•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6/HEQ5 Pro, Synscan, Skyscan - very confused.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kenny2004

Kenny2004

Vendor - Icodome

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:11 AM

I think this might be a repost, but right now, I"m tying out of frustration, which is a no-no :)

I'm looking at different resources on the Net and am seeing references to the EQ6 mount of 3 levels:

Pro vs Non Pro
Synscan
Skyscan

I believe the synscan is with the dual axis controller.
The Skyscan is with the Goto

But I have no idea what is the Pro. Can someone clarify/verify all this for me?

Thanks.

#2 SamvdHeijden

SamvdHeijden

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:18 AM

I had this confusion to.

Synscan and Skyscan are 2 different names for the same thing.

The pro mounts come with goto and have quite low pe for the mony (atleast the recent models). The non pro no skyscan eq6 has a higher pe then the pro mounts but if you upgrade it with goto it will have virtually the same preformance as the pro mount.

#3 Tim in GA

Tim in GA

Apollo

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:25 AM

I believe that SynScan is the new name for SkySkan, but I could be wrong. I was just looking at an ad from Canada for the EQ6 that used both SynScan and SkyScan in the same description. No wonder it's so confusing!

#4 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:59 PM

I believe that SynScan is the new name for SkySkan, but I could be wrong. I was just looking at an ad from Canada for the EQ6 that used both SynScan and SkyScan in the same description. No wonder it's so confusing!

There was a legal issue with the SkyScan name so they had to change it.

Charlie

#5 mutley

mutley

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

it is very confussing i agree.
i ordered the Heq5 pro(i think thats an orion sirius right?)...and when if arrived, i opened the box and there was a black mount in there...i thought it was wrong, but with all the names being used i wasnt sure...when is an heq5 a heq5 pro. anyways, turned out the wrong mount had been delivered, but took me a bit of head scratching before i worked it out.

cheers
tim

#6 Kenny2004

Kenny2004

Vendor - Icodome

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:32 PM

I thought the HEQ5 Pro was a white mount? That's even more confusing...I see it black as well.

#7 mutley

mutley

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:35 PM

yeah the heq5 and 6 pro are white....need this conirmed by others, but i believe the orion equivilent is black?

#8 SamvdHeijden

SamvdHeijden

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:51 PM

Pro mounts are white as stated. All the others are black.

#9 vic

vic

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:07 PM

Hi Tim,
I can sympathise about the wrong mount being delivered;
I ordered (and paid for) an EQ-6 Pro (white mount and tripod), when the delivery arrived ( after having rushed home from work very excitedly :jump:)I anxiously thought the mount box was a bit small and light, I opened it and to my horror I discovered a black non-go-to HEQ-5 head (HEQ-5 was also clearly written on the outside of the box) and a white HEQ-5 pro tripod :mad: :mad:, the delivery arrived on a thursday so I had to wait until Monday to receive the correct replacement, when I rushed home from work a second time to get my hands on it I discovered that they had failed to bring a replacement tripod and counterweights (at least the much larger mount head was correct this time) I phoned up again and was told that apparently the label had fallen off the tripod box so it was still at the depot :foreheadslap:, I finally got the correct tripod and weights a couple of days later, but was very unimpressed with OVL (the UK Skywatcher distributor) - couldn't the worker at the warehouse have read the writing on the boxes correctly (he clearly wasn't an amateur astronomer!) - surely HEQ-5 reads differently to EQ-6 Pro! :question:
How many times did they screw up before you finally got the right one?
Vic.

#10 mutley

mutley

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:19 PM

ha, vic you are right, mine came from the same place, direct from OVL, the distributer.
fortunately i just had the one screw up...i had the correct tripod and weights, but with the heq5 mount...so i just needed to swap the one box the next day.
compulsory eye tests for all warehouse staff i think huh.
cheers
tim

#11 Kenny2004

Kenny2004

Vendor - Icodome

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:20 PM

Uhm, so what's the difference between the Pro version and the non pro? Both have GOTO Synscan controllers, so this is puzzling.

#12 mutley

mutley

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:32 PM

the pro has synscan goto, the non pro does not...its an available upgrade i think. often you see suppliers advertise the heq5 and 6 together with the seperated upgrade synscan kit, making it appear that the non pro is also a synscan goto, which it is not unless you purchase the add on kit.

#13 Kenny2004

Kenny2004

Vendor - Icodome

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:33 PM

I was just told that the Pro and the Non Pro version are the same with exception of the color - as per the supplier.

White: is the Pro
Black: is the Non Pro

#14 mutley

mutley

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:48 PM

well, i dont believe thats the case kenny. Having had an heq5 on one day and then exhanged it for an heq5 pro the next day, the differance was pretty evident...even leaving aside the colour and the synscan, they are different mounts.

#15 Kenny2004

Kenny2004

Vendor - Icodome

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:05 PM

:confused: :bawling: This is awful.....I spent so much time trying to find out the difference. I can't believe that the manufacturer's website doesn't have any information or matrix chart that tells the difference. And the scary part is, on checking some astronomy stores, I think they are confused just as well because their ads are vague and have no info on the differences.

I think that's why they can easily ship the wrong mount as per up top.

#16 mutley

mutley

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:40 PM

to be honest kenny, im not certain of the story with the eq 6. i can just comment on the 5 as you also mentioned that in the thread tittle.

#17 Tim in GA

Tim in GA

Apollo

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:20 PM

Join up with the EQ6 group on Yahoo. Brady Johnson over there is very helpful and can probably answer all your questions.

#18 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:46 PM

The EQ6 Pro and non-Pro differ by color and, some think, a little better Qualtity Control during assembly. Parts are the same.

#19 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:57 PM

I wonder if it is a lot better QC -- I am very impressed with my (white) HEQ5 Pro. Certainly no Synta-Glue! Very smooth and quiet.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics