•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need help with validation of a smart phone web application for star-hopping - that works like cell phone based digital setting circles

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#226 davelpg

davelpg

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 13 June 2021 - 05:00 PM

Nice app, thanks for your work. I bought a new phone today, because my old phone didn't have gyros. I bought a iPhone XR. The app looks good in Safari, and detects me moving the phone around. I will have a new Dob soon and bought a phone mount for it. I originally expected to use Skeye app, but it seems the Apple store does not have a version, so I am trying your app.

Would your app work with the phone in the orientation shown below?

attachicon.gifphonemount.jpg

Give it a try but I think the phone needs to be parallel to the scope tube (see above images in this thread), likely due to how the phone's sensors operate.    

#227 zerogee

zerogee

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 13 June 2021 - 07:12 PM

Nice app, thanks for your work. I bought a new phone today, because my old phone didn't have gyros. I bought a iPhone XR. The app looks good in Safari, and detects me moving the phone around. I will have a new Dob soon and bought a phone mount for it. I originally expected to use Skeye app, but it seems the Apple store does not have a version, so I am trying your app.

Would your app work with the phone in the orientation shown below?

attachicon.gifphonemount.jpg

It won't work in that orientation. Only the top of your phone points to the object you are seeking. The phone must be placed parallel the tube either on top or on the side. I prefer on top since I noticed errors were more likely on the side with my phone.

You do not need a scope or to be outside to see how the axis works with your phone. Just have a look at the Az: and Alt: axis in the bottom corners of the app while playing with the app in different orientations.

• xvariablestarx likes this

#228 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Limerick, Ireland

Posted 14 June 2021 - 03:37 AM

It won't work in that orientation. Only the top of your phone points to the object you are seeking. The phone must be placed parallel the tube either on top or on the side. I prefer on top since I noticed errors were more likely on the side with my phone.

You do not need a scope or to be outside to see how the axis works with your phone. Just have a look at the Az: and Alt: axis in the bottom corners of the app while playing with the app in different orientations.

I might still be able to use the bracket function of that phone mount, at least to keep the phone secure. Maybe I will use some adhesive backed Velcro strips to keep it on the scope. Any other ideas welcome.

#229 aeajr

aeajr

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 18 June 2021 - 09:44 PM

Wow, this is an exciting looking development.  I can't wait to try it out.

#230 Gary Esterly

Gary Esterly

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Shelton, Washington

Posted 26 June 2021 - 11:45 AM

I'm a noob, so bear with me, but will this work with an equatorial mounted Celestron C8? My current setup is an alt-azimuth mount but I am in the process of obtaining a wedge for it. I've looked at your app, it's impressive and I look Forward to trying it out soon.

#231 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 26 June 2021 - 12:54 PM

I'm a noob, so bear with me, but will this work with an equatorial mounted Celestron C8? My current setup is an alt-azimuth mount but I am in the process of obtaining a wedge for it. I've looked at your app, it's impressive and I look Forward to trying it out soon.

In my experience, yes, it will work on an equatorial mount. However, its accuracy may be impacted since the phone will be titled side-to-side in some parts of the sky (actually in most parts of the sky). This was discussed in an earlier post by the OP ( __HERE__ ) and in a sequence of test that I performed __HERE__ (although the performance of the app may have improved since then as I appear to have been the principal contributor in the very earliest testing).

In any case, I'd say to try it since it will probably work fairly well anyway.

#232 artik

artik

Mariner 2

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 03 July 2021 - 02:57 AM

Version 0.99.2 Released:

• Fixed a bug of some of icons not being displayed properly on Samsun browser: compass, hand and settings icons
  • Planets are now valid targets for alignment in addition to stars
  • New option to allow alignment on DSO objects was added to make hopping over multiple objects smoother

Regards,

Artyom Beilis

• RobertJ, redbaron12, psandelle and 3 others like this

#233 R.bak

R.bak

Vendor (R-Sky)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Russia

Posted 15 July 2021 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for your web application. Last night I tested it on my dob. The sought objects fell into the field of view of the 24mm 82 * eyepiece and were either in the center or close to the center.

The only moment. Where the sky is dark, there is often no internet. I am using IOs. I want to invite you to consider the option of assembling your program into a PWA application. Then it can be saved to your desktop and it will not depend on the Internet.

• artik likes this

#234 artik

artik

Mariner 2

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2021 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for your web application. Last night I tested it on my dob. The sought objects fell into the field of view of the 24mm 82 * eyepiece and were either in the center or close to the center.

The only moment. Where the sky is dark, there is often no internet. I am using IOs. I want to invite you to consider the option of assembling your program into a PWA application. Then it can be saved to your desktop and it will not depend on the Internet.

Unfortunately I nether have iPhone or Mac to develop as an app. It should be trivial app - all needed to run local https server that servers one page. Note you must have https server since some of the features like access to gyro are allowed only when working over SSL.

Good thing it that the app is free-open-source software so anyone who has iPhone and has iPhone development environment can write such an app... So of somebody here can do it, I'll gladly accept it.

Edit: wasn't aware of PWA... interesting need to investigate. Are you sure PWA work on iPhone?

Edit2: I tried to run PWA it for Chrome - it didn't work. It does not run JavaScript in offline mode... but maybe I miss something

Edit3: I think I indeed miss something I need to learn PWA deeper 

Edited by artik, 15 July 2021 - 01:22 PM.

#235 R.bak

R.bak

Vendor (R-Sky)

• Vendors

Posted 15 July 2021 - 03:07 PM

I'm afraid you misunderstood. You can do it yourself for your link. Read about PWA on Google.
You can try to do this with a generator https://anytools.pro/en/seo/pwa

#236 R.bak

R.bak

Vendor (R-Sky)

• Vendors

Posted 15 July 2021 - 11:50 PM

I have not seen your additions to the post.
Yes, this should work on all devices. For offline work on Ios, you need to transfer the page to the desktop through the browser. And then the Application Icon appears on the desktop and the application works autonomously.

• psandelle likes this

#237 artik

artik

Mariner 2

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2021 - 01:18 PM

I have not seen your additions to the post.
Yes, this should work on all devices. For offline work on Ios, you need to transfer the page to the desktop through the browser. And then the Application Icon appears on the desktop and the application works autonomously.

I tried, used the PWA generator but I cound't get it to work offline I get the message from the app that there is no internet connection? From what I read PWA should be able to work offline by design... so I probably miss something.

Are you familiar with PWA? If so can you create a files I need/modifications (from existing skyhopper.html) so I can try it and put to the version? 

#238 polmont

polmont

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 August 2021 - 01:52 PM

Hi Artik,

am I doing something wrong ?,  the app is workin great, but sometimes it doesn't find the DSO for some reason.  I tried ex: NGC7023, NGC6946.

Any idea what could that be ?

Thanks.

#239 zerogee

zerogee

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 04 August 2021 - 03:13 PM

Hi Artik,

am I doing something wrong ?,  the app is workin great, but sometimes it doesn't find the DSO for some reason.  I tried ex: NGC7023, NGC6946.

Any idea what could that be ?

Thanks.

The app does not have complete catalogs. Some objects will need to be added manually by the user.

From the Manual...

https://github.com/a...md#user-objects

https://github.com/a...E.md#watch-list

Also see post 216 and 217 for more clarification if needed.

#240 polmont

polmont

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 August 2021 - 04:41 PM

Well, sometimes you need somebody to open your eyes......, thank you for the pointer, I did it, and it works like a charm.

#241 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Viking 1

• Loc: North Texas

Posted 01 September 2021 - 09:54 AM

R.bak,

this reply is a little late but I just found this great web app and look forward to using it when the sky is clear.

I just tested Sky Hopper in offline mode with Safari and got it to work.  Here's the steps I used:
 1. Go to Settings->Safari and scroll to the bottom under the "READING LIST" section and turn on "Automatically Save Offline".
 2. With WiFi/Celluar enabled, go to the link for Sky Hopper ( http://artyom-beilis.../skyhopper.html )
 3. At the bottom of the Safari screen click the "Share" icon
 4. Scroll down and select "Add to Reading List"

5. Close the Skyhopper "tab" in Safari

6. Go to Settings and disable WiFi

7. In Settings turn on Airplane Mode

8. Open up Safari

9. Create a new tab and at the bottom click the Bookmarks icon

10. From the top of the Bookmarks window select the eyeglasses icon (reading list)
11. Select "Sky Hopper - Web Application for Sky Navigation"
12. It should open up and behave just as if it were in online mode

One final note, from within the "Reading List" selection you made need to click "Show All" in the lower left corner once you've loaded it.  Safari defaults to only showing unread thinking that once you've read a page that you've saved you don't want to see it again.

Edited by jpengstrom, 01 September 2021 - 09:56 AM.

#242 Spile

Spile

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK

Posted 01 September 2021 - 04:01 PM

This appears to use the same principle as SkEye’s indirect mode. One issue with that is magnetic interference from the OTA.

#243 KT Gramps

KT Gramps

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 September 2021 - 04:25 PM

I wonder whether interference is why, despite using several different phones, my azimuth movements were way out as I described earlier?

We have both telephone and power lines near by.

Thoughts?

#244 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Viking 1

• Loc: North Texas

Posted 01 September 2021 - 04:43 PM

This appears to use the same principle as SkEye’s indirect mode. One issue with that is magnetic interference from the OTA.

I wonder whether interference is why, despite using several different phones, my azimuth movements were way out as I described earlier?

We have both telephone and power lines near by.

Thoughts?

As far as I understand it the gyros in your phones which are used by this web app (it only uses the compass once at startup to get the general direction you're pointing) should be unaffected by magnetic fields.  I have yet to test this app on my scope but I will be doing that the next clear night I have which will probably be tomorrow or Friday night.  I'll report back on my experience.

• Second Time Around likes this

#245 Boomanbb

Boomanbb

Lift Off

• Loc: Richmond VA

Posted 01 September 2021 - 09:02 PM

Thanks, this is the exact app I was.looking for.

#246 AaronH

AaronH

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 September 2021 - 05:26 AM

I've attached a very simple implementation of pinch-to-zoom. It's the most basic implementation I could think up.

Firstly, I added a change to the body CSS. Safari on iOS doesn't respect the viewport meta tag's scalable attribute, so it still pans and zooms the whole page when you do any touch interaction. When panning, this is a mild distraction. When zooming, it's a real problem.

Adding "touch-action: none;" fixes that:

body { font-size: 5mm ; color:red ; font-family: sans; background-color:black; touch-action: none; }

Then I hooked into the manualDown and manualMove functions and checked if there were two fingers being used. If so, I assume they're pinching and call through to two new zoomStart and zoomMove functions instead of the standard operations.

function manualDown(e)
{
        if (e.touches.length == 2)
        {
                zoomStart(e);
                return;
        }

function manualMove(e)
{
        if (e.touches.length == 2)
        {
                zoomMove(e);
                return;
        }

var global_scaling = false;
var global_dist1 = 0;

The first of these functions just saves the state ("we're scaling now"), and logs the initial distance between the fingers.

function zoomStart(e)
{
        global_scaling = true;
        global_dist1 = Math.hypot(
                e.touches[0].pageX - e.touches[1].pageX,
                e.touches[0].pageY - e.touches[1].pageY);
}

The second of these functions, called when a finger has moved, looks to see if we're scaling, and if so, it checks whether the distance between the fingers has increased or decreased, and adjusts the FOV accordingly.

function zoomMove(e)
{
        if (global_scaling)
        {
                global_scaling = false;

var dist2 = Math.hypot(
                        e.touches[0].pageX - e.touches[1].pageX,
                        e.touches[0].pageY - e.touches[1].pageY);

if (dist2 < global_dist1)
                {   
                        incFOV();
                }

if (dist2 > global_dist1)
                {
                        decFOV();
                }
        }
}

I checked it on a couple of devices here, and it works as intended. Hopefully without breaking much!

I've attached the patch as a diff against the current skyhopper.py from master. You can just patch with patch skyhopper.py < skyhopper.diff.

Attached Files

Edited by AaronH, 09 September 2021 - 07:06 PM.

• davelpg likes this

#247 artik

artik

Mariner 2

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:28 AM

Cool 

I'll test it ASAP thanks!!!!

• davelpg likes this

#248 artik

artik

Mariner 2

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2021 - 04:33 AM

First of all thanks for your work!

I noticed a problem with this part

touch-action: none;

Effectively it disables scrolling in settings menu - so I can't reach some parts of the settings/manual.

Can you look for another workaround for iOS? I can't test it on iOS I have no one.

Regarding a patch: notice the original source code is skyhopper.html, skyhopper.py is autogenerated by deploy.py.

Take a look on this: https://github.com/a...E_developers.md

I suggest clone the repository from github - this way it will be much easier to create a patch and prepare commits.

There some other minor things like not smooth zooming but this I can fix easily.

Thank!!!

#249 AaronH

AaronH

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2021 - 06:15 AM

Effectively it disables scrolling in settings menu - so I can't reach some parts of the settings/manual.

Can you look for another workaround for iOS? I can't test it on iOS I have no one.

Thanks for finding that bug. I'll take a look at whether I can just style the main map, rather than the settings page as well (or just change the CSS via the DOM when opening settings).

This was a quick lunchtime patch, so I didn't have time to do much testing. I should have more time this weekend to take a look at the full source and get things working properly.

#250 artik

artik

Mariner 2

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2021 - 06:28 AM

Thanks, I appreciate this. Maybe you can add style to canvas itself I raw the map on?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics