•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ready? Player One cameras!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• Loc: Arctic

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:20 PM

Thanks, that’s good to know about the build quality. I’m just learning about this stuff , but my understanding is that both the Sony IMX462 sensor that the Player One Mars C color camera, and the ZWO ASI462 MC are based on , and the Sony IMX464 sensor are very sensitive in the near infra-red end of the visible spectrum. Light in that part of the spectrum is said to be less effected by atmospheric turbulence. If cameras based on the Sony IMX462, or Sony IMX464 sensors are used with a 685 nm pass filter (or 650 nm pass filter?) limiting the light to the near infra-red (and above ?) they effectively will be operating as mono cameras which could be a good alternative when atmospheric turbulence is an issue. The unusually high sensitivity of the cameras to light in the NIR also allows shorter exposure settings and higher frame rates when using a 685 nm pass filter. If one uses the camera with a UV/IR filter as you have been doing the cameras operate as color cameras. Seems that’s a good choice for the planets, and also for the Moon when the seeing is better.  If I buy a Sony IMX462, or SonyIMX464 sensor-based camera I plan to get both a 685 nm pass, and UV/IR filter to use with it.

Someone used a IMX462 sensor with 850 nm pass filter to get distant quasars with red shifts of over 6. IMX462 based cameras can be used for deep sky.

https://www.cloudyni...ove-redshift-6/

Edited by Ptarmigan, 07 May 2021 - 07:22 PM.

• Newlook19 likes this

#27 Newlook19

Newlook19

Sputnik

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:39 PM

That is correct.

Thanks.

#28 Newlook19

Newlook19

Sputnik

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:44 PM

Someone used a IMX462 sensor with 850 nm pass filter to get distant quasars with red shifts of over 6. IMX462 based cameras can be used for deep sky.

https://www.cloudyni...ove-redshift-6/

I’m more into imaging our Moon and the planets, but that is interesting. Thanks.

#29 GSBass

GSBass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 16 May 2021 - 08:16 AM

Considering selling my 485 which I’ve only had for a couple months to get this instead, although the chip is smaller it would still get used a lot more because I shoot in infrared so much, so far my favorite combo is the 642 paired with the 462c, often better results than using the standard 850 filter

I’m more into imaging our Moon and the planets, but that is interesting. Thanks.

#30 Newlook19

Newlook19

Sputnik

Posted 16 May 2021 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for your reply. I presume you’re referring to the :https://optcorp.com/...ter-1-25-p642-1   ?    It looks like it might work well with the a 462c camera for our Moon . Have you had a chance to try that ?

Edited by Newlook19, 16 May 2021 - 03:52 PM.

#31 Newlook19

Newlook19

Sputnik

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:05 PM

Yes it works great, here is one daytime infrared I took with the combo through my mak

That’s a terrific image ! - really great. It’s amazing it’s a daytime image. I saw a  similar quality image recently that was made with a ZWO ASI 462mc, and a Baader 685nm pass filter. Both your image and that one are outstanding for their sharpness and detail, and for their mid-tones and fullness of forms as well. Thanks a lot for sharing. Love to see more.

#32 GSBass

GSBass

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 May 2021 - 05:28 PM

Thanks, I do them pretty frequently and try to add them to the lunar image forum, as usual for lunar and planetary you need to stack and adjust but it’s a very capable combo

That’s a terrific image ! - really great. It’s amazing it’s a daytime image. I saw a  similar quality image recently that was made with a ZWO ASI 462mc, and a Baader 685nm pass filter. Both your image and that one are outstanding for their sharpness and detail, and for their mid-tones and fullness of forms as well. Thanks a lot for sharing. Love to see more.

#33 Newlook19

Newlook19

Sputnik

Posted 16 May 2021 - 05:48 PM

Thanks, I do them pretty frequently and try to add them to the lunar image forum, as usual for lunar and planetary you need to stack and adjust but it’s a very capable combo

Thanks, that’s great to hear (and see!). Thanks also for the info on the lunar image forum. I’ll look for your posts there. 

• GSBass likes this

#34 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 May 2021 - 11:07 AM

I found this recent post on by someone who was testing out the new Neptune C II using the IMX464 CMOS sensor. I hope he does not mind me putting a link to his image and information.

Steve

https://www.facebook...ages_you_manage

#35 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 May 2021 - 12:36 PM

After seeing some great results using this planetary camera, I am not too sure if I should buy this camera for the planets or should I just use my ZWO 183MC?

Steve 

#36 GSBass

GSBass

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 May 2021 - 12:41 PM

Would probably be easy to sell one without taking to big of a hit if you just wanted to try

After seeing some great results using this planetary camera, I am not too sure if I should buy this camera for the planets or should I just use my ZWO 183MC?

Steve 

#37 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 May 2021 - 11:43 AM

Would probably be easy to sell one without taking to big of a hit if you just wanted to try

This is true, thank you.

Steve

#38 GSBass

GSBass

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 July 2021 - 06:25 AM

Played around with the imx464 Neptune last night, found it curious that the usb traffic controller is missing in camera controls via sharpcap….I’m just use to having adjust that control to max out the frame rate on Qhy cams….. having said that it was showing a 92 frame rate as advertised. The only other issue I ran in to right away is I’m apparently going to have to screw the Neptune to my mirror box to get it parfocal with the reticle eyepiece…. That step does make you appreciate the 1.25” barrel cams as far as the ease of swapping out cams and doing simple camera rotation for framing.  In other words it does complicate things some by adding a different manufacture to the mix. I’ll review performance later, looks promising but need more time with it

#39 GSBass

GSBass

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 July 2021 - 06:46 AM

A couple more things, the moon was in my trees last night but I did point the 102edl at it with the Neptune…. So 714mm fl and it appears it will fit 3/4 of the moon in with a little space on each side, I think I consider that a win, you should be able to fit most phases in if you have a similar fl. The other thing I’ll mention is packaging, they went with a robust cardboard box that opens like a drawer, it’s fine but since I store stuff in the garage I would have preferred a tin. 

#40 MarMax

MarMax

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 July 2021 - 11:13 AM

I have been searching for info on the Neptune-CII camera and just noticed this thread. Being in the EAA forum I guess all the links are because of the rules. I've only had the Neptune-C11 for about a week and don't really know anything about SharpCap and FireCapture but intend to learn the basics.

Here is a Moon pic with the 61mm and a Jupiter pic with the C11.  I'll follow this thread and keep an eye out for tips on the camera.

The hand-me-down carp laptop I've set up with Window 10 Pro is having some screen issues so I'm planning on recycling it and buying a new one. I'd like to be ready to try some DSO live stacking for the new Moon.

EDITED to add an image of the various FOVs for my scopes using reducers to keep the widest field. It's interesting that only the 61mm can provide a full disc Moon. The C11 field is using the f/3.3 reducer which works out to about f/4 in this application.

Edited by MarMax, 22 July 2021 - 11:19 AM.

#41 GSBass

GSBass

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:15 PM

Love your Jupiter pic, very nice

I have been searching for info on the Neptune-CII camera and just noticed this thread. Being in the EAA forum I guess all the links are because of the rules. I've only had the Neptune-C11 for about a week and don't really know anything about SharpCap and FireCapture but intend to learn the basics.

Here is a Moon pic with the 61mm and a Jupiter pic with the C11.  I'll follow this thread and keep an eye out for tips on the camera.

The hand-me-down carp laptop I've set up with Window 10 Pro is having some screen issues so I'm planning on recycling it and buying a new one. I'd like to be ready to try some DSO live stacking for the new Moon.

EDITED to add an image of the various FOVs for my scopes using reducers to keep the widest field. It's interesting that only the 61mm can provide a full disc Moon. The C11 field is using the f/3.3 reducer which works out to about f/4 in this application.

• MarMax likes this

#42 MarMax

MarMax

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted Yesterday, 02:10 AM

Another question for the 464 sensor is if there is any difference on the IR cut side between the filter that came with the Neptune-CII or an Optolong L-Pro? I have a 1.25" L-Pro filter and if it's better than the IR cut that came with the camera why not use it.

• GSBass likes this

#43 GSBass

GSBass

Surveyor 1

Posted Yesterday, 06:44 AM

Most likely just depends on light pollution in your area, I suspect image will be dimmer with op-l  affecting exposure and gain settings…. Judgement call

Another question for the 464 sensor is if there is any difference on the IR cut side between the filter that came with the Neptune-CII or an Optolong L-Pro? I have a 1.25" L-Pro filter and if it's better than the IR cut that came with the camera why not use it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics