•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Struggling to get setup to see QHY camera *and* QHY guider

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DaveB

DaveB

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 21 March 2021 - 04:35 PM

I'm guessing that this is a Windows 10 driver issue, but I've been struggling for a while with it. I have the QHY268M and filter wheel working with SGP via ASCOM, and now I'm trying to get the QHY5IIL autoguider installed and have PHD2 work with it. But I can't figure out how to get it to show up in either PHD or ASCOM. Some questions:

• Do I need to go through ASCOM, or does PHD hook directly with the camera?
  • Do I need to install any QHY drivers besides the All-in-One beta driver? I've tried using that and also I've installed the QHY5LIIASCOMSetupV1.2.1.0.exe driver, but no luck with either method.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I would read the manual...if there was one. foreheadslap.gif

Thanks,

Dave

#2 DaveB

DaveB

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2021 - 04:48 PM

Never mind, at least ASCOM can see it now with the driver that was installed with QHY5LIIASCOMSetupV1.2.1.0. I wish that I could describe the steps that I went through to get it working for future readers of this post, but unfortunately it was mostly trial and error. The only points of note are that it doesn't use the all-in-one driver (at least in my case) and that it's important to install the driver before you connect the camera. That is a general rule for all QHY cameras from what I can tell.

#3 MrDan

MrDan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 21 March 2021 - 05:57 PM

This is a tremendous struggle which I have been dealing with ALL Day. There has been much written about the QHY5II. Some folks cruise right thru it others are a little slower. (myself included) From what I gather, most of it boils down to USB connectivity and/or drivers. There is a very interesting thread going on right now entitled "Native or ASCOM and Why?". Some folks have resolved the issue of connectivity by running a dedicated usb cable to a separate port on the pc but I find this impractical and unnecessary with a powered hub. I am quite new to the software side of this endeavor so the problems I encounter could very well be totally self induced, however I am not a nincompoop and I have extreme patience. Myself, I am having problems with two pieces of software in particular which are included in the OP's post. I can see all of the cameras (Ascom and Native) in "PHD2" and "Sharp Cap". If I select the native QHY5II to connect, "Sharp Cap" just up and quits. If I select "Ascom" I get a nice image for 10 to 20 seconds and then it freezes. "PHD2" I get absolutely nothing. My new ZWO 533 is ROCK SOLID in both programs (which eases my pain). Sooooo QHY5II......"What's Up?"

#4 sbharrat

sbharrat

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 21 March 2021 - 08:10 PM

This is a tremendous struggle which I have been dealing with ALL Day. There has been much written about the QHY5II. Some folks cruise right thru it others are a little slower. (myself included) From what I gather, most of it boils down to USB connectivity and/or drivers. There is a very interesting thread going on right now entitled "Native or ASCOM and Why?". Some folks have resolved the issue of connectivity by running a dedicated usb cable to a separate port on the pc but I find this impractical and unnecessary with a powered hub. I am quite new to the software side of this endeavor so the problems I encounter could very well be totally self induced, however I am not a nincompoop and I have extreme patience. Myself, I am having problems with two pieces of software in particular which are included in the OP's post. I can see all of the cameras (Ascom and Native) in "PHD2" and "Sharp Cap". If I select the native QHY5II to connect, "Sharp Cap" just up and quits. If I select "Ascom" I get a nice image for 10 to 20 seconds and then it freezes. "PHD2" I get absolutely nothing. My new ZWO 533 is ROCK SOLID in both programs (which eases my pain). Sooooo QHY5II......"What's Up?"

There was a similar thread of woes sometime back when trying to run both a ZWO ASI533 and ASI120MM, both with the native driver. I don't recall the details but essentially the two cameras were getting confused in the respective software (or more correctly, the driver as invoked by that software). IIRC the solution was to use ASCOM driver for one of them and native ZWO driver for the other. 

I haven't done this yet but I will likely need to find the thread at some point. Right now I have a ASI120MM for guiding and I plan on getting the ASI533 later this year. 

• MrDan likes this

#5 DaveB

DaveB

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2021 - 10:20 PM

So, a little more detail on my (finally) working setup. I *think* that it boils down to having to run separate driver installers for the imaging camera (QHY268M in my case) and the guide camera (QHY5II). The following steps are a combination of from memory and from reading other posts here. So, they are NOT definitive steps, even in my case. And they are QHY specific. But I think that this is what finally got me going:

1. With no QHY cameras installed, run the all-in-one driver installer. I needed the Beta version for it to accept my QHY268M camera. This installer can be found here: https://www.qhyccd.com/download.html
  2. Reboot the PC.
  3. Plug in the imaging camera.
  4. Run ASCOM diagnostics, which will bring up the this dialog:
    ASCOM diag tool.png
  5. Click "Choose Device", and select "Choose and Connect to Device".
  6. On the window that comes up, select "Camera" from the drop-down menu and click the Choose button.
  7. Select the QHYCCD-Cameras-Capture in the drop down menu, as shown in this screenshot. (Note that the "CMOS QHY5LII option won't be there yet.)
    select camera.png
  8. Then click the Properties... button. That should bring up something like the following dialog:
    ASCOM camera1.png
  9. Configure the settings however you want. At this point, the camera should be visible to any 3rd party app.
  10. Now, run the QHY5II driver installer application. It can be found on this page: https://www.qhyccd.c...=133&id=8&cut=2. I used the "QHY5L-II ASCOM" installer for my guider (QHY5L-II-M).
  11. Reboot the PC again.
  12. Run ASCOM diagnostics again, but select "Choose and Connect to Device (32-bit application)" this time for the guider driver.
  13. On the window that comes up, select "Camera" from the drop-down menu and click the Choose button.
    This time, select the "CMOS QHY5LII" in the drop down menu, as shown in the earlier screenshot. This time, a simpler ASCOM dialog box will appear:
    ASCOM guider.png .
  14. Configure it however you want it (I left both boxes unchecked for now). 
  15. Now, PHD should be able to access it. On PHD, click the "Connect to Equipment" button, which is the small button on the bottom left of the screen that looks like a USB connector. On the dialog that pops up, click on the Manage Profiles menu on top, and select "New using wizard...".
  16. That brings up the dialog box below. Select the "CMOS QHY5LII Camera (ASCOM)" option. When you select that, it will immediately bring up another popup (also shown below) asking if the camera is already connected. I clicked "Yes" and it correctly filled in the pixel size.
    PHD.png

2021-03-22 (1).png
  17. Finish with the PHD wizard, and then you will need to run through the normal PHD calibration. But at this point, hopefully you are out of QHY driver hell.

Again, this is reconstructing a lot of trial and error from memory, so take it with many grains of salt. Hopefully, at least this will point you in a generally right direction.

Edited by DaveB, 21 March 2021 - 11:13 PM.

• MrDan likes this

#6 MrDan

MrDan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 22 March 2021 - 04:58 AM

Thank you for the complete and detailed explanation.  (with pictures even) This will help tremendously. I can't wait to try it out!

#7 DaveB

DaveB

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 March 2021 - 08:10 AM

Sure thing. One more item that I just remembered - Originally, I tried to use the all-in-one driver for the QHY5LII. There *should* be a way to make it work, but I couldn't. So, before starting step 10 above, I went into Windows Device Manager (from the control panel) and uninstalled the driver. It was under the category of "Astronomical Equipment" or something similar. I had both cameras listed there with the same generic name, so I had to unplug the guider and check the properties to see which camera was the guider and then uninstall its driver. Then, I proceeded with step 10.

Again, this is all from memory, so I may be missing some important details.

#8 NeoObserver

NeoObserver

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:34 PM

DaveB,

Thank you so much for the clear step-by-step process. I was stuck trying to install a QHY268M and ASI174mm. I scoured the QHY user forum, Cloudy Nights, YouTube, and Google for help. Your instructions were the only one that was clear enough to really use. Now both cameras are installed and visible in their respective applications (SGP and PHD2).

Again, thank you for taking time to clearly share what worked for you!

David

#9 DaveB

DaveB

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:34 AM

David,

I'm glad that it worked for you. It was from memory, so I was worried that I might have missed a step or two.

Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics