule (we do need a new tent), and asked me if I knew anything about the convention this year. When I said it was on, but with limited attendance, she told me to sign us up. We haven't been there together in over 25 years. So maybe we'll be going if we can get a spot. 

Chip W. 

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#25 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

Posted 25 March 2021 - 08:55 PM

Good new Chip......

I need a tent as well

I would love to get Diane to come    It would take more than a new tent I'm afraid. I thought I could get a nice room at a decent place and she could come for a while then go back to the room after some observing.....maybe not this year.....

I still would like to go   hope to see folks there

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics