•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Optically speaking.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 May 2004 - 09:25 PM

Ok everyone. I have compiled a small list (attached) of Maks that I am interested in purchasing. The list is between Orion, Meade and Celestron. (favoring the later two) For the same cash as a Meade ETX90 I can purchase a Celestron C130. The question is: which of the two brands are optically better than the other? I would like to have crisp images. So if sacrificing some aperture to obtain a better image so be it. I am looking for some recommendations before I lay down the cash. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

#2 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:06 PM

I'm not sure there is any significant difference in the optics between those brands. I think it comes down to the specs of each scope and what you want.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2004 - 09:33 AM

You know that's what I was thinking but from some of the reviews I have read people seem to be giving Meade better comments for optics. So I just wanted to see what everyone here has to say.

So where in Japan are you?

I spent 5yrs years in Okinawa Japan......

#4 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:56 PM

Ok everyone. I have compiled a small list (attached) of Maks that I am interested in purchasing. The list is between Orion, Meade and Celestron. (favoring the later two) For the same cash as a Meade ETX90 I can purchase a Celestron C130. The question is: which of the two brands are optically better than the other? I would like to have crisp images. So if sacrificing some aperture to obtain a better image so be it. I am looking for some recommendations before I lay down the cash. Thanks in advance!

Let's take things in order here:

1) The Meade and Celestron brands are close enough optically that variations between individual pieces are more likely to play an effect. Don't buy because of optics worries, buy because of features, price and reliability. I have owned both brands several times over, though of the Mak's only an ETX-90RA.

2) The C-130 is *without a mount*. If you add a CG-5GT mount to get GoTo capability, the price is now over $1,000 and comparable with the ETX-125 with UHTC -- though IMHO the CG-5 would be by far the superior mount -- and allow you to mount additional OTA's. I have a CG-5 now with 2 OTA's, and am thinking of adding the C-130 for a 3rd.

3) Don't think that (in today's world and with established brands) ANY "quality" difference would possibly make up for a 90mm vs 130mm difference! You are talking double the light-gathering power and 40%+ more resolution. But the ETX-125 is a reasonable alternative (I haven't seen published weights, but it is much lighter when mounted pn the 884 tripod (a much lighter and less solid tripod than the one that comes with the CG5) than the CG-5/C-130 combo, more of a "grab and go" scope.

4) Finally the C-130 would normally be mounted on a GEM (or Alt-Az as a spotting scope) while the ETX's are forks. With GoTo it doesn't matter that much, but the fork has a convenience edge.

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:46 PM

Stelios,

Thank you very much for the excellent reply! That's what I was looking for..... As for the scopes use, I am interested in it as a telephoto lens for my camera and as a grab and go for astronomical objects. I believe the bang for the buck will have to be the C 130. Although as a telephoto lens it will probably have a much narrow field of view than the others. For now it will be mounted to my SLR camera and tripod. I am sure viewing the moon will be ok but bumping the power will probably be to much for the mount. I think I will end up getting the celestron.... If you have anymore thoughts please let me know. This is a fairly complicated decision process. At least more so than deciding what size dob to build. The biggest I can afford of course...LOL It's only a 12.5" truss tube. But my next scope .............

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics