•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

BB's Jaegers Classic Refractors Duo-Scope

Classic ATM DIY Equipment Optics Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:23 PM

Terra, did you put any kind of coating / sealant on the tubes?  Humidity down here is rough on some bare metals -- I'm constantly cleaning / polishing steel counterweight shafts.

• Terra Nova likes this

#52 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:31 PM

Terra, did you put any kind of coating / sealant on the tubes?  Humidity down here is rough on some bare metals -- I'm constantly cleaning / polishing steel counterweight shafts.

No, I’ve not had any problem with any of my bare aluminum stuff. It looses a little luster over time but it can easily be buffed up. No real corrosion to speak of. Did you know that Alvan Clark and Sons produced some bare aluminum tube scopes in later years? We have a 3” F12 in the collection at the Cincinnati Observatory.

Edited by Terra Nova, 29 April 2021 - 04:33 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#53 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:57 PM

I also gave away the fairly rare,1940s Professional Jr. newsreel camera tripod they’re sitting on.

Aaahhhhh!  BUT... It was So Cool.

• Terra Nova likes this

#54 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:46 AM

I also gave away the fairly rare,1940s Professional Jr. newsreel camera tripod they’re sitting on.

Aaahhhhh!  BUT... It was So Cool.

And it was So Heavy! :lol:

#55 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:28 AM

...just 2 cents worth on buffed/polished aluminium: polished ally forms a clear coat of Al2O3 (Alum. oxide) almost instantaneously in air, this makes the surface almost impervious to further oxidation & allows it to retain a polished effect in most situations.

I have created several sculptural pieces over the years where I have polished aluminium (aluminum to you folks smile.gif ) & one piece was on public display in the city centre for a number of years & has now resided at our home little more than a stone's throw from the beach for over a decade...& the surface is still highly lustrous. waytogo.gif

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#56 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 30 April 2021 - 02:51 PM

I think it depends on the make up of the aluminum. Most of the aluminum on my motorcycles will oxidize and dull fairly quick if not regularly polished. Even if they just sit and are covered. On the other hand my Jaegers 4" tube seems to hold up pretty well. It's never been highly polished but it stays rather bright without more then a wipe down every decade or so grin.gif. I once thought I would paint it, but now....never!

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#57 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 30 April 2021 - 03:31 PM

I think it depends on the make up of the aluminum. Most of the aluminum on my motorcycles will oxidize and dull fairly quick if not regularly polished. Even if they just sit and are covered. On the other hand my Jaegers 4" tube seems to hold up pretty well. It's never been highly polished but it stays rather bright without more then a wipe down every decade or so grin.gif. I once thought I would paint it, but now....never!

Chris, all commercial/structural grades of aluminum are actually alloys that contain small amounts of other materials. For instance, I like to use 6066-T6 aircraft grade Aluminum. It’s structurally quite strong and resiste corrosion. In addition to Al, it’s other constituents are:

1. 0.9-1.8% Si
  2. 0.5% Fe
  3. 0.7-1.2% Cu
  4. 0.6-1.1% Mn
  5. 0.8-1.4% Mg
  6. 0.4% Cr
  7. 0.25% Zn
  8. 0.2% Ti

It’s also been heat treated and artificially aged to give it added strength and resistance. Composition of Aluminim alloys have changed a bit over the years as well. So that will account for some of the variations we see in its surface appearance. 

Edited by Terra Nova, 30 April 2021 - 03:34 PM.

• rcwolpert, Bomber Bob and Kasmos like this

#58 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2021 - 03:57 PM

The tube is thick-walled aluminum.  It had the ALCOA branding & specs printed on it in light red before I sanded & polished it.  It'll be indoors most of the time, but if it does get dull too often, I'll coat it.

• Terra Nova likes this

#59 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 08 May 2021 - 08:31 AM

Fixed the J50's focuser tube wiggle with a strip of Scotch clear packing tape.  It's much thicker & stiffer than the cheap stuff we use at work.  I cut a 1/2" wide piece that runs the full length of the chrome tube.  Once on, I polished it with several rubs of white Lithium grease, and applied a thin layer to the wall of the crude casting.  Yes, I said crude -- cause it is.  I thought I'd polished out the roughest spots in that hollow, but found that milk-jug plastic "caught" on something in there, and was just too thick.  Now it's smooth & stiff -- but turning the knobs doesn't hurt my fingers!

Mounting Rings:  I don't like having to pad the 60mm hinged ring thingy I got with the Tak SC EQ.  So... I'm gonna carve up a pair of vintage Edmund 50mm finder rings.  Chop the posts way down, thread them to 1/4-20, and screw them into the ends of an 8" black Vixen dovetail.  I'll use 6 grub screws to center the OTA in the rings, and cut any shifting / vibrations.  I'd rather have felt-lined hinged rings, but this tube is an odd size.  This BB solution will definitely look ATM...

• steve t and rcwolpert like this

#60 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 08 May 2021 - 04:27 PM

Okay, I mean it this time!   Jaegers 50 F12 - DONE:

Jaegers 50 Restore S81 - Tubes Rings & Vixen Dovetail (RS FULL).jpg Jaegers 50 Restore S85 - Tubes Rings & Vixen Dovetail (LS FULL).jpg

Jaegers 50 Restore S83 - Tubes Rings & Vixen Dovetail (RS ZOOM).jpg Jaegers 50 Restore S86 - Tubes Rings & Vixen Dovetail (LS ZOOM).jpg

They call me, JW Zeiss...

The Rings + Dovetail:  200mm long - almost 1/3 the OTA length - with cast aluminum rings bolted to it, and a combination of Mc-Carr stainless grub screws & anodized steel knurled bolts, PLUS the scope's thick-walled aluminum tube equals an extremely rigid OTA.

I'd love to use it on the small Edmund EQ that I got from Terra, BUT I don't have a light enough counterweight with the correct bore.  The c/w shaft is long, and I really only need maybe a 2 lb weight on it.  Y'all, it looks Sooooo Good on that mid-60s platform!  I'll make a Beauty Shot later.  I could cheat, and tighten the R/A bolt, and use it without a weight, but I don't want to gouge the shaft.

So for tonight, it'll be back on the VG2... same as last night.

BIF:  I've griped about the Mc-Carr no-rust anodized hardware before.  Now, y'all can see it up close -- and that's after I brushed off the worst of it.  The Swamp claims another victory...

• steve t, Terra Nova, rcwolpert and 3 others like this

#61 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 26 May 2021 - 04:08 PM

Okay, I really mean it this time -- the Jaegers 50 F12 is DONE:

Jaegers 50 Restore S91 - Unitron 60mm Chrome Finder (LS FULL).jpg

Jaegers 50 Restore S93 - Unitron 60mm Chrome Finder (RS FULL).jpg

I'd been on the look-out for one of those chrome Unitron / Nihon-Seiko finders before I called DONE! the last time.  

The Problem:  How do you fit a 16mm Finder in a 35mm Bracket?  I had some scrap chrome-plated brass tubing in the shed, so I made a padded collar for the dinky finder.  FYI:  Those 4 screws on the bracket ring are 1950s Edmund brushed nickel.  It's those Little Touches on a Little Scope that make a big difference (yes, I could'a had a career at Hallmark).

FYI:  This micro-Finder has a very fine etched glass double-line reticle -- yeah, it means business!

Edited by Bomber Bob, 26 May 2021 - 05:54 PM.

• mdowns, rcwolpert, PawPaw and 1 other like this

#62 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 27 May 2021 - 09:47 AM

Okay, I mean it this time!   Jaegers 50 F12 - DONE:

attachicon.gifJaegers 50 Restore S81 - Tubes Rings & Vixen Dovetail (RS FULL).jpgattachicon.gifJaegers 50 Restore S85 - Tubes Rings & Vixen Dovetail (LS FULL).jpg

attachicon.gifJaegers 50 Restore S83 - Tubes Rings & Vixen Dovetail (RS ZOOM).jpgattachicon.gifJaegers 50 Restore S86 - Tubes Rings & Vixen Dovetail (LS ZOOM).jpg

I'd love to use it on the small Edmund EQ that I got from Terra, BUT I don't have a light enough counterweight with the correct bore.  The c/w shaft is long, and I really only need maybe a 2 lb weight on it.  Y'all, it looks Sooooo Good on that mid-60s platform!  I'll make a Beauty Shot later.  I could cheat, and tighten the R/A bolt, and use it without a weight, but I don't want to gouge the shaft.

Looks great! You need to visit your friends at your local machine shop and have them make you some lighter weight Aluminum counterweights. I made 2# and 4# aluminum counterweights for my bigger 1” shaft Jaegers mount. It really helps to have a selection of weights. I keep my Jaegers mount and pedestal and four counterweights of various mass on the covered part of my deck where it’s ready for use with most of my scopes. Here’s the 4 pound Al weight.

Attached Thumbnails

• 70C9B389-01E7-4D3D-95E6-8569E9E2928B.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 27 May 2021 - 09:51 AM.

• rcwolpert and Bomber Bob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Classic, ATM, DIY, Equipment, Optics, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics