•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fun with an astro camera and my son's microscope

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Borodog

Borodog

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2021 - 06:16 PM

For his 10th birthday my son got a very nice binocular microscope with removable eyepieces. I finally ordered an adapter so I could plug an astro camera in. Here's the improperly debayered result. I'm not certain what happened with the debayering; I've shot color video with this camera in AVI format before without any problems, but this time it was not debayered. Oh well. Still fun.

https://youtu.be/cPVboLUaByo

• ButterFly likes this

#2 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 March 2021 - 06:40 PM

I have no idea what camera that is, but cooled cmos can work very very well.

Look into dark field microscopy.  If it accepts filters between the condenser and the specimen light source, make yourself some colored masks.

Edited by ButterFly, 16 March 2021 - 06:42 PM.

• Borodog likes this

#3 Borodog

Borodog

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2021 - 06:48 PM

It's an SVBONY SV305, an inexpensive small sensor uncooled planetary camera. Your link looks very interesting. I'll have to see if the microscope can use filters.

#4 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:24 PM

Have fun with it.  Contrast is king.  Googling microscopy contrast will teach you the jargon to push terms for more specific things you can do with your setup.

Any modern cmos will do just fine.  There is nice detail in your capture.  It's just hard to make it out without some contrast improvement.  With astronomy, the specimen is the light source.  That leaves limited options for contrast improvement,  With microscopy, we pick the illuminating source and how it's illuminating.  Many more options open up.

• Borodog likes this

#5 Borodog

Borodog

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:51 PM

It doesn't appear that there is any special mechanism intended to hold a filter above the light source, but it is open so that you can just place a filter on top of it. It's one of these, by the way:

Attached Thumbnails

• microscope.jpg

#6 Borodog

Borodog

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2021 - 10:20 PM

This is kind of fun. This is 1% the area of the original. Shot in SharpCap and stitched in ICE.

Attached Thumbnails

• bee_00023 01_58_24Z_stitch.jpg

• ButterFly likes this

#7 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 March 2021 - 01:53 AM

The light source can get hot if it's halogen.  Test the body carefully after it's been on for a while.  Stained glass blanks at your local hobby store can work, but they don't stand up to heat too well.  A safety shield (i.e. carboard box) around the stage is easy to set up so why not.

There's plenty of room for a polarizer, if you happen to have one handy.

It's so gross and hairy I can't look away.  Find some diatoms!

• Borodog likes this

#8 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Vermont, US

Posted 17 March 2021 - 10:23 AM

It is likely that there is indeed a filter holder on the bottom side of the condenser which is above the light and below the stage.  It is rare for a binocular microscope to have none.  At a minimum, they would include the filter holder on the bottom of the condenser to correct the color of the light.

Patrick

Edited by PatrickVt, 17 March 2021 - 10:24 AM.

• Borodog likes this

#9 stomias

stomias

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Blue Island IL

Posted 19 March 2021 - 02:33 PM

Recently started microscopy. For color, I had a couple different versions of these     I've experimented with these in various places in the condenser. Also with darkfield stops with varying success.

https://www.edmundop...a8aAsC7EALw_wcB

Edited by stomias, 19 March 2021 - 02:33 PM.

• ButterFly likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics