•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unitron 160....the adventure begins

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 Stewc14

Stewc14

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pueblo West colorado

Posted 28 March 2021 - 10:25 PM

Just a quick star test and a look around at m42, moon and a couple other things brought hope back up . Test was good images sharp. No ca. So I feel better

• Max Lattanzi, Bomber Bob, davidc135 and 1 other like this

#52 Stewc14

Stewc14

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2021 - 05:45 AM

Upon examining it I believe I can clean it. I’m not a betting man but the lens could have been installed with the chip. There are no dents , although a quick little knock could be the culprit. Images are sharp. Even at high power. When it is disassembled I would entertain a tube treatment inside. Flocking? , they make a very dark flat paint that is expensive, baffling could be cut at hobby lobby and set up on a thin rail to be inserted. So many questions!!

will try the low planets this am.  Setting up now. No cool down needed.20 mins

• Bomber Bob likes this

#53 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:55 AM

Upon examining it I believe I can clean it. I’m not a betting man but the lens could have been installed with the chip. There are no dents , although a quick little knock could be the culprit. Images are sharp. Even at high power. When it is disassembled I would entertain a tube treatment inside. Flocking? , they make a very dark flat paint that is expensive, baffling could be cut at hobby lobby and set up on a thin rail to be inserted. So many questions!!

will try the low planets this am.  Setting up now. No cool down needed.20 mins

have bought that flat paint for my Q7.   I was out $200 by the time I bought the paint and the special thinner it requires, but it tested to be the darkest black I could find.  

#54 Stewc14

Stewc14

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2021 - 08:47 AM

Very low on the horizon , Jupiter was clean just like the image in the Questar 3.5 at least. With better seeing and clean glass it should be better......... now to find that paint

#55 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 29 March 2021 - 09:05 AM

Just a quick star test and a look around at m42, moon and a couple other things brought hope back up . Test was good images sharp. No ca. So I feel better

I have been making and testing optics for 40 years now and while your results are encouraging they are not a critical test of the optics. You can have an  element flipped or the whole lens backwards in the cell and you would get similar results. Like I said before I know of antique lens were people stated for years that the image was good yet when I tested them found them backwards in the cell or other major problems.

It is highly unlikely that Unitron would ship a lens with a chip. The fact the lens has a clip indicates to me that someone in the past has disassembled it so who knows what is right and what isn't. So in my opinion the lens needs to be critically examined . I would not go by any alignment marks you find.  I have seen many lens were they were taken apart by someone who didn't understand what they were doing, marked them and each time the lens was disassembled and reassembled people,  followed the same wrong markings. 

The first easy test you can do is shine monochrome or semi-monochrome light on it. You should see interference rings between the two elements. They should be round and centered. If not the air gap between the elements is not uniform so something is not right with the spacer. You can use a common CFL bulb to view the interference rings. You should see a pattern very similar to this. This was done using my desk lamp which has a CFL bulb.

- Dave 

lens interference pattern CFL bulb.jpg

• mdowns, Terra Nova, rcwolpert and 2 others like this

#56 Stewc14

Stewc14

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:29 AM

Sorry for dropping out for a bit but have been experiencing covid like symptoms. Lungs seem full,coughing etc. generally feeling way way under the weather.
My only new info is lense has been cleaned.like crystal.
Still figuring on working on the interior of the tube after doing exterior body work. Small dent. Pull it out and fill I guess .
  • Bomber Bob and davidc135 like this

#57 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 04 April 2021 - 11:16 PM

Sorry for dropping out for a bit but have been experiencing covid like symptoms. Lungs seem full,coughing etc. generally feeling way way under the weather.
My only new info is lense has been cleaned.like crystal.
Still figuring on working on the interior of the tube after doing exterior body work. Small dent. Pull it out and fill I guess .

I hope you are feeling better soon.

• davidc135 and Alanvogt like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics