•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orange C8 - drive advise needed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:32 AM

..I've got a C8 from 1980 [bought at Celestron HQ!] but have never used the electric mains drive 'cos it's the wrong voltage for here in UK. How do I convert from scope's 110VAC 60Hz to 240VAC 50hz? I'd appreciate some practical advise.. I've still got [somewhere] the orange fast/slow box :rainbow: TIA.

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:55 AM

Actually what you need to do is step the 240V down to 110V. Check for some store that specializes in overseas travel kit for a converter. When I go overseas I have a kit that allows me to use my electrical devices in any country.

#3 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:06 PM

A while back, Celestron had some 50hz motors available but for 110V. It didn't take me long to realize why the new motors they shipped me set me up for a 20 hour day! Hansen Electric made the original motors but a replacement set from them was a minimum order of 4 at $60US each several years ago.

What you could buy is an inexpensive inverter which converts 12Volts DC into 110V 60Hz AC and run the scope from a "jump start" battery. The drive motors only draw 7 Watts for both, so the smallest inverter will work, but you might have to mail order it for the desired 110V 60Hz output.

If you find the orange drive corrector (fast slow box), those also took 12V DC input from a cigarette lighter plug and will run off a car battery or jump start battery.

Dave

#4 gnabgib

gnabgib

Viking 1

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:33 AM

Instead of "converting" the motors why not try to purchase one of the older drive correctors that run on 12vdc and output 120vac with some control over the motor speed. I am sure a 220vac to 12vdc converter is easier to find than trying to locate some 220vac 50hz motors for the Celestron.
IMHO
Kevin

#5 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:06 PM

..I've got a C8 from 1980 [bought at Celestron HQ!] but have never used the electric mains drive 'cos it's the wrong voltage for here in UK. How do I convert from scope's 110VAC 60Hz to 240VAC 50hz? I'd appreciate some practical advise.. I've still got [somewhere] the orange fast/slow box :rainbow: TIA.

If you've got the drive corrector, does it allow for 12VDC input? If so, there's your answer... if not, then I'd agree with the last poster. Your easiest route (especially for use in the field) is to find a drive corrector/inverter for 12VDC to 110VAC@60Hz. I believe you use the same kind of auto accessory plugs in the UK that we do here in the US...

Another possibility is to get some obliging soul here in the US to send you a 12VDC to 110VAC inverter. Very small ones around (~60W) are available here for US$20. You plug *that* into your 12VDC source and then your C8/drive corrector into it... and Bob's your Uncle. :)

#6 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:34 AM

Thanks everyone for all the sound advise and options - now its clearer which way I should proceed. Thanks;-)

#7 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:40 PM

Using a transformer to step the voltage down from 240V to 110V will not work most likely. Usually, clock motors depend on the Hz in there timing steps. Since this is setup for 110V/60Hz, when you step the 240V down to 120V you still have only 50Hz, resulting in the motor mechanism running slow. People in the military who travel overseas often found their US clock did not work correctly for this reason and still had to buy a European clock while stationed there. The other advice, using either the drive corrector off 12V DC or using the 12V inverter should work fine though.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics