•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ranting about USB 3.0 Cables

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#101 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Posted 04 April 2021 - 12:22 AM

I also wish that manufacturers would adopt USB-C for everything. In my experience USB-C has been super reliable, much more so than USB3.

Same. I won't buy another micro usb device, or device with a proprietary cable. Type C can deliver 100W of power and will support USB4 data through at 40Gbit/s, so that standard will cover us for at least another decade.

#102 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Posted 04 April 2021 - 12:36 AM

I agree on this.
Yesterday I have constant focuser disconnect problem. I thought it's USB hub issue and connected power plug to USB hub, problem still there.
I replaced USB 2.0 cable (not even 3.0 one!!!) with 10yr old one that came with printer and connection issues are gone. Dang!
ZWO ones are just a foot while the other one was 6 feet but a foot USB cable cause that much of trouble.
I use Amazon basic USB 3.0 cable for 2600MC and works fine with USB 3.0 hub and downstream.

-Jinux

Those older printer cables are awesome! They actually used full copper cores in their wire strands and not the aluminum with a few microns of copper we see today. They are actually well insulated too and don't use that crappy heat shrink we see that either smothers the cables making it easy to accidentally crimp and bend a wire, or not shrink enough making an air gap between the insulation shrink and wire strands meaning the wires will twist themselves over time.

I've cannibalized a bunch of decades-old year old DB9 serial cables from old Cisco gear and made solid cables. Even made a few short gigabit Cat6 PoE patch cables from 20 year old DB9 cables!

#103 dghent

dghent

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 04 April 2021 - 01:44 AM

Not to be that guy and be the thread's pedant, but this is some common confusion I see so I'll try to help clear it up.

Type-A, -B, and -C (along with Micro-B and Mini-B) refers to connector types, not USB generation.

For example, the presence of a Type-C connector does not automatically imply USB3 or USB3.1. A Type-C connector can also be utilized for USB2 connections and care must be taken to ensure that at cable with Type-C connectors does support being used for USB3 or higher. USB3 and up *does* have its own versions of Type-A and Type-B (and Micro-B) connectors, but Type-C is a connector type that is not readily visually distinguishable between USB2 and USB3.x buses.

Furthermore, the separate USB-PD spec (PD, Power Delivery) specifies the Type-C connector due to the extra physical pins it has that USB-PD uses for power negotiation and capacity.  USB-PD is separate from the main USB specifications, so it is quite possible to have a USB2 connection that uses a Type-C connector and supplies 3A @ 5V.

Yeah it's a confusing world and USB4 won't make it any better. That said, Type-C connectors are absolutely great connector types and mini-B and Micro-B connectors should really just be removed from consideration in any future product, and existing products with those awful connectors should be redone to incorporate the Type-C design.

• jdupton, stargzr66207, ChrisWhite and 2 others like this

#104 Cliff Halliwell

Cliff Halliwell

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:42 AM

And, I am guessing in all of this that (a) shorter runs are better and (b) fewer cables therefore fewer connections for any run length are better.  I am thinking of threading a USB3 cable through my internal pathway on my iOptron CEM40 mount.  Initially I thought maybe a short extension version.  Now I am thinking the full length I need to reach the camera at one end and the laptop nearby.  It will dangle a lot though.  It will eliminate two connector pairs.  

#105 Cliff Halliwell

Cliff Halliwell

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:56 AM

For cable length, there's two considerations - data and power.  For the power leads, yes, resistance can make a difference in longer cables.  The current usage can be pretty high, especially if it's a single cable delivering power to several devices through an unpowered hub.  There's not much room in that cable for heavy gauge wires, so thin wires will definitely cause voltage drops that will increase with length.

For data, the resistance is not much of an issue because the current in use for the data stream is very low.  However, the data rate is very high, which requires high frequency signals going through the wires.  High frequency signals can radiate outward, and can bleed through the capacitance of the cable, both of which create signal loss.  The longer the cable, the more loss there will be.  And the cable also acts like an antenna, so the longer the cable, the more it will pick up electrical interference.

In theory, using the camera's hub for your guide camera and FW data should not be an issue.  But like the cables, it all boils down to how well it's made.  My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the USB 2 hub in the camera is a convenience feature, so they probably don't seek out the best possible components or worry too much about optimum performance.  Probably no different from getting a cheap hub off of Amazon.  

On the other hand, if you're using a quality hub like one from StarTech, or even better, one of the ones provided by Pegasus in their power boxes, you're much more likely to be able to push things to the limit without consequences.  I personally prefer to use a quality hub for cameras, and use the camera-hub only for low data rate things like the FW, focus motor, etc.  But I think it's a try-and-see thing.  Since you're having USB problems, I would definitely try moving the guide camera cable to a quality hub and see if that makes any difference.

-Dan

Yes, I operate under the assumption that powering a USB connection nearest to the power demand (the camera) is best.  That suggests a Kendrick or Pegasus power box near or on the mount.  

• psandelle likes this

#106 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Viking 1

• Loc: Oise, France

Posted 05 April 2021 - 12:45 PM

I just thought of something. On my desktop I can tell the bios to utilize a power savings mode that puts the usb 3 ports to sleep after the computer is inactive for a certain period of time. Additionally, the power mgmt in windows has advanced features that can do similar things. Have you tried checking in the bios and the power mgmt settings? The bios is definitely less obvious of the two

I was having an issue once and someone recommended this to me, it fixed my problem.

• calypsob likes this

#107 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 05 April 2021 - 01:01 PM

I was having an issue once and someone recommended this to me, it fixed my problem.

Yea, my desktop is an HP and they had a bios update where they decided to turn off usb power for you after a period of inactivity.  Took me a while to figure out why my phone would not fully charge overnight when connected to the pc. After some digging I fixed the bios and removed the “helpful” hp update software.

#108 KemalOz

KemalOz

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 April 2021 - 01:50 PM

I haven't read the whole thread so I'm sorry in advance if this was discussed before. 

What are the technical differences between a 20gbps USB 3.2 gen2x2 cable/port and a standard 5gbps usb 3.2 gen1(old USB 3.0, yes these new names doesn't make any sense) or even a usb 2.0 cable/port? Does the USB-C jacks have any advantages to micro usb other than being reversible? 

What's the main difference for cables? Just the wire gauge and internal insulation? 

If the only difference is in the cable, wouldn't it be possible to make a long DIY USB.3.2 gen2x2 cable with a good quality CAT8 cable? and standard USB jacks?

Edited by KemalOz, 05 April 2021 - 01:53 PM.

#109 hmaron

hmaron

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 April 2021 - 02:05 PM

Yea, my desktop is an HP and they had a bios update where they decided to turn off usb power for you after a period of inactivity.  Took me a while to figure out why my phone would not fully charge overnight when connected to the pc. After some digging I fixed the bios and removed the “helpful” hp update software.

Thanks for that little vignette: great example and such an important reminder.  To 99.99% of computer users all of this goes unnoticed. Only astronomers, computer geeks and people involved in automation feel the impact of these bios changes. These changes are not minor. Yet, most don't even know the word "bios". It is particularly noteworthy that changes occur without the users knowledge, let alone consent. I loved your word "helpful" you put in quotes. I'm sure other more colorful words crossed your mind. 

• psandelle, calypsob, stargzr66207 and 1 other like this

#110 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 05 April 2021 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for that little vignette: great example and such an important reminder.  To 99.99% of computer users all of this goes unnoticed. Only astronomers, computer geeks and people involved in automation feel the impact of these bios changes. These changes are not minor. Yet, most don't even know the word "bios". It is particularly noteworthy that changes occur without the users knowledge, let alone consent. I loved your word "helpful" you put in quotes. I'm sure other more colorful words crossed your mind. 

Yea you are right. Words like #@$$%%$%!** and  $#%%%**!!

#111 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:20 PM

Dan,

I think ZWO ASCOM drivers have issues. I used to run ascom drivers for both cameras and had frequent cross-talk issues so I switched to running native for imaging and ascom for guiding. Apparently the ascom driver is having other issues now and causing one of my problems. I have only used the native driver for guiding cam one night, so can't say with certainty it is a solution.

The V2 driver is a feature I have in voyager, I'm not sure if it is something that Leo has included or what.

I'm any event, I'd try native drivers for both and see if that helps.

To be honest, it makes me want to sell the 174 even though I love it and get an X2 so I don't have to deal with this kind of crap. It's really bush league that there are so many driver issues with ZWO. I may even switch to the APX60 later this fall and put all of this bad noise behind me. I guess ZWO has a few months to get everything to stabilize at least for me to stay with the brand.

I have some new information on the driver/usb issues, and a PHD tidbit.  

Since I've been experiencing this, I've been looking through the PHD and SGP log files to see what's going on.  As you mentioned, PHD disconnects from the guide camera multiple times, until at some point when it reconnects, it selects the wrong camera.  Since both PHD and SGP are then trying to communicate with the imaging camera everything goes out to lunch.  So whenever I change anything to run a test, even if I don't get the problem showing up, I look at the PHD log to see if there are disconnects happening.

Drivers & USB

First thing I did was try changing my driver selections.  Using ASCOM on both PHD and SGP was my initial setup and did not work.  I tried ASCOM in SGP and native in PHD - no luck.  Tried the opposite - also no luck.  Note that each test took a night of running to see what the results would be.

At this point I decided to check all my software version.  I had updated recently, but it seems like everything had a minor update available.  I got the latest ASCOM, ZWO native drivers, and ZWO ASCOM drivers and installed them.  I also bought some high quality USB cables from www.usbfirewire.com to replace some questionable ones, especially the ZWO flat cables.  

My next night I was going to try native drivers in both PHD and SGP.  But I could not get that to work at all so I went back to ASCOM in SGP and native in PHD.  That night of imaging was error free!  I've only had that one night so I can't guarantee that the problem is fixed, but there were zero disconnects that night. 

PHD2

Today, I decided to get the latest development version of PHD2 to get the multi-star guiding feature.  On their website, they list the version changes.  One of them was an update to the latest ASI SDK.  So ... the normal, release version of PHD2 apparently has an outdated version of the SDK for ASI cameras!  That certainly could be a factor as well.  Probably won't get a chance to try this soon, but thought I should add this info to the thread.

-Dan

Edited by Midnight Dan, 12 April 2021 - 05:56 PM.

• jdupton, ChrisWhite and Dynan like this

#112 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:51 AM

I have some new information on the driver/usb issues, and a PHD tidbit.  

Since I've been experiencing this, I've been looking through the PHD and SGP log files to see what's going on.  As you mentioned, PHD disconnects from the guide camera multiple times, until at some point when it reconnects, it selects the wrong camera.  Since both PHD and SGP are then trying to communicate with the imaging camera everything goes out to lunch.  So whenever I change anything to run a test, even if I don't get the problem showing up, I look at the PHD log to see if there are disconnects happening.

Drivers & USB

First thing I did was try changing my driver selections.  Using ASCOM on both PHD and SGP was my initial setup and did not work.  I tried ASCOM in SGP and native in PHD - no luck.  Tried the opposite - also no luck.  Note that each test took a night of running to see what the results would be.

At this point I decided to check all my software version.  I had updated recently, but it seems like everything had a minor update available.  I got the latest ASCOM, ZWO native drivers, and ZWO ASCOM drivers and installed them.  I also bought some high quality USB cables from www.usbfirewire.com to replace some questionable ones, especially the ZWO flat cables.  

My next night I was going to try native drivers in both PHD and SGP.  But I could not get that to work at all so I went back to ASCOM in SGP and native in PHD.  That night of imaging was error free!  I've only had that one night so I can't guarantee that the problem is fixed, but there were zero disconnects that night. 

PHD2

Today, I decided to get the latest development version of PHD2 to get the multi-star guiding feature.  On their website, they list the version changes.  One of them was an update to the latest ASI SDK.  So ... the normal, release version of PHD2 apparently has an outdated version of the SDK for ASI cameras!  That certainly could be a factor as well.  Probably won't get a chance to try this soon, but thought I should add this info to the thread.

-Dan

Dan,

After my test a couple weeks ago where I took dark frames all night AND had the guidecamera looping in PHD (with a successful run) I tried imaging the other night and it failed.  I was using Native drivers for both the imaging camera and the guidecamera.  PHD lost the guidecamera (native driver remember) but this time it did not try to "steal" the imaging camera.  Of course, the sequence failed as guiding could not be restarted.  For some reason, the guidecamera loses connection and cannot be reconnected until it is physically unplugged and plugged back in.  At least this time it didnt try to steal the imaging camera causing a failure of imaging in that way.

I am using 2.6.9.dev2 in PHD so I could use MSG.  I just looked up the changelog and see that the newer version, 2.6.9.dev4 was released to accomodate a recent update in ZWO SDK, which I will add... is still not current as ZWO seems to update the SDK constantly.  The current dev build in PHD is good on ZWO SDK V1.16.3, however on ZWO site it looks like a recent update called V1.17 has been released.  I don't know HOW it could be possible for developers to keep up with a constantly evolving SDK and driver-set... no wonder these issues frequent the halls of cloudynights. 

I just purchased an SX guidecamera second hand, which I hope to have in about a week.  I'm going to move on from ZWO for guiding at this time and hope that this will allow me to get some imaging done.  I've lost 5 or 6 nights now due to all of these issues, trying new configurations and softwares, etc...  Really frustrating.

• Dynan likes this

#113 jdupton

jdupton

Gemini

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:13 AM

Chris,

The issue you are having is very puzzling. I wonder if this might be a system problem.

Have you verified that USB Selective Suspend has been disabled on the capture PC? I searched this thread for the terms "selective" and "suspend" and found no hits but it may have been mentioned before anyway. I'm sorry to bring it up if it has already been discussed and dismissed as a possible cause.

You can find the setting in the Windows Power options settings. For Windows 10, you find it by:

• Open Windows Search (button next to Start Button)
  • Search for "choose power plan"
  • Take the link to the Control Panel entry
  • Find the currently selected / active power plan and choose "change plan settings"
  • In the Edit Plan Settings window, choose "change advanced power settings"
  • In the new Power Options dialog that opens, find the "USB Settings" and open it.
  • Open the USB Selective Suspend and make sure it is set as "Disabled"
    If it is Enabled, change it and then press "OK"

It's a long shot that this is causing your issues but is worth checking out just to be sure. 

John

• ChrisWhite and Dynan like this

#114 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:44 PM

Chris,

The issue you are having is very puzzling. I wonder if this might be a system problem.

Have you verified that USB Selective Suspend has been disabled on the capture PC? I searched this thread for the terms "selective" and "suspend" and found no hits but it may have been mentioned before anyway. I'm sorry to bring it up if it has already been discussed and dismissed as a possible cause.

You can find the setting in the Windows Power options settings. For Windows 10, you find it by:

• Find the currently selected / active power plan and choose "change plan settings"
  • In the new Power Options dialog that opens, find the "USB Settings" and open it.

It's a long shot that this is causing your issues but is worth checking out just to be sure. 

John

Thanks John.  I just checked on this setting and it was indeed set to "enabled."  I have disabled it now per your advice.  Fingers are crossed...

#115 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:52 PM

Thanks John.  I just checked on this setting and it was indeed set to "enabled."  I have disabled it now per your advice.  Fingers are crossed...

Hmmm ... I just checked mine and it was also set to "enabled".  My imaging run a couple nights ago had no disconnects so that's probably not it.  But just to cover all the base, I set mine to "disabled" as well.  

-Dan

#116 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:11 PM

Hmmm ... I just checked mine and it was also set to "enabled".  My imaging run a couple nights ago had no disconnects so that's probably not it.  But just to cover all the base, I set mine to "disabled" as well.  

-Dan

I have ZWO logging in with TV to take a look at things.  I actually have two ZWO guidecameras that are not working.  A 290mini that is dead in the water... it will connect but cannot take a capture and disconnects when it attempts to.  And also a 174mini that will connect and then disconnects sometime in the night randomly... which is my current real issue.  Having them take a look at both cameras to see what they can glean.  I think there is a good chance that the 174 is fine, and that it is just a driver or software issue.  Hoping they can run some sort of diagnostics to determine what might be the issue with that. 

• Midnight Dan likes this

#117 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:14 PM

I have ZWO logging in with TV to take a look at things. 

Interesting!  Didn't know they would do that.  Let us know what happens.

-Dan

#118 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:17 PM

-Dan

Will do... hopefully it will happen tonight. 

#119 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2021 - 07:45 AM

Will do... hopefully it will happen tonight. 

Well,  I wish I could say that I had an answer, but ZWO support is not very responsive.  I've been trying for a week to setup a time for them to remote in to take a look at my cameras after they made the offer, but nothing so far...

#120 hmaron

hmaron

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 April 2021 - 11:05 AM

Chris,

John

I'm afraid there are additional steps to change the default settings in which the computer turns off power to the USB devices (hubs specifically)

Start "Device Manager"

Expand Universal Serial Bus

Right click on any instance of "USB.... Hub" and select "Properties"

Go to the "Power Management" tab

Make sure to UNCHECK "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power"

Click "Ok" to close "properties

Repeat for every instance of USB Hubs

Reboot

mceclip1.png

• psandelle, jdupton and Dynan like this

#121 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 April 2021 - 03:51 PM

This was interesting to read through!  Being a former "cable guy", I can definetely confirm that buying usb cables from amazon is a roulette game, even if they got very nice pictures of them.  Also agree, that usb connections for video transfer is one of the worst ideas ever, especially with the growing size of megapixels and high bandwith requirements. 
I made thread not long ago in the beginning imaging regarding usb cables and my own rant and advices.  
For those people claiming that they got a stable connection with usb 2.0, while others with usb3 they got disconnects, that has to do that the usb 2.0 connection can only carry a certain volume of data so it "chops down" and won't even allow because it won't be capable of doing high speed transfer. 
Also the receiving hub on (inside) the pc is quite different for usb 2.0 versus 3.0 .  If you happened to have bad disconnects with usb3, but doing ok with usb2, that means, it's your PC can't handle powering the usb cable. I have a mini PC that I don't use for that very same reason. I knew it right away it won't be able to handle 2 cameras, one with usb 3 througput. , nevermind it's slow as hell and that tiny power supply they jam in there is less than adequiate. They maybe good for reading internet pages and facebook with the ocassional youtube video, but their capabilities are stretched too far to handle high speed encoding/decoding/ receiving/sending. 

As someone who continuosly have issues with 2 ZWOs connected at the same time (it's better to get 2 different brands really) I also replaced my stock zwo cables , due to similar issues the topic starter and while stability improved, driver and software didn't. 
Just a night ago during testing, PHD2 said it's connecting to asi120mini, but in reality it connected to the asi533. Even if it said it was connected to asi120mini!  LOL! 
The only way i knew it was because it was complaining about making new darks and because when i connected to the fake asi533 in Sharpcap,I knew exactly that was my guide camera by just seeing the resolution and of course mono only and not color. 
So just my 2 cents, keep an eye on these things,  sometimes things aren't as they appeared to be, especially of using 2 cameras of the same brand. 

Edited by unimatrix0, 19 April 2021 - 03:56 PM.

• psandelle likes this

#122 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 08:07 AM

-Dan

Well.  ZWO took a look and checked operation of cameras.  No problems they could find.  The 174mini works perfectly.  The 6200 works perfectly.  They didnt really do much other than connect in sharpcap and watch the ZWO debug log.   So no closer to figuring out why there might be a random disconnect.  *sigh*.

I think the right thing to do is not have two ZWO cameras running at the same time.  I have experienced issues with this on and off going back 4 years.  As they come and go, I wonder if they are related to software updates (windows, drivers, ASCOM, whatever...)

This thread has wandered a bit so the title should be changed to "Ranting About Connection Problems" but at least it has touched on most of the potential issues.  In any event, I have a second hand Ultrastar being delivered today to replace the 174 which I sold, and hopefully two different camera brands connected at the same time resolves my issue.   Too bad, I really liked the 174. 

• rockstarbill likes this

#123 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 April 2021 - 01:14 PM

Well.  ZWO took a look and checked operation of cameras.  No problems they could find.  The 174mini works perfectly.  The 6200 works perfectly.  They didnt really do much other than connect in sharpcap and watch the ZWO debug log.   So no closer to figuring out why there might be a random disconnect.  *sigh*.

I think the right thing to do is not have two ZWO cameras running at the same time.  I have experienced issues with this on and off going back 4 years.  As they come and go, I wonder if they are related to software updates (windows, drivers, ASCOM, whatever...)

This thread has wandered a bit so the title should be changed to "Ranting About Connection Problems" but at least it has touched on most of the potential issues.  In any event, I have a second hand Ultrastar being delivered today to replace the 174 which I sold, and hopefully two different camera brands connected at the same time resolves my issue.   Too bad, I really liked the 174. 

Trust me on this I can almost guarantee that your issue stems from running 2 ZWO cameras at the same time.  I know, others claim they got no issues doing this and that's fine. 
I had issues from Day 1, when I purchased another ZWO camera beside my 120 mini and replaced the QHY, I was immediately having issues with connection and dropping frames etc.  No issues before, when I was running the ZWO and QHY at the same time. 
I also have issues connecting the mini guide cam to the hub on the back of the main imaging camera (533) .  That's a no-go, it just doesn't work for me, either cameras or both will immediately start having issues. 
I have to make one note though.  I am running 2 x 50ft  powered USB cables with repeaters built into them.  I could run the entire rig with just one (mount/camera/guide cam/focuser) as this extender connected to a hub and the hub had everything plugged in if I got the QHY main cam + ZWO guide cam connected. 
Now I need 2. I have to have one of the cameras on a separate - also powered/repeater incorporated- USB extender.  One of the cameras, either the guide cam or the main cam must run on its own USB cable to my PC (in the garage). 
By the way, my main rig is previously used as a server and it has plenty of horsepower with the Core i7 and 16GB ram and plenty of USB connectors and 2TB SSD. 

Edited by unimatrix0, 20 April 2021 - 01:18 PM.

#124 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 09:10 PM

Trust me on this I can almost guarantee that your issue stems from running 2 ZWO cameras at the same time.  I know, others claim they got no issues doing this and that's fine. 
I had issues from Day 1, when I purchased another ZWO camera beside my 120 mini and replaced the QHY, I was immediately having issues with connection and dropping frames etc.  No issues before, when I was running the ZWO and QHY at the same time. 
I also have issues connecting the mini guide cam to the hub on the back of the main imaging camera (533) .  That's a no-go, it just doesn't work for me, either cameras or both will immediately start having issues. 
I have to make one note though.  I am running 2 x 50ft  powered USB cables with repeaters built into them.  I could run the entire rig with just one (mount/camera/guide cam/focuser) as this extender connected to a hub and the hub had everything plugged in if I got the QHY main cam + ZWO guide cam connected. 
Now I need 2. I have to have one of the cameras on a separate - also powered/repeater incorporated- USB extender.  One of the cameras, either the guide cam or the main cam must run on its own USB cable to my PC (in the garage). 
By the way, my main rig is previously used as a server and it has plenty of horsepower with the Core i7 and 16GB ram and plenty of USB connectors and 2TB SSD. 

I agree about the the ZWO cameras being an issue for some users.  So much that I purchased an SX guidecamera and sold the 174. 

#125 hmaron

hmaron

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2021 - 10:52 AM

Teach me.

If it is true that using 2 ZWO cameras create failures, is this a driver issue? I don't own any ZWO cameras. But I occasionally operate cameras of the same brand. (In my case it is generally QHY, but also SBIG). These needs/circumstances usually occur by coincidence not by design or choice. So....... is there some added complexity when utilizing cameras concurrently that share the same driver? This is yet another question for Dghent who would most certainly know the answer. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics